Why become a member? ×

Mexico Fenders, what are the gripes???

sykilz

Hi guys, I am wanting to maybe buy a passive bass, I have 2 active Washburns at the moment, and they both sound marvellous, but in a band situation I think I would like that passive rumble, and was wondering what the gripes are with a Mexicanno vs. an American Fender? Obviously there`s a price difference, but would you really notice the sound quality difference in a loud rock band? I tried a Yamaha BB 414 last weekend and liked it, reading thru the forums it seems maybe build quality would be better on a Yamaha vs. a Mex. Fender Precision. Also of course I can get a new BB414 for the price of a used Fender !!!! Forgot to say, we`re only a " hobby " band who gig once a month or so, not proffessional or anything,so I`m not looking at silly price ranges,here`s a link to the bands myspace if anyone fancies a listen...www.myspace.com/darkstarrockuk Thanks for any info in advance!!!!

I've had several MIAs (4), a couple of CIJs (3) and one Mexican P. In my experience, the quality of Fenders varies so much, you really have to try them - and with an open mind (forget the country of origin). Find a good MIA and they're truly superb BUT there are a lot of crap ones around too IME. It is perfectly possible to find a Mexican bass that pisses all over an American one too - the best P I ever had was Mexican so I never look down my nose at them.

The Japanese ones are the most consistent in quality / playability / sound [u]IME[/u] and if I was buying over the internet without trying, it would Jap every time.

Hope that helps.

Plenty of folk in these parts have a Mex F and are very happy - partic those who've stuck some wizard (or similar) pups in it.

The chrome plating can be a bit thin and the insert in the back of the neck can be a bit proud but if you find one without these issues that feels good to you - why not. Fenders are so easy to upgrade over time should you wish to.

Yam v Fender debate..... hmmmmm interesting...

I believe you'll find them very different.
Buying a Yam is buying what you know to be an efficient package that works as it is, but buying a Fender is more than that.

Its about finding a soul mate. You may have to try a few MIM F's to find one you like the feel of, and from that build a stablemate that ticks all your boxes and when its sat on a stand screams at you 'PICK ME UP AND PLAY ME!'....

Buying a Yam is a bit like buying a Jap car, it works (brilliantly) but has very little soul or character, you can jump into your neighbours (same) car and it will feel and drive the same.....

Buying a Fender (wherever it comes from) is like buying a 2 seater convertible (commonly and wrongly refered to as 'sports cars'), you can look at them all but, only one is really gonna get you hot under the collar. Even then you'll want to lavish attention on it and make it 'yours'....

Will anyone notice? your band may say "oooooh thats nice" once but that wil be it.

Will who you play to notice? Probably not, but I will tell you what they will notice.....

......The difference between your playing if you're playing something that just functions, and somthing that you love playing..... why?

Because you're playing will reflect it......

Just my ramblings FWIW

Ha HA, fantastic stuff guys, I certainly will try as many as possible, I know what you mean about a soul mate, my Washburn MB5 is just that, I`ve had it ( dare I say " her" ) for 16 years or so, and love it to bits, perfect sound for when I was in my more " metal " phase, but it just did everything right and left a smile on my face every rehearsal. The downside , however , is it weghs a ton and is just a bit neck heavy, so gives me a neck ache on those long rehearsals!!!! I got the Wasburn force 4 recently, and it`s very very good, but like I say, it doesn`t fit quite with the bands sound, more a sort of Thin Lizzy AC/DC pearl Jam kind of sound, hence the interest in a passive. Any more coments gratefully received, very interesting about the wide variations in quality though......

[quote name='Hamster' post='396806' date='Feb 1 2009, 01:56 PM']As said, it's imperative to pick up and play the bass. I'm sure that any of the pro bass builders on here will tell you it's easy to make a badly made expensive bass and also make a well made cheap bass .[/quote]

Spot On. I have a Mexican Jazz which is superb and wouldn't sell it no matter what. I have played some really sh*te US models. Got to play it........

I've said it before, I'll say it again. MIM Fenders are simply superb. They are behind USA Fenders by very little. Sometimes, the USA models are not as good. Some of them have features that may be absent in USA models. Example: you want a split-coil P with a maple neck? Mexican only, and until recently, only then on the Classic 50s P. Notice I said neck, not fretboard. The American Standards have separate fretboards. If you like fretted maple necks, you've no choice but to go MIM or CIJ. Or AVRI or Custom Shop...

My basses, all of which get gig time, are MIM, MIJ, and one Squier. All eminently gig-worthy. Some hardware might do with upgrading; my split-coil has a '94 USA pickup in it, but, TBH, it didn't sound any better than the stock MIM pickup.

These days, there are very, very few truly duff Fenders. They will almost always set up superbly, even if stores don't show them at their best. Mine just get better and better. The black splitty has done around 300 gigs, starting to show the first signs of PROPER relicing, ie well used and well cared for.

As you can tell, I'm a bit of a fan!

most fenders come under the scruting of the upgrading market

yam's dont

so you may want to replace that bridge, pups, and or electrics

the fender jazz is the most versatile being able to take a retro package for onboard eq

as for price...could be a two way street and hold price for resale

this question or similar is asked so many times, and the answer will always be the same. You need to try it before you buy one, as with any fender bass. I find fenders vary too much to say one particular model is 'better' than another. Im sure several owners of mims have tried US basses and preffered their own, and visa versa, just as im sure people who own cij/mif basses think theirs blows all others out the water.

I think im right in saying that all fenders really benefit from a good setup? Perhaps when properly set up US basses are the better bass and worth the extra money, however if that is the case i am yet to play a 'properly set up' us fender ;)

Edited by Kev

My MIM P was much better made as a guitar (ie, neck joint, string alignement, etc) than either of the MIA Ps I'd had previously (both 70s), but the MIAs had better hardware.

The worst Fender I've ever had had was an early 90s MIA Jazz. Possibly the worst bass I've ever owned. More alignement problems and the bridge literally fell apart over two years. On the other hand a CIJ 51 P I tried last year was one of the best basses I've ever played.

As above really, if you want a Fender, go to a Fender dealer and try all you can in your price range. Try enough and you will find dogs, gems and everything in between.