Why become a member? ×

Benedetti Vigier pickup Problem

Geddys nose

I've got a S2 Vigier Passion I'm refinishing at the moment, Got a John East Pre amp to go in but was going to use the Benedetti P/U's . 

They are resin filled and one of the wires has come off flush with the resin, Is it fixable ?  Could possible drill down and attempt to solder but it would be difficult.

Other than that I might have to get new P/U's which would not be a hardship seeing the Benedetti one are quite noisy being S/C.

1 hour ago, ped said:

Not sure RE the pickups but I’d love to see some pics of the refin process!

I'll take some tomorrow Ped, It was in a pretty bad way when I got it ,dinged everywhere and lacquer missing on the neck. Got the neck sorted out but left

the body until I had time on my hands (Like now!) 

I stripped the finish and like all Patrice's work it a lovely bit of flame maple under the paint. Be a pity to cover it up now really, might just leave it natural colour.

The P/U's had little wings to take the bolts but they had cracked around the holes so I've dremmeled new wings and stuck them on with superglue.

Brilliant looking forward to seeing it. My own Vigier is a bit of a triggers broom as you might know but the magic of these basses is in the ‘chassis’ which works as an amazing platform for your chosen electronics. 

That’s a beauty. Was it difficult to strip down? Also cookie looks just delicious, there must be something in the fact we both have a Vigier and a pug style woofer. 

The pickup looks repairable but like you say, you might be better off putting something else in. The dimensions are a little awkward but perhaps a custom maker could use the same cases? Otherwise I think I found some Barts that are the right size. I believe they’re known as ‘Washburn’ sized. 

Fairly easy to strip but I have access to a few sanders and polishers at work, The hardest part is the paint up to the wood/ graphite bit.

Thanks for the Barts tip I’ll look into them, It is a big pickup to find a replacement the only ones that came close are 5 string P/U’s. 

Pug type dogs are the Vigiers of the dog world 😆

I wouldn't put another pickup on this Vigier as the Benedetti's are terrific pickups. Amongst the best single coil pickups you can find and the originals you have were wired by the late Michel Benedetti himself.

I know that single coils are noisier, but with a good earthed shielding like you did, it will be better than any Jazz Bass...

The repair is quite easy to do. Take your soldering iron to the hottest position, and remove the compound material around the hole left until you find back the metal lug and solder the loose wire back.

Don't inhale the smoke, wear a mask (which everybody has home by these dark days) and do the job outside if possible.

I'm certainly going to have a go at mending the wire and it will be in keeping with Vigier look if I use them and will be cheaper too (Always helps!)

I was pondering sending it off to be done but not many companies are working in these times.

• 2 weeks later...

These are very well thought basses. And they do sound very well. I'm a huge fan of the Delta Metal fretless models by Vigier and owned 3 in the past that I stupidly sold, like a lot of other basses, that said... :facepalm:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...