Why become a member? ×

Really can't decide what to buy

Linus27

I have major GAS for a Precision bass. I am pretty much down to two. The CIJ Fender 51 Re-issue Precision in Sunburst or the MIM Fender Precision 50's Classic Re-issue in Honey blonde.

I adore the look of the '51 precision but I already have 2 sunburst basses and a musicman in natural so I really don't want another sunburst. I also hate the butterscotch colour Fender do. I'm also a bit dubious about the sound out of the single pickup but until I hear it, I just won't know. As for the classic 50's precision. I adore the honey blonde colour and I have heard amazing things about this bass. My only concern is, its not the '51 which I adore the look off and worried that I will still be gassing for a 51' if I get the 50's classic precision.

My other option is the Mike Dirnt but I really want a maple neck and I can't be bothered to go into changing necks about.

Help me fellow basschatter. Your my only hope.

[quote name='Linus27' date='Feb 10 2009, 08:38 AM' post='405027']
I have major GAS for a Precision bass. I am pretty much down to two. The CIJ Fender 51 Re-issue Precision in Sunburst or the MIM Fender Precision 50's Classic Re-issue in Honey blonde.

I adore the look of the '51 precision but I already have 2 sunburst basses and a musicman in natural so I really don't want another sunburst. I also hate the butterscotch colour Fender do. I'm also a bit dubious about the sound out of the single pickup but until I hear it, I just won't know. As for the classic 50's precision. I adore the honey blonde colour and I have heard amazing things about this bass. My only concern is, its not the '51 which I adore the look off and worried that I will still be gassing for a 51' if I get the 50's classic precision.

My other option is the Mike Dirnt but I really want a maple neck and I can't be bothered to go into changing necks about.

Help me fellow basschatter. Your my only hope.

I had the Sting bass. Lovely to play sounded nice looked very very nice. Then I brought a 62 RI CIJ, sold the Sting bass.
I found the Sting bass very trebley (if thats a word) and the split pup 62 RI much warmer.
I do think the 50's p looks nicer though.

My old Sting bass is still for sale on here at the moment I think...

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='405399' date='Feb 10 2009, 02:52 PM']The question you should be asking is - which one do I buy first? And how long do I leave it before I buy the other one?[/quote]

HAHAHA well, there is a problem with that idea. You see, I have a Jazz, I have a fretless, I have a Musicman and I have a double bass. What I don't have is a Precision. Now my wife is adorable and very supportive, so much so that she bought me the fretless for Xmas as a nice surprise. However, just having a new born baby, she has said that we need to be careful with money this year. I kind of said to her that the only bass left I want for my collection is a precision. I don't want any more after that. So she has agread that its ok to get the precision as long as it is the last one. I mean, I am running out of room as it is anyway ;) Of course, she said I can have as many basses as I like but for each extra one would result in another baby per bass. Now some would say, thats perfect a new bass and sex but to be honest, the baby bit is putting me off. I have two kids as it is.

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='405421' date='Feb 10 2009, 03:11 PM']I'd buy whichever one feels the most playable. There's some really good replacement P-bass pickups out there - not least the Kent-Armstrong Hot Vintage pickup which sounds absolutely amazing.[/quote]

Yes, I need to basically go and try them. At the moment I am leaning towards the 50's Classic Precision but then in the flesh, I might hate the Honey Blonde. I have emailed Fender asking if they sell the 57 vintage pickups from the American 57 re-issue but so far neither the US or UK have got back to me.

[quote name='Linus27' post='405413' date='Feb 10 2009, 03:02 PM']HAHAHA well, there is a problem with that idea. So she has agread that its ok to get the precision as long as it is the last one. I mean, I am running out of room as it is anyway ;)[/quote]

Sorry - now I understand. Good excuse to get out there and have some trial runs. Enjoy :P

buddy, i hadta look up GAS in the acronyms before i understood what the hell you was on about. i thought it was some sort of drugs related term that had yet to filter its way down to us fen weasels ;)

i have the answer to your problems. but you wont like it..
dont buy either ..for now, hang on to your hard earned, roll the volume off the back pick up on your jazz when you want a precisiony sound. and wait. either 1) summat nice, exactly what you want and possibly vintage will come up on here at the right price eventually or 2) your gas will pass.
of course you will completely ignore this advice, the same as i would have at your age :P

but you know it makes sense rodders.... :)

[quote name='ogri' post='405473' date='Feb 10 2009, 04:25 PM']buddy, i hadta look up GAS in the acronyms before i understood what the hell you was on about. i thought it was some sort of drugs related term that had yet to filter its way down to us fen weasels ;)

i have the answer to your problems. but you wont like it..
dont buy either ..for now, hang on to your hard earned, roll the volume off the back pick up on your jazz when you want a precisiony sound. and wait. either 1) summat nice, exactly what you want and possibly vintage will come up on here at the right price eventually or 2) your gas will pass.
of course you will completely ignore this advice, the same as i would have at your age :P

but you know it makes sense rodders.... :)[/quote]

HAHAHA sorry about the lingo. Unfortunately, the GAS is strong in me and I do not think I will be able to hold back. Also, Fender have just got back to me with regards to the pirices of the US 57 Vintage pickups and the US 75 vintage pickups for my Jazz and the prices are excellent.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='405524' date='Feb 10 2009, 05:14 PM']I really wouldn't recommend doing that simultaneously. You won't get a proper idea of the tone, playability, etc.

Priorities, please.[/quote]

HEHEHE I'll stick with just the bass for now. Like you say, priorities ;)