Mister RLP

Odd E string on my D'Addario ETB92 Tapewound 50-105 Bass Guitar Strings

Sorry - realised that this is in the wrong section and should be in Accessories and Misc.

After trying a range of bass strings I have settled on D'Addario ETB92 tapewounds as my preferred choice on both my Jazz and Precision basses. I love 'em. They can can be mellow, but they also have some bite. They are easy on the fingers and on the frets (and fretboard if fretless). And they last a long, long time. So far, so good. 

This weekend I put some new tapewounds on my Precision. The A, D and G strings were as I expected - smooth and just like the ones on my Jazz. However, the E string was different - it was rougher (I can feel the grooves) with some of the metal shining through. This is unlike the E string on my Jazz. What can I do? Will D'Addario's UK customer service be able to help? 

IMG_0828.JPG

IMG_0829.JPG

Edited by Mister RLP

Update: An E string arrived today! D'Addario customer service sent a new one - from New York! I thought it would come from UK customer services. Very impressed. The string matches the other ones in looks and touch. Very happy. 

IMG_1063.JPG

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mister RLP said:

Update: An E string arrived today! D'Addario customer service sent a new one - from New York! I thought it would come from UK customer services. Very impressed. The string matches the other ones in looks and touch. Very happy. 

IMG_1063.JPG

That’s great service, glad you got it sorted 👍

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Hellzero
      MUSIC MAN (ERNIE BALL) StingRay 5 fretted with a rare one piece light ash body and the "shell" pickguard.

For sale only as I'm thinning down the herd (again).

Asking price including shipping fully insured with tracking number to your place in these European countries (ask for other countries) : Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France (excluding French overseas departments and territories), Germany, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Monaco, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and United Kingdom : £1175 GBP !!!

In fully working condition and in excellent overall condition.

Here are the specifications :
      Body : one piece light ash body
      Neck : 6 screws bolt-on maple
      Fingerboard : rosewood
      Frets : 22 (no wear)
      Headstock : typical Music Man 4 + 1 shape
      Pickup : Music Man AlNiCo
      Preamp : Music Man 3 bands with 3 positions switch
      Controls : volume, treble, mid, bass, 3 positions switch (series/series filtered/parallel)
      Tuners : Music Man
      Bridges : Music Man
      Strings spacing at bridge : 17.5 mm
      Nut : bone
      Strings spacing at nut : 9.5 mm
      Knobs : original black metal
      Scale : 34 inches
      Hardware colour : chrome
      Truss rod : 1 (fully working)
      Finish : natural gloss slightly yellowed with original shell pickguard
      Land of craftsmanship : USA
      Serial number : E29111
      Year : 15th of March 2002
      Weight : 4.3 kilos
      Action : from 1.5 mm under the G string to 2 mm under the B string at 12th fret (can go lower, but was perfect for me)

Will come with the original Music Man StingRay hard case (which was still a paid option in 2002).

Non-smoking environment as usual.

I'm only selling this bass because I'm thinning down the herd as I've just acquired a Status S2 Classic 5 headed fretless, which suits my taste better than any fretted bass.

Here is the link to the StingRay 5 page : https://www.music-man.co.uk/instruments/basses/stingray-5

The bass has been fully set up professionally by Christophe LEDUC. It has a new battery and is fitted with a brand new set of D'Addario EXL170-5 nickel round wound strings (45 - 65 - 80 - 100 - 130), which fit the bass to perfection.
        What you see is what you get !

Look at the pictures taken under different angles to see the real condition : almost in new condition with the very few scratches, the most "important" ones being on the headstock (bloody low ceilings).

Don't hesitate to ask for more.
    • By tvickey
      I just put some D'Addario nylon tapewound strings on my Warwick Streamer.  I'd never tried any strings like these before and I normally play with roundwounds. 
      These are silky smooth to the touch... like playing with a silk glove on the hand.  Very warm and thumpy.  I tend to be a fast and heavy pick player, and was worried that I would simply tear them apart when I play, but they seem to be really robust. 
      However, the tapewounds are a lot more quiet than the roundwounds that I just took off... but I have a GK Legacy with 800 Watts and there is plenty of headroom... so I just turn up the volume.  It's a bit of an experiment, but I have to say that I'm quite pleased with these strings at the moment and they gave me a very good first impression.

• By sbrag
      Set of d'addario elx160m nickel wound, medium guage (50, 70, 85, 105), medium scale strings for sale.
      I bought these by mistake, propper school boy error. Put them on my 34" scale yamaha bb and wondered why I was getting fret buzz then realised they were medium scale so took them off agin. Essentially unused but Cut for a 34 inch bass so will fit a 30 or 32 inch bass comfortably.
      £10

• By goffman
      For sale is my Squier Classic Vibe 50s style tele bass in Butterscotch/blonde finish, fitted with D'addario Nylon Tapewound strings. This model in this finish is now discontinued.
      Anyone who has played a Classic Vibe series bass will know that their quality, sound and playability far surpasses the price tag. The bass plays very smoothly, great chunky neck, action set fairly low and the pickup sounds lovely, warm and thumpy paired with the Tapewound strings.  Electronics in good working order as is the truss rod and all other hardware. Bass is all original and pretty much 'as new' aside from a bit of discolouration of some of the hardware (as can be seen on the neck plate, machine-heads in the photos) none of which affects the playability or general workings of the bass.
      Bought a few years ago as a practice bass and has only really been used at home and in two rehearsals in total. Selling to free up some space in my little flat.
      This bass is really well made, plays and records as a fender/squier should.
      Cash on collection from SE4 (London) preferred as I've no box to ship the bass. 
      Cheers!