Why become a member? ×

Acme Low B2 - where can you get them from in the UK ?.

6stringbassist

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='416993' date='Feb 22 2009, 10:20 PM']I'd like to try one or two.

I'm looking for something super uncoloured sounding, I'm probably going to go for a couple of Accugrooves, but I'm kind of interested in Acmes, they always get mentioned when people talk about uncoloured and transparent sounding cabs.

I'd be using my Epifani head with them.[/quote]

Kevin, I have owned the TRI210L by Accugroove. A really sweet cabinet. Very impressive and detailed in the top end. I would suggest if you are gonna go for an Accu', then get one of the bigger cabs, or at least a pair of small ones. Just my thoughts really. Looking at TalkBass, the Jr apears to be the happy medium between size and tone. Personally, I would have loved to have given the Whappo a twirl, but didn't get a chance.

I've also played through an ACME 2x10. I A/B'd it against a Hartke 4.5XL way back.. and to be honest, Both cabinets appeared similar in volume. The Hartke is only about 98dB IIRC.. but I used to happily power one or two of those with my Ampeg SVT 2 Pro (300W) and have little or no problems keeping up with the rest of the band. - I'd be really tempted by the ACME 4x10's! I think they'd be amazing! Speshly driven hard with a stonking power amp! - Oh dear.. a bout of GAS coming lol!!

Stepping back a little... Has anyone else tried sticking HiFi into their Epifani UL cabs? - I have come to realise that I'm not 100% happy with the inherent tone (or EQ) of the tweeter. There was always something I wasn't 100% sure about and it was only when I decided to set up my Amp and Cab for a 'flatter' response that I noticed an annoying peak in the Horn's response.

I grabbed one of my Mission Hifi cabs and uncoupled the BiWire, so I could just use the tweeter with my bass gear . (I turned off the Epifani one) and straight away it sounded WAYYYYY better playing CDs! As it happens, Mission I believe use Audax tweeters, that Accugroove and ACME use. (well.. same make.. different model). I feel that it is either the tweeter itself, or the tuning of the crossover that has the resonant peak to it. Either way, it now annoys me!! ALL THE TIME! - I'm thinking as far as a little upgrade... or maybe sorting out some kind of top box to use.. But I think I'm going to grab maself a couple of Audax (or similar) tweeters to see if it makes any difference. I just need to find out how I will get a tweeter to match the 104dB sensitivity of the Epi' cab.

Food for thought Kev! - It might not be the cab you wanna upgrade!!

p.s. - yeah, you need to order ACME directly.. but they do a no quibble return.. but the cost of shipping may be a pain in the backside, if you don't like 'em!

Incidently, for those who give a monkeys and have an interest in the Epi gear.. I had a very quick snout at the Epi crossover and I think it's a 3rd Order C/L network. The Accugroove TRI210L IIRC was only a first order 'in line' 3.3uF Audio cap by Dayton to the Audax Tweeters. (Not forgetting the reseting fuse and attenuator)

I've got Alex Clabbers Acmes. I use them with a 100W Marshall JCM800 Bass Series head and haven't struggled to get volume out of them despite them having low sensitivity and Acme themselves telling me that 100W wouldn't cut it. They recommend 300W per 2x10.

However, that said, I don't think I'm getting anywhere near the volume out of them that they're capable of. Although I've played with 2 drummers with this rig, one of whom is insanely loud & proud of it. No problem at all. In fact people remark about how loud and full the sound is.

Two works for me better than one - but that's probably due to me underpowering them. They are designed to be the equivalent of a "standard" 4x10.

Alex did order them direct from Acme.

I had a pair too, bought them off another basschatter as a trial but my V8 struggled with two. Did ok with one though but the V8 is rated at 400w so that would tie in with Acme's claim about minimum power. I also tried a Burman head and it made 100w sound like 30w...nice sounding cabs but in my experience you're better off with a lot of power behind 'em.

Yep, Acmes are only direct from the USA. Great cabs and unbeatable if you want to go really low.

The curious thing about AccuGrooves is they claim to be 'audiophile on steroids' but all the AccuGroove cabs sound different to each other, so how can they be all that uncoloured?

[quote name='dood' post='417207' date='Feb 23 2009, 10:14 AM']I grabbed one of my Mission Hifi cabs and uncoupled the BiWire, so I could just use the tweeter with my bass gear . (I turned off the Epifani one) and straight away it sounded WAYYYYY better playing CDs! As it happens, Mission I believe use Audax tweeters, that Accugroove and ACME use. (well.. same make.. different model). I feel that it is either the tweeter itself, or the tuning of the crossover that has the resonant peak to it. Either way, it now annoys me!! ALL THE TIME! - I'm thinking as far as a little upgrade... or maybe sorting out some kind of top box to use.. But I think I'm going to grab maself a couple of Audax (or similar) tweeters to see if it makes any difference. I just need to find out how I will get a tweeter to match the 104dB sensitivity of the Epi' cab.[/quote]

This is where it gets interesting! If you want to get a nice sounding tweetery top-end then you either need a midrange driver and a nice small tweeter or a single huge tweeter (plus a well-designed crossover). If you use a dome tweeter then either you need to match it with low sensitivity woofers and pad back your mid or accept that it won't be loud enough to get flat response. You could use two but it doesn't work very well because the wavelengths are too short to couple properly. If you use a normal sized tweeter with a woofer you end up with a serious gap in the power (sum of on and off-axis) response and either higher distortion levels due to hitting it with lower frequency power or a gap in on-axis response.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='417584' date='Feb 23 2009, 04:45 PM']Yep, Acmes are only direct from the USA. Great cabs and unbeatable if you want to go really low.

The curious thing about AccuGrooves is they claim to be 'audiophile on steroids' but all the AccuGroove cabs sound different to each other, so how can they be all that uncoloured?

This is where it gets interesting! If you want to get a nice sounding tweetery top-end then you either need a midrange driver and a nice small tweeter or a single huge tweeter (plus a well-designed crossover). If you use a dome tweeter then either you need to match it with low sensitivity woofers and pad back your mid or accept that it won't be loud enough to get flat response. You could use two but it doesn't work very well because the wavelengths are too short to couple properly. If you use a normal sized tweeter with a woofer you end up with a serious gap in the power (sum of on and off-axis) response and either higher distortion levels due to hitting it with lower frequency power or a gap in on-axis response.

Alex[/quote]

He he he!!! Now, why did I think it wasn't going to be as easy as I'd hoped!! - It'd be inetresting to see what my options could be.

• 1 month later...