Why become a member? ×

What's the difference between Fender MIJ and CIJ?

lapolpora

Time. "Made in" was the original marking, and was used until 97 when the "Crafted in" marking replaced it. Models from 97 and 98 may be marked with either - as instruments were being manufactured at a number of factories, under the control of FujiGen Gakki and Dynna Gakki. The "Crafted in" marking made its first appearance in 92 or 93 on instruments made by Dynna Gakki. After 97 "Crafted in" became the marking for Fender Japan instruments.

Edited by noelk27

[quote name='~tl' post='389062' date='Jan 22 2009, 10:04 PM']Google is your friend:

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220520"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220520[/url][/quote]

The contributions in that talkbass thread aren't really on the ball, as clearly they didn't 'run out of serial numbers'. The reason for the change to CIJ is supposed to be that Fuji Gen had it in the contract that only Fuji Gen instruments would carry the MIJ mark. I say 'supposed to be' because I've not actually seen the source of this and it may just be one of those internet things that get taken as fact.

[quote name='lapolpora' post='389045' date='Jan 22 2009, 09:48 PM']What's the difference between Fender MIJ and CIJ?

Is the CIJ reserved for reissues? Are CIJ instruments better built? Or is it just a marketing thing.

Thanks,

Derrick[/quote]
f*** all unless you look at basses rather than play them.

[quote name='Tee' post='389605' date='Jan 23 2009, 02:38 PM']Have they returned to MIJ? Because i have noticed 'new' Japanese basses with Made in Japan on them.[/quote]

Interesting. I wonder if that means Fuji Gen are manufacturing some of the Japanese basses again?

[quote name='Tee' post='389605' date='Jan 23 2009, 02:38 PM']Have they returned to MIJ? Because i have noticed 'new' Japanese basses with Made in Japan on them.[/quote]

Yeah, this appears to be the case.

I bought a MIJ P Bass from Guitar emporium last year (which was marked 'Made in Japan'), & when i asked, Malcolm (the owner/importer) did say that the wording had been changed from CIJ.

So that's that then.

Karl

[quote name='mrcrow' post='391193' date='Jan 25 2009, 08:30 PM']i think the country where its made is most important
and japan has been knocking out very good clones and factory endorsements for years[/quote]
That's the whole basis of Fender Japan. The operation's run by Kanda Shokai, owner of the Greco brand - no doubt you'll have heard of their "lawsuit" copies!

Fujigen Gakki was the original main source for MIJ Fenders, the same factory which built Greco, Ibanez, Antoria etc copies in the 70s and effectively kicked off the whole "lawsuit" thing. CIJ production these days is split between Dyna Gakki & Tokai - another builder very well-respected for their replica-standard copies.

The reappearance of the MIJ stamp might suggest that Fujigen is making Fenders again but I doubt there'll be any difference in quality one way or the other.

Jon.