Why become a member? ×

Hofner Senator (1963)

Happy Jack

Step back 45 years to the sort of bass your dad (or maybe your grandad) learned to play on.

[url="http://tinypic.com/a/pjwx/3"]http://tinypic.com/a/pjwx/3[/url]

That glorious tobacco sunburst finish is a true picture, it really is that rich. The bass is all original, and has picked up a couple of marks along the way. There's a none-too-obvious blemish on the front and a repaired hole on the back. The neck was re-set in 2007 by the top Hofner man in London (Andy Gibson, who does all of Music Ground's and Macari's Hofners).

The electrics work fine, she's strung with period-correct flats and high-ish action.

Sound? Woody. No, very woody. No really, I mean [i]seriously[/i] woody. Can easily deliver a truly superb, dark dub sound but switch in an instant to a classic Beatles tone.

And the case ... ah yes, the case.

[attachment=21278:DSCF2031.JPG] [attachment=21279:DSCF2032.JPG]

This case has more mojo than Muddy Waters. This case looks like it stepped out to the corner shop in 1969 for a packet of Rothmans and came back 30 years later after touring the States and Japan.

This cased is [b][i]relic'd[/i][/b], OK.

If you want to try this bass out, find a way of getting to Chiswick W4. Alternatively, send me £400 in used fivers and I'll let you try it out in the comfort of your own rehearsal studio.

Jack
07786 251295

Edited by Happy Jack

These are great basses - I've just had one restored (by Andy Viccars) & the tone is fabulous... And they're very light weight as well.
Don't be put off by mention of a neck re-set - virtually all of them have needed this done after 40+ years. Mine did & it plays beautifully now. A great buy at that price!

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='422677' date='Mar 1 2009, 09:15 PM']Step back 45 years to the sort of bass your dad (or maybe your grandad) learned to play on.[/quote]

Or maybe you.

Gee, thanks Jack. I may have to ritually set fire to this if I see you tomorrow ;-)

So we are talking (in a good way, obv) "I seem to have travelled back in time and my bass is making a dull kind of 'thunk' sound" here. I am not trying to de-rail the thread, I really do mean that as a compliment.

Got it in one - if you play down by the nut. "Dull thunk" is about right, and a fabulous tone for reggae.

Play higher up the neck (as McCartney did on his violin bass, for example) and you get a lovely melodic tone which is not at all "thunky" but very tuneful.

Out of interest, I should mention that I'll be listing a 500/5 shortly (that's the original bass on which the President was modelled) which is effectively a 2-pickup version of the Senator. Played with just the neck pickup it sounds exactly like a Senator. The addition of a bridge pickup allows more flexibility of course, and the creation of a more 'modern' sound with a bit of knob-tweaking - if you know what I mean.

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='redstriper' post='423774' date='Mar 2 2009, 10:57 PM']That looks like my kinda bass and if it's still there next time I'm in town late April, I'd like to give it a try.[/quote]

Buy it so I can try it! I cannot possibly justify this, but I would love to try and then persuade myself that I need it. I don't need it. I fancy it. This place is lethal.

[quote name='owen' post='423780' date='Mar 2 2009, 11:06 PM']Buy it so I can try it! I cannot possibly justify this, but I would love to try and then persuade myself that I need it. I don't need it. I fancy it. This place is lethal.[/quote]Owen, buy this BASS.
In all seriousness, Owen, buy this.