Why become a member? ×

My latest bass...!

overwater#1

[quote name='overwater#1' post='392332' date='Jan 27 2009, 12:32 AM']The bass arrived lunch time today anyway! I'm absolutely made up with it, as to me as an Overwater enthusiast you could say, it is extremely special in my eyes, and I feel extremely lucky to own her! It belonged to fellow forum member 'Woodster', and Chris was kind enough to sell me the bass, which I am massively greatful for, as I know it was a special bass for him too! Chris W is an absolute true friend, and it has been the best experience being able to purchase one of his basses also!!

I will get some pictures done soonish if anyone interested in seeing some here? Not sure if people still are now...?? Shes a Progress Elite model, not sure of exact age, but is the very first 7 string Overwater made, Sycamore body (some nice figure) with stunning flamed Ash front and back facings, 3 piece maple through neck, gold Schaller hardware and Overwater bridge. Pics can't do the bass justice at all, as with any bass, seeing a bass in the flesh, the figure and true beauty of the timbers and the construction just jump out, and look just awesome! I'm going to contact Chris May for more details on the bass, but she plays like a dream! Absolutely phenomenal! I am going to trip up to Carlisle sometime and probably have the action adjusted on my Progress 6 to match the 7, as this one is fantastic! Chris said 'touch sensitive' and I feel that definitely sums up the playability and action, its unbelievable! The sound is definately a nice Progress bass signature sound, although a bit more hi-fi perhaps than my 6.. still lovely, warm and fat tone, and a lower register to die for! Lovely even tone across the neck, trying to think of more things to say to sum up how awesome it is!

Anyway, sorry if this has been a bit boring, but this thread is merely me expressing my passion for a phenomenal bass, that in my books is extremely special and means a huge amount to me!

Here's some of the pics that Chris W sent me anyway, which he did a great job of... and i'l try to get some myself, although I need to get a new 'bass family' pic...

Thankyou very much for showing interest anyway! ;)

Best wishes, Matt

[/quote]

Nice to see another 7 string bass on Basschat :P

The guys at Overwater make great instruments and it sounds like you've found a real peach.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='395044' date='Jan 29 2009, 11:13 PM']What with this and the ACG 9 on the other thread, I'm feeling rather inadequately strung this evening, LOL!

Rich.[/quote]

"Inadequately strung" sir. I think not. Your stringing looks just fine ;) :P

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='395876' date='Jan 31 2009, 12:28 AM']Don't lose track of playing a 4 though dude![/quote]

Amen to that :)

Edited by 7string

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='395876' date='Jan 31 2009, 12:28 AM']Jeez. Loosen up! Take a joke man.

Anyway...

Looks good. Worth the wait I think...! Don't lose track of playing a 4 though dude![/quote]

:angry: I have a strange sense of humour lol!! Sorry man... Obviously didn't see the funny side at the time :huh:

Thanks for the comments :P !! Whats this, 4, you speak of?!? ;) 4?

:P :o I've just sold my own 4 today(westfield), although still have the Wal in my posession, which is a cracking bass. That does feel like a toy now! I can still play four easily and often use colleges precision bass, or the wal, no problem! I just love the range of the ERB's obviously.... I must say, my six feels considerably smaller too! It does look smaller, obviously, but it feels much larger than expected! The neck on the 7 is very flat, whereas the neck on my 6 is quite rounded and fat, which feels thinner in hand. Strange... Although it definitely doesn't detract from playing either, I can quite easily play both (not at the same time...yet).

Thanks anyway!! :)

Very best,

Matt

Edited by overwater#1

Hi Gareth! Cheers for the reply! I thought it'd be of that age, and have emailed Chris M to find out more details and history. Inc. why he built it, with it being his first 7 string.

Heres a quick family shot anyway ;)

Thanks!! Very best wishes,

Matt :P

Edited by overwater#1

[quote name='Rayman' post='401410' date='Feb 5 2009, 07:41 PM']Blimey.......that's very nice indeed. What scale length is that?[/quote]
Thanks very much for the nice comments!! ;) :P
Both Overwaters are 35", and the B is phenomenal, but still there is a nice even tone and tension across all strings.

[quote name='overwater#1' post='401530' date='Feb 5 2009, 09:36 PM']Thanks very much for the nice comments!! ;) :P
Both Overwaters are 35", and the B is phenomenal, but still there is a nice even tone and tension across all strings.[/quote]

I just wondered how I was going to get on with the imminent arrival of my Progress 36". Very excited, but those strings are going to be as tight as a farmers wallet.

[quote name='Rayman' post='401535' date='Feb 5 2009, 09:39 PM']I just wondered how I was going to get on with the imminent arrival of my Progress 36". Very excited, but those strings are going to be as tight as a farmers wallet.[/quote]
Ahh that should be phenomenal!! My friend who put me in touch with Chris May a few years ago has a Progress 6 with 36" scale, and its awesome! Very tight and punchy, awesome low end!!! That should be fantastic, I just felt more comfortable with 35" IMO.. get pictures up soon as!!!

Sunlight, Lancashire.. Where? ;) Those pictures were taken my my friend Chris before he sent the bass to me, in Southampton.. otherwise the bass would be cold and wet by now!!
Thanks for the comments! I've been playing it non-stop since its arrival, and it is actually the nicest bass i've ever played. I'm going to get the action on my 6 adjusted to match that of the 7, as the 7 really plays phenomenally, and with great ease too!!

Edited by overwater#1

[quote name='overwater#1' post='404686' date='Feb 9 2009, 07:36 PM']Now that is very very nice indeed! Beautiful top, stunnning bass my friend!! ;)[/quote]

Cherry wood I believe.

I was expecting the strings to be on the taught side, but they really aren't, it's just fantastic to play, and the [i]sound[/i] is out of this world.

I've spent the afternoon fitting new strings, lem oiling the fretboard, and tweaking the action a bit, and it's just brilliant, I'm over the moon with it.

Edited by Rayman

[quote name='Huggy and the Bears' post='392528' date='Jan 27 2009, 11:02 AM']Hey there, A big up for Poulton! How many other bass players live here???[/quote]

I live just down the road in Cleveleys....nice bass Matt! We'll have to get together and check out each others basses some time as discussed. Maybe after I get the incoming Sei Flamboyant 5.. ;)

Unfortunately my Alembic arrived with its new owner on the continent today, so you won't get to play that (I think I've got something in my eye...*sniff*)

Ahh thats a shame, I'd love to have seen the Alembic in the flesh!
I'm on half term holiday next week from college, so might be able to meet up sometime then Shaun? I should be around most of the week. Taking the 7 up to Carlisle on Tues for a service. Not sure if it'l be your cup of tea compared to your 4 stringers though... I'm playing at the North Euston on 22nd with Sounds 18 if you're around too. Few other gigs, some not worth mentioning... Give me a call sometime! ;)
Thanks for the comms on the bass too!! :P