Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Birmingham Newbie

Dash

Hello!

I've just moved to Birmingham and yesterday retrieved my bass guitar (a Fender Jazz) from storage where it has been for almost a year. I want to get some new strings for it and also get someone to give it a 'service'. Can anyone recommend somewhere in Birmingham where I can get this done? I'm sorry if this is a silly question but I have just moved here and don't yet know for myself which might be good places to try and which should be avoided.

Thanks,

Dash

Learn to "service" it yourself, it's not overly difficult and a good skill to know, providing it doesn't need a stoning or similar (which would have been an issue before it went in storage).

Lots of guides, a couple on here (search the forums and check the wiki), and lots on the interwebs.

If you're really a pansy, there's a stickied list of recommeded repairmen/luthiers at the very top of the Repairs and Technical Issues subforum.

Edited by Buzz

[quote name='Dash' post='409188' date='Feb 14 2009, 12:35 AM']I'm sorry if this is a silly question but I have just moved here and don't yet know for myself which might be good places to try and which should be avoided.[/quote]
Not a silly question at all. Always good to get views on someone you can trust with your pride and joy. Other than that I'm afraid I can't help being nowhere near that area.

[quote name='Buzz' post='409196' date='Feb 14 2009, 01:03 AM']If you're really a pansy, there's a stickied list of recommeded repairmen/luthiers at the very top of the Repairs and Technical Issues subforum.[/quote] I'm still pansy about it (other than restringing, gentle tinkering with the saddles for action & intonation, and batteries) after 30+ years ;)

Thanks to both of you!

Buzz - I intend to learn to service the bass myself but I'm only a beginner and right now anything except restringing is completely beyond me! ;)

Walman - Good to know I'm not the only pansy on this site!

Other than giving it a rub with a clean cloth I'd change the strings and see how it plays. Unless it's been stored in a damp cellar or something I doubt much harm will have come to it.

No battery to go wrong , give the knobs a twist and see if they crackle through the amp (if they do , check back for instructions) , check that the tuners work smoothly , dab of wd40 if they don't.

Just trying to save you a few quid ,mate. Though knowing a decent guitar tech in your area is no bad thing and hope some of our midlands based members can tell you that if there's nothing in the sticky.

BTW - I service my own kit most of the time - but one of my basses is covered in pansys , does that count?

I also know some pansies who have been playing for donkey's years and are petrified of playing with their own truss rod, they're not catholic either.

Assuming your bass is in decent nick, the neck's not warped, and the truss rod does not need much force to turn it, try the following.

Fret the low string at the first fret, use a capo if you've got one. at the same time fret the same string at the twelfth fret. there should be a tiny gap between the string and the 6th, 7th and 8th frets. If it's more than about 0.5m you could tighten your truss rod a 8th of a turn at a time until the gap is tiny. If there is no gap, loosen an 8th of a turn. [b]Righty Tighty / Lefty Loosey[/b] looking along the neck from the end you are adjusting the truss rod at. DO NOT FORCE IT! If it does not want to move, take it to a good music shop with a good repairer. When you've got the gap right you'll probably have the right relief on your neck. Sight down the neck from the body end, in a playing position, the neck should have a slight concave bow in it, away from the strings. Bolt-ons can develop a slight S shaped relief due to the rigidity near where they join the body. To get a very low action you will probably need a fret level in this case. Even my Warwick 'vette has this.

Then adjust the bridge saddles until you can play all the strings at all the frets without getting more than a little fret buzz when played firmly. Any proud frets should make themselves apparent by buzzing more than others. Remember it will be the fret above the one you have fretted the string on. You could then try leveling it with a stone or a fret file but take it to a good shop if you're not confident.

Disclaimer: if you force the truss rod when it doesn't want to move, and it breaks off or you damage your instrument in some way, it is not going to be my fault ;)

[quote name='Buzz' post='411436' date='Feb 16 2009, 08:05 PM']Yeah, that too!

OP:
There's a chap in Warwick that's highly regarded (details in Luthier thread I think), worth a punt if you're on that side of Brum.[/quote]

....if you cant find the thread, it's this guy - [url="http://www.guitartechnicalservices.co.uk/"]http://www.guitartechnicalservices.co.uk/[/url]

Blimey! You are a useful bunch to know, aren't you?! ;) Lots of great info there for me. Thanks Dr.Dave and Sliddx for the technical stuff and cheers to the rest of you for the warm welcomes.

Machines - I'm staying with friends in Kings Heath at the moment until I find somewhere a bit more permanent. I'm working in Digbeth most days.