Why become a member? ×

Blues ain't that easy..

niceguyhomer

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='395560' date='Jan 30 2009, 05:05 PM']I reproduce the following from Barry Chinstroker's seminal publication "Guide to British Blues Bass Playing" (Hi! Tone Publishing, 1995):

[i]"....New-boy bluesers soon discover that a 'bells and whistles' 5-string bass is a major solecism (or 'faux-pas' as our Jazzbo friends might say).

In 1978, well-known Chicago bassist Eddie 'Po'Boy' Sandwich turned up for a gig toting one such instrument. Bandleader, Howling Lemon Balsam shot him dead on the spot and the audience ripped his bleeding corpse to shreds before dining on his vital organs. It should be noted that British 'blues buffs' show far less restraint.

....The ideal bass tone should resemble the sound of a large, empty wooden box being struck by a good-sized possum. "[/i][/quote]

;) :P :) :huh: :angry: :P :o

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='396752' date='Feb 1 2009, 01:05 PM']I've got a suitable box but Sainsburys are out of possum - any ideas? ;)[/quote]
Try a grey squirrel. Free and plentiful.
Best suited to American blues.

For a "British" sound, try a red squirrel. Again free but not so plentiful (although you might get lucky near Formby Point)

[quote]I've got a suitable box but Sainsburys are out of possum - any ideas?[/quote]

Adult badger - just the right size, weight. Available freshly gassed from your local DEFRA cull.

[quote]I've heard all the red squirrels are either dead or dying at Formby Point[/quote]

I blame that George Formby. B*st*rd.

[quote name='mrcrow' post='397005' date='Feb 1 2009, 05:00 PM']scale study...timing...and thought processes built on listening recall of blues recordings

the mood needs to be understood[/quote]

That sounds worryingly like jazz. ;)

The "workingman's" alternative is:

5 notes, 4 keys, 3 positions, 2 speeds and 1 finger

Just re-read an interview with Gary Moore where there was a side bar entitled "Less is Moore" geddit? where Gaz talked about jamming with Freddie King and Freddie telling him to play half as much.

He also says he played way too much and too rocky on "Still got the blues" but that it helped as a crossover album and drew in people who would never approach the blues otherwise.

So that agrees with what was said earlier.

Also he was saying Peter Green was great at the less is more stuff, playing just enough notes.

So the OP could check out what Peter Green's bass player plays, for inspiration .....

[quote name='OldGit' post='401646' date='Feb 5 2009, 11:37 PM']....So the OP could check out what Peter Green's bass player plays, for inspiration .....[/quote]
John McVie. Live, he was a fantastic player, but like most of the blues guys playing in the 60's, he didn't really get a good sound on record. Still check him out and the great way he locked with Mick Fleetwood.

[quote name='chris_b' post='401669' date='Feb 6 2009, 12:05 AM']John McVie. Live, he was a fantastic player, but like most of the blues guys playing in the 60's, he didn't really get a good sound on record. Still check him out and the great way he locked with Mick Fleetwood.[/quote]

Yeah .. Gary Moore (and me) was really talking about Greenie playing now though

[quote name='OldGit' post='401821' date='Feb 6 2009, 10:10 AM']Yeah .. Gary Moore (and me) was really talking about Greenie playing now though[/quote]
Ah, the Nigel Watson band featuring (occasionally) Peter Green!! The bass player is Pete Stroud. Since the demise of the Splinter Group he’s playing local gigs in West London with Papa George, Bad Influence, Chuck Farley and others. He’s very good but I would prefer to listen to John McVie any day.

[quote name='chris_b' post='401917' date='Feb 6 2009, 12:10 PM']Ah, the Nigel Watson band featuring (occasionally) Peter Green!! The bass player is Pete Stroud.[/quote]

After PG left the Splinter Group the band was reformed with Nigel Bagg on guitar and a different rhythm section featuring a fellow BCer (who recently left the band to move abroad). They are called The Firehouse Blues Band.

[quote name='chris_b' post='401917' date='Feb 6 2009, 12:10 PM']Ah, the Nigel Watson band featuring (occasionally) Peter Green!! The bass player is Pete Stroud. Since the demise of the Splinter Group he’s playing local gigs in West London with Papa George, Bad Influence, Chuck Farley and others. He’s very good but I would prefer to listen to John McVie any day.[/quote]

I've always liked pete Stroud's playing since he was with Roger Chapman and the Shortlist about 20 years ago, but having seen him playing with Buddy Whittington a few months ago he has become the Bassplayer I woiuld most like to be able to play like.