Why become a member? ×

Warwick - The strip begins!

warwickhunt

[quote name='funkyhobbit' post='98455' date='Dec 3 2007, 09:42 PM']Hows the new band going?[/quote]

Thanks for asking.

You know how it is, being in a band with the same 3 other guys for 15 years! It's like being in any marriage/partnership/relationship for that long then having to learn how to date all over again.

The music and playing is a doddle (especially as I'm still with the drummer) but we are having to get used to each others foibles. Guitarist is very reserved (there's a bonus) and the singer is a butterfly (hopefully that makes sense). It'll all settle down and be hunky dory; after all we've got another 14 years and 11 months before we split up!

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='107983' date='Dec 22 2007, 02:33 AM']Any pics of the finished spray job yet??[/quote]

I'm giving the paint a chance to harden off in a drying booth before reassembly, I'm thinking of calling around later today to get a snap but the light is a bit dull (to say the least).

I'm on the home stretch now!

I need to fit new knobs as I've swapped out the MEC pre for a Demeter. One thing is that the pot shafts on the Demeter are much narrower than the previous MEC and they are likely to wobble around in the hole (big hole, little shaft... some things never change), anyone come across any sleeve or fix for this problem?

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='110630' date='Dec 29 2007, 06:50 PM']I'm on the home stretch now!

I need to fit new knobs as I've swapped out the MEC pre for a Demeter. One thing is that the pot shafts on the Demeter are much narrower than the previous MEC and they are likely to wobble around in the hole (big hole, little shaft... some things never change), anyone come across any sleeve or fix for this problem?

[/quote]

Oh wow! That looks magic! Did you not consider an orange headstock? Either way, the pumpkin lives on! Thanks for the update I have been watching this thread in anticipation for ages!

Cheers!

I didn't really give the headstock a thought, though you are right it would have looked great in orange! I just have to order new hardware (essentially the knobs but I may go for a new bridge) as the old stuff looked tatty.

I realise the bass has a past and one or two people on another forum have been disappointed that it has lost the original finish but the bass now feels truly like it is mine :) Anyway if the original owner wants it back he may well approve of the pumpkin orange finish and the pearlescent paint would look great under stadium lights!

[quote name='Brave Sir Robin' post='111331' date='Dec 31 2007, 09:55 AM']great job! That would have looked great with a pumpkin graphic of some kind on the body. Something like that :

(that's my company's logo)

As for your shaft problems, use rubber :)[/quote]

So you mean a bit like it originally looked...

Before

After

I've solved the wobble with a section of plastic tubing slipped over the shaft (...waits for the appropriate fnarr response, where is Mrs Tinman anyway?). I made the sleeve a bit longer than needed then when I tightened the nut it sqwuzzed it down and out, jobs a good un. I think I'll go for a decent rubber grommet when I can find one.

My oh my what a difference the 18v powered Demeter makes to the sound :huh: I need to get it up to gig volume tonight (just been trying it in the house through a Tech 21 guitar combo) but in comparison to anything else I possess it sounds [size=4]HUGE[/size]!

Edited by warwickhunt

I like it its looking cool. i loved this bass when i saw it cause t has such a cool story. but you can think of it as evolution rather than a complete change. you have stayed true to the basses origin but updated it into 2007.

a very good turn out well done. keep us posted on how that preamp works.

[quote name='metaltime' post='111362' date='Dec 31 2007, 10:55 AM']I like it its looking cool. i loved this bass when i saw it cause t has such a cool story. but you can think of it as evolution rather than a complete change. you have stayed true to the basses origin but updated it into 2007.

a very good turn out well done. keep us posted on how that preamp works.[/quote]

Cheers, thanks for the kind words.

I've literally just put my hands on the manual for your Markbass amp, if you want it PM your address and I'll post it off.

[quote name='Bassmonster' post='111369' date='Dec 31 2007, 11:07 AM']nice job!, love how you have left the neck-thru construction showing, think it would look better with black hardware though[/quote]

I know what you mean... I can check it out with different knobs before I commit to ordering but the bridge is something that I'd have to buy blind. We'll see!

[quote name='urb' post='111809' date='Jan 1 2008, 02:59 PM']Wow - really great job - well done - I'm also impressed that you took your time over this - the results really show the time and effort you put in - congrats.

M[/quote]

Thanks for all the comments.

I'll pass on the remarks to the various people who helped me with this project (Dave at the Haltwhistle Custom Shop and Joe & Dave at the Austin Guitar Shop).

Now to go for black or gold bridge assembly and knobs :)