Why become a member? ×

The Reggae Thread

Reggaebass

5 minutes ago, SumOne said:

Treble down, Bass up, that's the way we like to pluck!

Yeah that’s pretty much what I do, with a bit of mid for clarity 

6 minutes ago, SumOne said:

I'm getting quite into using a foam mute for the early Ska sound.  

I like the foam mute sometimes, on one of my precision’s I’ve got the bassmute, which you can switch on and off, but imo they are expensive 🙂

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Don’t think we’ve had this one, nice Bassline, definitely some muting going on, unless it’s an upright , what do you think 

Sounds too precise for an upright and the attack doesn't sound DBish, so I call mute (if that is a DB, that's some of the best intonation ever). Ever since doing a recording with a mute, I've been really enjoying the sound and feel, especially on a my new short scale. I'd like a BassMute, but as you have said, they are a tad spiteful in terms of price and only available on import (?). The Grossman looks like the best option as the Nordymute don't do the string spacing I need in a 4.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Sounds too precise for an upright and the attack doesn't sound DBish, so I call mute

Thanks ez, listening back I think you’re right , If I hear of a bassmute going, I’ll let you know , I’ve seen this one but I don’t know how much they cost 

BCD83975-04D7-42DF-B263-FBFC4C121D98.jpeg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Thanks ez, listening back I think you’re right , If I hear of a bassmute going, I’ll let you know , I’ve seen this one but I don’t know how much they cost 

BCD83975-04D7-42DF-B263-FBFC4C121D98.jpeg

Cheers, my man! That one looks similar to The Fump, looks a bit of a faff but better than some random foam stuffed under the strings, looking like a burst mattress.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Cheers, my man! That one looks similar to The Fump, looks a bit of a faff but better than some random foam stuffed under the strings, looking like a burst mattress.

I recently got this one to try, which is quick and easy but it does mute quite a lot, which is good if your looking for that sound in particular, but it’s a bit much for me in normal use 🙂

C9D7A3E1-6206-4249-89B9-7E188C55AA94.jpeg

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I recently got this one to try, which is quick and easy but it does mute quite a lot, which is good if your looking for that sound in particular, but it’s a bit much for me in normal use 🙂

Ah ha! An actual Fump. Interesting to know you found it too much, that saves me a few bob experimenting; ta!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

This lot are a bit commercial for your average dubster 😂 I remember seeing them at Hammy odeon supporting AWB. But this bass line was great to use for teaching a nice reggae line.

Great one mr slapper, I saw them back in the day and I remember them really driving this one 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Really like the vocals on this, but I can’t make up my mind on the song , I think it needs dubbing up😁

Actually , been listening to this again, it reaaly grows on you !  This is a lovely song ( course a proper dub would be great too ! )

• Like 1