Why become a member? ×

The Reggae Thread

Reggaebass

6 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I'd forgotten all about him! Just added a stack to our shop playlist...

That’s great Leonard, his son Addis Pablo has followed in his father’s footsteps, definitely worth a listen 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

his son Addis Pablo

Excellent, just stuck that album on too!

1585 songs so far, from Bach to Scientist, Fatback to King Tubby, Parliament to Jimmy Smith, Heptones to Herbie Hancock, Scientist to Schubert but probably 60% reggae.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I saw the Orb play live last night, one of the highlights was 'Towers of Dub' (from the excellent UFORB album)

The Bassline that kicks in at about 3m what really makes it.  It's the same bassline as the Revolutionaries 'El Bamba'

......and that is a reworking of Jackie Mittoo & The Skatalites 'El Bang Bang' (but that doesn't have the same bassline)

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 03/05/2024 at 10:02, SumOne said:

I saw the Orb play live last night, one of the highlights was 'Towers of Dub' (from the excellent UFORB album)

The Bassline that kicks in at about 3m what really makes it.  It's the same bassline as the Revolutionaries 'El Bamba'

......and that is a reworking of Jackie Mittoo & The Skatalites 'El Bang Bang' (but that doesn't have the same bassline)

That intro to the Towers of Dub. "Babylon an' 'ting".....I don't know if that is some sketch I should know or they did it, but man that whole thing had me rolling :D

Edited by Tandro
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, taunton-hobbit said:

😎

Byron Lee. Iconic for me in particular as I am only familiar with his stuff on the Soca scene. I only knew him as 'Byron Lee and the Dragonaires'. My dad had a record player, but only like 3 records :D I just remember two. One was a Salsoul Christmas record, and the other a Byron Lee (my initial interest had nothing to do with the album art as a young boy of course 😜 ). And some of those Soca tunes are ingrained in us, play that in any Fete and the crowd will just feel it! 

• Thanks 1

On 04/05/2024 at 22:27, Tandro said:

Byron Lee. Iconic for me in particular as I am only familiar with his stuff on the Soca scene. I only knew him as 'Byron Lee and the Dragonaires'. My dad had a record player, but only like 3 records :D I just remember two. One was a Salsoul Christmas record, and the other a Byron Lee (my initial interest had nothing to do with the album art as a young boy of course 😜 ). And some of those Soca tunes are ingrained in us, play that in any Fete and the crowd will just feel it! 

It's sampled from a Victor Lewis Smith prank call.

• Like 1