Why become a member? ×

OLP Stingray.......worth upgrading?

Used an OLP Stingray of all things at rehearsal last night. Despite some minor issues, I thought it played great & sounded pretty fat & funky; surprisingly so. The only thing I did notice was a complete lack of treble; my main Ric (which is a fairly mellow guitar) was a dozen times brighter. With the top end maxed on the Ashdown combo I was using and the bottom turned down it sounded like Bernard Edwards in Chic (not a bad thing...). Is this normal? As the bass felt pretty good, is it worth upgrading the pickup/electronics (the bass cost absolute peanuts)? The neck is really nice. Anyone out there with an upgraded OLP?

if you like the feel of it, go for the upgrades! both olp 5 models i have owned felt pretty cheap and nasty to me, particularly the second one, probably because i was directly comparing it to my stingray. But hey, if it feels great for you, stick a nord in there, and a john east pre and you'll have a cracker ;)

My OLP 4 was a great stopgap while I waited for something to get finished (my Shuker/Parts Jazz), it did the job, and is now a suitable backup to said jazz!

They're pretty easy to upgrade, I dropped a Bart pickup in with an 18v 2band active/passive East preamp, some Schaller tuners and it was great!

Si

All of my basses are "better" basses (bear in mind I've just sold an Alembic and still own a Sei and vintage Rick), but I really like the neck on this, and it seems like there's a pretty good sound buried in there (it sounds good acoustically which is always a good sign). You can't help but get funky on it. I also love the idea of having a really "chuckable" bass for a change.

My issues really were with the cost of upgrading; the more I think about it, the more I think it may not be worth it, as it potentially starts drifting nearer and nearer to used Stingray territory. Have to say though having once used an example of the real thing I actually preferred the feel of this, although that may be atypical. Wish they'd sort out the forearm contour on these things though, it bloody hurts!
One thing I won't be doing is getting some sort of Jazz instead. The only one I've ever got on with is sat in the Bass Gallery and costs £5k. ;-)

Edited by 4000