Why become a member? ×

I'm a cretin

Steve_nottm

So...we had a gig last night at the Boardwalk in Sheffield. Good venue, and gig went well (despite me playing like I was wearing mittens!). We're from Nottingham by the way.

I parked in the multi-storey next to the venue, thinking, best be safe rather than leave it on the street as it's the wife's car and not mine. Went to collect after the gig and the bloody car park was closed and locked up! I didn't spot the (small) sign with the closing times.

So it was a phone call to the (sleeping by this point) missus, her driving up from Nottm to Shef to pick me up and take me (+ gear) home. Then an extremely early start this morning to go and collect the car.

Lesson for us all. Read the signs!

I did exactly the same thing when I went to see Pendulum in Newport. The sign saying that the car park closed at 8:30 was about 6 inches high, dark blue, covered in grime and half hidden behind a lampost in the shadows. We ended up having to sleep in the car until the carpark opened again at 6am. And it was bloody freezing.

I've not done the same thing myself, but i have had to "rescue" people a couple of times when they've done it - this has had the fortunate result of me being VERY aware of times and restrictions.

On a similar note, i have heard of "someone" using car park regulations to their benefit.
They've left my, sorry, THEIR car in a 24 hr car park for several days and then "lost" their ticket when they needed to leave the car park.
This means they've only had to pay the fine of 24 hours parking rather than the much more substantial price of several days.
In theory not actually doing anything wrong, just playing the system.... ;)

What made it slightly worse was that after doing the walk of shame, sans car, back to the boardwalk to have my bandmates take the P*ss, the manager saying "Oh yes, we have someone do that most weeks"

You might have mentioned that to the out of town band!

Bless them though, they did wait with me, sat on the gear, in the cold until my lift arrived.

Steve - if you go a few yards 'uphill' at the side of the Boardwalk there's a turning which takes you right round the back of the venue where it's safe to park just outside a pair of steel gates which are locked. The dressing rooms have a firedoor just outside and a large platform/fore escape (where those of us that way inclined go for a fag) and you can see your cars from there right below you.

Hey mate the boardwalk is a pretty good venue, one of my friends (his dad is my godfather) played with his band there.

As for sheffield, me plus my mum went to see my sister and she parked in a multi storey, then we got a taxi to my sister's house, then my mum thought "oh bugger, the car park might be closed". Turned out it was gonna close at six but after 6 all the car parks without gates (like the one right outside my sister's house) became free! So my mum basically wasted £10 on parking and taxis because she just ended up parking there. So good moral, if you're parking in sheffield on an evening then go to an open car park, they're free after car park closing time.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='407961' date='Feb 12 2009, 07:50 PM']Steve - if you go a few yards 'uphill' at the side of the Boardwalk there's a turning which takes you right round the back of the venue where it's safe to park just outside a pair of steel gates which are locked. The dressing rooms have a firedoor just outside and a large platform/fore escape (where those of us that way inclined go for a fag) and you can see your cars from there right below you.[/quote]

yeah they mentioned that when they knew I was stuck.

[quote name='TheRev' post='406171' date='Feb 11 2009, 12:36 PM']We ended up having to sleep in the car until the carpark opened again at 6am. And it was bloody freezing.[/quote]
You know that small silver colour prong? Put that in the small hole on the dashboard and turn it. You get heat too!!! ;)

[quote name='jonsmith' post='408696' date='Feb 13 2009, 03:33 PM']If it was the NCP there, another sign actually has a number you can ring to get someone to let you out. I only know because I've had to use it before...[/quote]

Not actually an NCP I don't think. And the signs said that any cars left in after 10 would only be released in the morning. no number, nothing.

Never mind, I'm not having much luck with parking and this band, having got a parking ticket on the first gig I did with them, and now this.

Good job I enjoy the gigs!

[quote name='bluesparky' post='406195' date='Feb 11 2009, 12:55 PM']I've not done the same thing myself, but i have had to "rescue" people a couple of times when they've done it - this has had the fortunate result of me being VERY aware of times and restrictions.

On a similar note, i have heard of "someone" using car park regulations to their benefit.
They've left my, sorry, THEIR car in a 24 hr car park for several days and then "lost" their ticket when they needed to leave the car park.
This means they've only had to pay the fine of 24 hours parking rather than the much more substantial price of several days.
In theory not actually doing anything wrong, just playing the system.... ;)[/quote]

I’m surprised you got away with that one cos when a lot of big car parks that charge for keeping cars in overnight shut for the night someone will go round and make a note of the registration numbers of the cars that are left in there, then if someone just so happens to not have a ticket they’ll check their registration number against any cars that have been left over night and charge accordingly…

I worked in a Matalan car park when I was a lot younger and some guy left his car there from Monday morning till Friday evening. Turns out he was a commuter and thought it would be safe to leave the car parked there all week (the Matalan in Pompey is right next to a train station) – we did him for £100 cash (£20 a day) even though he didn’t have a ticket :P Booo Yaaa!

Edited by benwhiteuk