Why become a member? ×

The lightweight combo thread

Dropzone

If you divide a combo's power output (Watts) by its weight (Kgs) you get an index of Watts per Kilo which may enable some sort of comparisons:

Watts/Kilo for the combos mentioned here:

Roland D115 = 12
Markbass 151p = 22
Markbass 121p = 30
Eden Nemesis NC115 = 13
Eden Nemesis Rs 210 = 15
Mesa Walkabout Scout = 14

So, Markbass 121p gives best "bang per Kilo" at 30 Watts/Kilo

Could do something similar with Watts/price to get "Bang for buck"... Or maybe even Watts/(Weight X Price)?

Yes, I know, there's an awful lot more to choosing a combo than Watts/Kilo etc, but it may give some sort of start-point for comparisons. Just a thought. I'm bored today.

Steve

I think you are dead right. Watts / kilo is certainly a great starting point. Only problem is the 12" cone coping with a low A. It will do it but when I tried one out it was not a happy bunny and I doubt loud enough to gig even in a small venue with out PA support, however we do have a PA ;-)

I certainly am starting to think the 112 with a 15" extension cab for gigs is the way I am going to go.

So if someone could sell me a 112 cheap I would be very happy.

Exactly - there are no 12" cabs currently available with enough volume displacement (cone area x cone excursion) to handle high SPL 5-string action unless you are willing to give up a lot of bottom. There is a new Eminence 12" on the way that will be able to do this but the downside is the price of a completed cab because it has to be used with a midrange driver unless you're solely playing reggae.

When you first run some excursion related power handling plots of the current 10" and 12" speakers on the market seeing their lack of LF power handling is quite shocking!

Alex

P.S. Those D-basses were great at the old price - they actually make sense as a combo because there is some clever feedback circuitry between speaker and amp, it's not just like a head plus cab in one box.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='419163' date='Feb 25 2009, 12:10 PM']Exactly - there are no 12" cabs currently available with enough volume displacement (cone area x cone excursion) to handle high SPL 5-string action unless you are willing to give up a lot of bottom. There is a new Eminence 12" on the way that will be able to do this but the downside is the price of a completed cab because it has to be used with a midrange driver unless you're solely playing reggae.[/quote]

What exactly is this new Eminence driver that will outperform all currently available models?

If your budget permits i highly recommend trying the Markbass Jeff Berlin Combo. I use one with an extension 15" cab (with tweeter) and have never looked back. The Markbass 15"'s IMO sound quite different to most 15"s that i have tried (Ampeg/Fender/EBS/Trace etc) - they seem to articulate the highs well and holds a good funk sound down, i mainly play reggae though through the Markbass and have to say i feel its also perfect for that dub vibe too.
I was always a 10" speaker guy having used a 6x10 as my main rig with an Eden head...said i'd never use a combo again and wouldn't be a 15"' man...well that kinda went out the window! Try a Berlin if you get chance buddy, Good luck with your search.

[quote name='Rasta' post='419424' date='Feb 25 2009, 05:15 PM']If your budget permits i highly recommend trying the Markbass Jeff Berlin Combo. I use one with an extension 15" cab (with tweeter) and have never looked back. The Markbass 15"'s IMO sound quite different to most 15"s that i have tried (Ampeg/Fender/EBS/Trace etc) - they seem to articulate the highs well and holds a good funk sound down, i mainly play reggae though through the Markbass and have to say i feel its also perfect for that dub vibe too.
I was always a 10" speaker guy having used a 6x10 as my main rig with an Eden head...said i'd never use a combo again and wouldn't be a 15"' man...well that kinda went out the window! Try a Berlin if you get chance buddy, Good luck with your search.[/quote]

I am starting to regret not taking a Berlin when I had a chance. I was trying to get a lower priced and ended up lucking out.

Still fortune favours the brabe ;-)

Cheers

Mike

Just FYI, here's what I do for practice and gigs in very small pubs:

One of these (the top one):

Again, the one on top.....

through - yes, you've guessed it, the MIDDLE one ;) :

So I put the bass into the Digitech GNX-1 set up with certain patches to suit bass, into the Line In of the 150W Crate Power Block into the 15" Sound Re-enforcement cab with the custom baffle and the 12" Bayma 250W speaker.

You can crank up the output of the GNX-1 to drive the power stage of the Crate quite nicely. If I don't need so much power I can use my MXR-80+ instead of the Digitech. You need to do this with the Crate as it's intended for guitar and there isn't much in the way of headroom through the built-in pre-amp.

Easy enough to carry & works pretty well.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne