Why become a member? ×

Just bought a Gibson Nikki Sixx sig Thunderbird

spacebeer

I am now the owner of a very nice 2007 blue dawn Stingray H with maple fretboard and an USA Jackson JJ bas but somehow I always felt attracted to the thunderbird shape. About a month ago I first saw the new (2008) Nikki Sixx sig and absolutely fell in love with it, actually I didn;t think it overly expensive. Well, of course a Gibson thunderbird is expensive but not as expensive as I'd tought it would be. So last week I pullen the trigger, I love the fact it has a maple/walnut neckthru construction, ebony fretboard and flame maple body wings oh I love the colour black/thrash cherry red a lot too. Only downside sofar is the corny mirror scratchplate but I need to find a plain black one to replace it. Oh and the fact I have to wait for 3 months to receive it, seems like they still have to be made, here's some generic pics I found on the net:

anybody care to shaer some thunderbird experiences? sound? the balance issue.... I heard the newer USA models are balanced pretty well compared to the originals and hardly have any neck dive issues.

The new sixx bird certainly looks better than the old one, and it has a volume control(s) and/or tone! Shocker!

According to the specs (or at least, from memory as gibbo's site is down at the time of writing this), the nut width is the same as a jazz at 1.50". Which is good ;)

S'not helping my GAS for the T-Bird Pro either, evil man.

I played a brand new 'real' Gibson T-Bird the other week at Electro in Doncaster. Yes, okay, we all know they have the neck dive issue, but I can honestly tell you that it outplayed every other bass in the place. (And we're talking Warwicks, Sandbergs, etc, etc.) Awesome feel, sound, playability. If I'd have had a spare grand knocking about I'd have bought it there and then!

Rich.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='392191' date='Jan 26 2009, 10:53 PM']I played a brand new 'real' Gibson T-Bird the other week at Electro in Doncaster. Yes, okay, we all know they have the neck dive issue, but I can honestly tell you that it outplayed every other bass in the place. (And we're talking Warwicks, Sandbergs, etc, etc.) Awesome feel, sound, playability. If I'd have had a spare grand knocking about I'd have bought it there and then!

Rich.[/quote]

That's cool to hear as I never played a Gibson bass, I heard about the neck dive issue of course but I also read in some other forum that all Thunderbird have a repositioned strapbutton at the neck heel since 1988 which mostly fixes it. How do the TB plus humbuckers sound? I hope they match the growl of a music man stingray!

Edited by spacebeer

Oh that is nice. I've not a fan of that kind of shape but even I'm sitting here impressed.

One thing though - who buys a Nikki Sixx guitar and worries about corny? Its Nikki Sixx, of course it's corny. Leave the pickguard alone and embrace the rock and roll. ;)

[quote name='Eight' post='392398' date='Jan 27 2009, 09:52 AM']Oh that is nice. I've not a fan of that kind of shape but even I'm sitting here impressed.

One thing though - who buys a Nikki Sixx guitar and worries about corny? Its Nikki Sixx, of course it's corny. Leave the pickguard alone and embrace the rock and roll. ;)[/quote]

hahaha, definately not a Motley Crue fan, I just love this bass

This is giving me major GAS! I played a new Gibson USA Thunderbird the other day and it got my GAS going but after reading that this has maple/walnut neckthru construction, ebony fretboard and flame maple body wings... ;)

want. (Defo agree on the black scratch plate though!)

[quote name='spacebeer' post='392423' date='Jan 27 2009, 09:24 AM']hahaha, definately not a Motley Crue fan, I just love this bass[/quote]
I find it very hard to dislike Motley Crue - and god knows I try. They may be the biggest collection of tw@ts assembled in one band but the music is too damn catchy. ;)

I play my gibson t bird every week and love it, its a one trick pony and does what it does, plays rock, yes the neck dives terribly and is a pain but I am used to it now.
You cant get as much variation in sound as an active, I have a warwick $$ had a musicman, have a jaydee but I still grab for the t bird when its gig time.
the neck is surprisingly fast and slim more like a J neck than a P, I love mine to bits.

[quote name='grimbeaver' post='392660' date='Jan 27 2009, 01:48 PM']I play my gibson t bird every week and love it, its a one trick pony and does what it does, plays rock, yes the neck dives terribly and is a pain but I am used to it now.
You cant get as much variation in sound as an active, I have a warwick $$ had a musicman, have a jaydee but I still grab for the t bird when its gig time.
the neck is surprisingly fast and slim more like a J neck than a P, I love mine to bits.[/quote]

I don;t nee versatility, I have to have a bass that rocks and growls. No subtility in my rig hahaha, I blast a tech 21 VT character Bass series pedal on about the most agressive setting through my EBS Fafner head. I play in a one guitar thrash/crossover/harcore band so I also shift a bit to filling in the rhythm guitar spot without losing the low end.