Why become a member? ×

Constant tuning issues

Craigster

On 10/03/2020 at 11:53, lemmywinks said:

Mute the other strings when tuning, even small vibrations from surrounding strings can set some tuners off. Also cheap clip ons are usually electronically great but mechanically suspect - they have weak springs on the clamp part meaning they don't pick up the notes as easily. Use your left hand to increase the pressure, they should work ok in a pinch.

Are you sure? You'll be dampening the vibrations, so no (accurate) reading anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lemmywinks said:

Works for me when I use my cr@ppy clip on tuner. 

I don't have a lot of experience with clip-on tuners, but I found them very sensitive to anything that would reduce the neck vibrations. The first time I tried one I thought it was broken... because I had the habit of holding onto the tuning peg, and that was enough to make it not work very well at all. I have one, as a backup, and I was going to test it right now... but instead of the tuner I found a webcam in the drawer (???) 

I swear I was not using a webcam to try to tune my bass before, THAT was not the issue :D

• Haha 1

I have a TC Polytune clip on and sometimes it has a problem with the E string so I usually use the fifth fret A to tune this. I just use this in the house or as a back up on a gig.

I had a TU 3 but it used to bounce about like the clappers so sold it to guitar boy and bought a Korg Pitchblack which I find much better. Maybe you can alter the setting of the Boss as it seems to be one of the most popular ones but it used to drive me mad on a gig. Now it drives guitar boy mad but it`s all good :crazy: