Why become a member? ×

Decent p bass under£350

jassbass

5 minutes ago, Elfrasho said:

Another plus one for bass collection. If I were looking at a cheap p bass or j bass anytime soon, it will be a 2nd hand bc. As long as you can get past the infamous decal

I get the urge to bite when people talk about the headstock logo. As if by coming over all self righteous I could somehow convince myself that it doesn't matter.

It's all about the sound, the feel, I would cry... 

And yet it's the worst thing I've ever seen on the headstock of a bass. Definitely put me off for ages. It was only once I had played the Profile that the urge to try another overcame me. 

They are, mercifully, so good that I can now avoid thinking about it. 

On 09/04/2020 at 14:13, la bam said:

I did a piece on stopping the hum when I did my v4 up.

Itll be under a title something along the lines of 'john deacon bass'.

It's literally taking the scratchplate off and covering what you can with aluminium tape. Costs about £5.

Did it for me.

Is this piece on YouTube or a BC post?

On 09/04/2020 at 14:13, la bam said:

I did a piece on stopping the hum when I did my v4 up.

Itll be under a title something along the lines of 'john deacon bass'.

It's literally taking the scratchplate off and covering what you can with aluminium tape. Costs about £5.

Did it for me.

and I am the lucky person who bought the bass from @la bamand can happily confirm it still does not hum, plays beautifully and sounds really good. 

• Thanks 1

On 08/04/2020 at 19:59, Waddycall said:

I have a 4 year old black and maple Mexican P that I’m looking to move on. Not had the motivation to advertise it yet but it’s  here if you’re interested. Not sure on posting with this lockdown though. Might have to wait til it’s all over.

There is no problem shipping stuff at the moment. Most couriers will collect from your home address.

• 2 weeks later...

On 07/04/2020 at 15:40, stewblack said:

Harley Benton Enhanced is probably the most crazy good value for money anywhere - and is under £300.

On 07/04/2020 at 16:12, bnt said:

Thomann are low in stock e.g. the only available Enhanced PJ as mentioned above is either B-Stock or an unattractive (to me) blue. 🥶

I've been humming and hawing for a couple of weeks, but today I said "stuff it" and ordered the blue Enhanced. The other colours are months away from being back in stock. I may refinish it eventually, but apart from that I see a lot to like if I get a good one. Sandberg-style 6-bolt neck, zero fret, chunky bridge with through-body stringing, PH (not PJ) with a reverse P and a MM.

From the reviews, the MM style humbucker is a bit meh, if I feel the same way I'll consider replacing it with one of these, Wilkinson's version of the Delano Hybrid 4, or maybe even the Delano itself, with switching.

18 minutes ago, bnt said:

I've been humming and hawing for a couple of weeks, but today I said "stuff it" and ordered the blue Enhanced.

Ooooh, exciting. As a HB fan who has, thus far, only shopped in the bargain basement I'm really interested to know what these higher priced models are like. I've seen YT reviews on some trusted (by me) channels but not chatted with any 'real life' users. Please keep us in the loop!

Disclaimer alert:  I'm very much a beginner again after being a pretty poor player 20 years ago and equally so these days.

I have had the Harley Benton enhanced PM for a couple of weeks now and it's amazing for the money. For context I also have a MIM Jazz, Ray34 and G&L Tribute L2500.

The HB is below the Ray and Tribute in terms of the 'feel' you get from the bass, but certainly on par with the MIM Jazz.

Yes the MM pickup is a bit hollow, the preamp isn't the most nuanced but it's great fun to play.

I replaced the MM with a Wilkinson MM and it's improved the sound significantly.  With the blend pot centred it's very quiet but a degree or two either way and it's great.

If I were to be really picky the binding while feeling great  does have the odd stain/blemish on it from construction.

Buy one, now.