Why become a member? ×

HELP - I want to play bass but i dont know what to buy!

lukethebassboy

[quote name='chris_b' post='410113' date='Feb 15 2009, 03:39 PM']Get a used Squire starter pack (bass, amp, lead, strap) and take it from there. You get quite a few, hardly used, coming up on ebay.[/quote]

I want some thing that i can also use once i have learnt and am fairly good and how much will it cost roughly

Anyone else have any idears???

[quote name='lukethebassboy' post='410119' date='Feb 15 2009, 03:53 PM']I want some thing that i can also use once i have learnt and am fairly good and how much will it cost roughly

Anyone else have any idears???[/quote]
The starter pack would be £100-£150 ish. After that, if you are still keen, you can carry on using a Squire bass and get a larger combo. Look through the Basschat For Sale section to get an idea of amps for sale and prices. Google is good for additional info.

I would side with the others on this get yourself the starter pack,learning an instrument can be very frustrating and 70% of kids pack it in within a few months,if you start to get more into it you can always sell up and buy a better instrument. A lot of 400 quid plus basses are not designed with novices in mind,you need something simple and forgiving to start with,dont worry that it wont sound good, most top players have the magic in there fingers and they could make any bass sound cool regardless of its price.Good luck.

Edited by YouMa

[quote name='The Burpster' post='410147' date='Feb 15 2009, 04:34 PM']Make yerself a cup 'o tea and read this......

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=8009"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=8009[/url]

Then come back to us with the questions its raises..... ;)

And welcome..[/quote]
Luke, your budget should get you a respectable level of quality in a bass that will last you if you carry on with it. If it were me, I'd be looking at Squier, Cort, SX or Vintage. If you bought off someone on Basschat, you'd likely be getting one that was setup reasonably well.

Small amps are cheap and easy to pick up online or in a music shop as many people trade up. Do you care if the amp is used rather than new?

[quote name='Geek99' post='410160' date='Feb 15 2009, 04:45 PM']Luke, your budget should get you a respectable level of quality in a bass that will last you if you carry on with it. If it were me, I'd be looking at Squier, Cort, SX or Vintage. If you bought off someone on Basschat, you'd likely be getting one that was setup reasonably well.

Small amps are cheap and easy to pick up online or in a music shop as many people trade up. Do you care if the amp is used rather than new?[/quote]

no im not worried about the amp as long as it works.

Buy used with help from a bass player, maybe someone on here.

Buy this Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=40523&view=findpost&p=402380"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=402380[/url]
and you'll be Ok selling it again after you either want to give up or upgrade (not that you'll need to for a while)

I'd say don't buy an SX without help from the folks on here who know them as there are good ones and pretty bad ones..

Plenty of practice amps about for £20 in Cash Converter etc or in your local free ads paper.

Oh and save a few quid for 6 months of lessons. That will get you started the best way.

for the guitar buy a squier vintage modified jazz or precision,if you are lucky you can still buy them new for around£200/£240.go for a amp/speaker combined,(combo)this will work out cheaper.new you will be limited to what you can buy from the rest of your budget,plenty of practise amps around but if you want something now to gig with you really want a 300 watt combo.lots to choose from on here or the bay secondhand. try the guitar out first as you might not like the feel of it.good music stores will have a good selection of basses in your price range so try them all.the bass i recommend will more than hold its own gig wise.as for the combo everyone has their favourite so expect lots of reccomendations.mine,ashdown or older trace elliots .bit heavy to carry about though so be warned.

+1 to all the guys who suggest getting a cheap starter pack. Doesn't have to be the squire one tho (I'm not a Fender fan I'm afraid), but any cheap second hand Ibanez or Rockbass will get you started for £1-200 & you can get a cheap combo for next to nothing that'll be fine for bedroom use until you decide if bass is or isn't for you.
Have a look in the For Sale sections on here, there's some good starter stuff for not a lot of money. Personally I wouldn't spend too much to start with & then if you like it you can put what you saved towards a better combo or whatever.