Why become a member? ×

Wooten

steve-soar

[quote name='steve-soar' post='413800' date='Feb 19 2009, 01:28 AM'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYB-5Ih6i2k&NR=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYB-5Ih6i2k&NR=1[/url][/quote]

Got ya. Hes a fantastic bass player but no soul. Its a shame because when hes interviewed he seems like a very zen nice man. His song writing is to be honest crap though,i have all the albums and to me they are just technique tuition.

I dont know. His audience seem to be on the whole shredder types (This should be reserved as a party trick when everyone tells you to get your bass out) He is payed a lot of money by companys to play like this so it sells gear/dvds etc. He is probably just earning his buck,technically he is fantastic but i get the feeling he is not really going to go down a legend like some of the other ones we know.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='413817' date='Feb 19 2009, 01:57 AM']His playing reminds me of a Guinness Records entrant, loads of effort for nothing much.
Like pogoing across the USA, so what.[/quote]

You got it.Ill stick to music that means something with some cheeky good bass licks snuck in.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='413820' date='Feb 19 2009, 02:00 AM']Yeah you can't really judge a player on what you see at a clinic. Poor sod's got to show off his chops all day every day and it's all going to end up on the internet for people like us to point at and say "No soul".[/quote]

Your right.He is an amazing player. I dont like clinics,it must really piss you off off when you are bearing yourself and some little geek has his note pad out.Give me a proper gig any day.

He's much more pleasant to listen to when he's just laying down a groove. I think one burst of his slappity-dappity stuff is enough for any gig! Mind you, have you heard his brother Reggie Wooten doing the same on guitar? It's as aurally enjoyable as a herd of tone-deaf and nervous cats attempting to simultaneously break the land speed record and establish a new record for largest feline chorus singing Handel's Messiah.

Alex

I don't agree with you there Rich. There is no such thing as "context". There is nothing to understand. To me that smacks of "well you're not intelligent/good enough a player to understand him".
There is undoubtably talent there - someone who has been making music since they were 3 better have something to say - I can't see what all the fuss is about. If he stopped all the tappity slappity double thumbing stuff he would be listenable. I've seen him live and got a few of his solo records (as well as a few Bela Fleck ones) and when he just lays it down he's fine, but not exceptionally musical. I don't like his tone, and when bass players go on tour and take a bass player with them you know something's up ;)

What are you lot on about? I could barely hear the bass on the first video, but what I did pick out sounded groovy enough to me. How exactly do you judge how much soul he's playing with when there's that kind of sound quality on a clip? Looked like he was into it to me.
In that build up clip, I like the bit where he cocks up about the 4th note, shakes his head to himself and noticably stops trying to look cool and pays attention to what he's doing. That's a move he got from me!!!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='413878' date='Feb 19 2009, 09:12 AM']If you hear Victor playing in context, you'll understand it better. Most of his playing is some of the most utterly musical bass playing I've ever heard.[/quote]
Not so sure about that.

I don´t hear much music on his solo records, it sounds more of a circus act for bass nerds to me (no offence intended to anyone else but Wooten ;) ).

One track that I find particularly annoying is his take of "Teen Town" on the Jaco Pastorius Big Band album. The arrangement grooves like heck, he does a wonderful rendition of the actual theme and then, in his solo, after a promising start completely loses it in an abhorring double-thumb orgy that completely ignores all of the changes, melody and groove. It´s really, really awful and makes me want to take a chainsaw to his Fodera every time. To play like that on a studio record that has some of the best players in the business means that you either don´t have any respect, don´t care or don´t see what´s wrong with it. Each option is not indicative of a great musician IMHO.

Saw Vic live with the Flecktones last time they came to UK. He was extremely sensitive and supportive to the rest of the band. I don't think you can judge whether he is a rounded musician on the basis of a few YouTube clips and totally recommend seeing him live if you ever get the chance.

His playing in the Flecktones is often fantastic IMO.

But he has been/will be plagued by the need to always get his thumb out and do the party piece thing.

His groove stuff is brilliant though. Three Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest has some outstanding playing on it that is all about groove - highly recommended!