Why become a member? ×

Old, talentless and broke

Rufus

Well, maybe. :)

One thing; Hello! :huh:

Rufus here. Maybe I've been here before, but dont know it.........

I'm EVEN OLDER than the old, new members, and almost certainly a worse bass player than they are!

See, I've arrived to ask a question, but I'd better not post it here.

See you somewhere further down the forum!!

[quote name='beerdragon' post='44904' date='Aug 13 2007, 04:55 PM']When i saw your heading i thought my wife had found me :)[/quote]
I have!

Evening, Rufus. Good to have another decrepit old git on the strength. Hell, we'd make a scary group photo. :huh:

Edited by Oxblood

Hi Rufus

Welcome to Basschat... By the way, we're not called oldies anymore.. the new phrase is 'midolescent'.. Look at this from Time magazine this week:

[i]"...Ralph and Wanda made their debut in 1977, when Ralph heard of several new books about the challenge of middle age. (Stanley, the friend who, as part of his "midolescent" crisis, ran off in that episode with a meter maid, makes a reappearance in this week's dialogue.) "[/i]

Sounds pretty good to me! Maybe we're a new breed called 'Bassus Midolescentus' ! :)

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='45154' date='Aug 14 2007, 09:35 AM']Hi Rufus

Welcome to Basschat... By the way, we're not called oldies anymore.. the new phrase is 'midolescent'.. Look at this from Time magazine this week:

[i]"...Ralph and Wanda made their debut in 1977, when Ralph heard of several new books about the challenge of middle age. (Stanley, the friend who, as part of his "midolescent" crisis, ran off in that episode with a meter maid, makes a reappearance in this week's dialogue.) "[/i]

Sounds pretty good to me! Maybe we're a new breed called 'Bassus Midolescentus' ! :huh:

Nik[/quote]

Hummmm
Welcome Rufus .. age is just a state of ... er what was it again? and why did I come upstairs ? :)
Midolescent Git

PS [url="http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?sectioncode=22&storycode=18289"]Here's and article from Bass Player Mag [/url]about being perceived as old by your band mates

Edited by OldGit

Welcome aboard.

As Jack Bruce would have it , we oldies have the 'gift of time'.

I first picked up a Bass guitar 4 months ago and got a feel for it almost right away.

Only 'age minus' is that I have more problem remembering the structure (verse chorus bridge) of tracks , than I did as young acoustic guitarist.

I think , as you get older , you develop a better feel for music anyway.

[quote name='BassBomber414' post='45508' date='Aug 14 2007, 11:18 PM']Welcome aboard.

As Jack Bruce would have it , we oldies have the 'gift of time'.

I first picked up a Bass guitar 4 months ago and got a feel for it almost right away.

Only 'age minus' is that I have more problem remembering the structure (verse chorus bridge) of tracks , than I did as young acoustic guitarist.[/quote]

A4 pad, big black marker pen :)

Hi and welcome to you Rufus.

This has been the best thread for some considerable time as I attain 50 years of age in a couple of months. Phrases like, '50 is the youth of old age' have been no help, but this thread has done the trick. Bring it on 50, I'm not alone!

Hi Rufus from another oldie - since I came back to Bass last year after a long time away I have been quite happy to relearn everything and loads of new things, and been happy to have an odd jam at home with my wife (pianist) and a couple of friends who are g*********. It's been coming along okay too, and now some clown has offeredme a gig!!.

Nice restaurant, Piano, Bass and Drums, some Jazz , a few standards just my kind of gig really, and then he says "you are old - you will already know all this stuff".

Little does he know - mucho midnight oil being burnt polishing my sight reading skills!!

Steve

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='45154' date='Aug 14 2007, 09:35 AM']Hi Rufus

Sounds pretty good to me! Maybe we're a new breed called 'Bassus Midolescentus' ! :)

Nik[/quote]

you should know that your post will double the number of English speaking links on Google to the word midolescent when Google next spiders this site... there was only the Time article beforehand... now there's this thread... all other links are foreign language...