Why become a member? ×

My Pedalboard Build Diary

Dubs

This week, I’ve been mostly building…a pedalboard! I thought I’d share my experience of this and bore you all with a very long thread that will be a hugely laborious read, but at least there are lots of pictures :P

A lack of money in a combination with vast amounts of free time (put two and two together…) meant that I decided to build my own custom solution to a pedalboard. We had lots of wood lying around, (albeit shyte wood, but nevertheless wood) I drew up some very basic designs based on what I had available and then jumped in at the deep end without any real knowledge of how to make stuff, let alone saw in a straight line.

I started by cutting out 2 long pieces of thin ply that I wanted to use as the platform/surface are of the board.

[attachment=18917:1.JPG] [attachment=18918:2.JPG]

I then guesstimated the incline angle and cut out 2 end pieces/feet/support thingymagiggy’s.

[attachment=18919:3.JPG] [attachment=18920:4.JPG] [attachment=18921:5.JPG]

I then cut out 2 stronger piece of pine to support the flimsy ply that I was using as the surface of the board, and then I glued them in between the 2 end pieces.

[attachment=18922:6.JPG] [attachment=18923:7.JPG]

Turns out that that wasn’t the best idea because the ply wood was sh*t and the glue that I was using for the supports wasn’t going to be strong enough so I sacked off that idea and went down a new path.
I cut out 3 pieces of the pine that I was using for the support but this time I decided that the best way to do it would be to use them as the main surface area of the pedalboard. I cut them long enough to be attached to the end pieces/feet from the top down and then drilled them in.

[attachment=18924:8.JPG] [attachment=18925:9.JPG] [attachment=18926:10.JPG]

I then filled in the gaps between the main planks with small chunks of pine so that the top of the surface area of the board would all be level.

[attachment=18927:11.JPG]

Then, guided by some random DIY cab building guides, I painted the board with some leftover black paint that just happened to be the perfect wood paint for the job.

[attachment=18928:12.JPG]

I then spent 2 days carpeting the bastard (sorry for the lack of pics on this bit but I was preoccupied with slicing my fingers off with a really f***ing sharp Stanley knife).

[attachment=18929:13.JPG] [attachment=18930:14.JPG]

And then it was done :) Behold…

[attachment=18931:15.JPG] [attachment=18932:16.JPG]
[attachment=18933:17.JPG] [attachment=18934:18.JPG]

I’ve got to admit that it’s a small miracle that it’s turned out this well, but there are a lot of things that I’ve learnt from this process that I’ll be able to improve on next time because there are a lot of things that I could have done a lot better, and there probably will be a next time when I can be arsed…
Here it is next to the Pod XT Live that I’m thinking of selling in favour of setting up the pedalboard properly with a decent compressor and tuner, and at least another synth type pedal:

[attachment=18935:19.jpg]

If nothing else, this was a fun project, but I think I’ve ended up with a great board that I’ll use as my main pedalboard. It’s solid as a rock and will support my full weight jumping up and down on it – not sure why I tried this out cos I would have been really f***ed off with myself if I’d put my size 10’s through it. I might put some handles on it, or I might leave it as it is, but I’d be interested to hear people’s suggestions for improvements.

BTW, the whole thing only cost £2.50 to do, and that was only postage for some carpet that was very kindly given to me by Alien - cheers mate ;)

Edited by benwhiteuk

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='385975' date='Jan 20 2009, 12:55 PM']I’d be interested to hear people’s suggestions for improvements.[/quote]

Presumably you've got a power supply brick somewhere out of shot - would it be possible to mount this to the underside of the board? It makes for one less thing to carry.

S.P.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='386014' date='Jan 20 2009, 01:16 PM']Haha that turned out pretty good looking! i didn't think ply would be very strong at all...
How have you attached your pedals to it? Velcro?[/quote]

Cheers mate. Yeah it's all Velcro - nice and simple and keeps the pedals attached really firmly.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='386027' date='Jan 20 2009, 01:21 PM']Presumably you've got a power supply brick somewhere out of shot - would it be possible to mount this to the underside of the board? It makes for one less thing to carry.

S.P.[/quote]

Yeah I was thinking about trying to implement that kind of idea, but I use one of these - [url="http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/9v-dc-regulated-power-supply-with-integrated-6-way-daisy-chain-2-p.asp"]http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/9v-dc-r...y-chain-2-p.asp[/url] - which is great and has loads of power (1.3 amps!) but it has to be plugged in directly to a socket. My solution to that is just to have the adapter placed on top of the pedalboard when I’m not using it and transporting it, then plug it into my extension socket that I’ll have near to the board when I’m using it, so realistically it’s not too much of a problem.

I’ve probably not thought through the different possibilities properly cos I just finished it this morning.

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='386037' date='Jan 20 2009, 01:27 PM']My solution to that is just to have the adapter placed on top of the pedalboard when I’m not using it and transporting it, then plug it into my extension socket that I’ll have near to the board when I’m using it, so realistically it’s not too much of a problem.[/quote]

But then you run the risk of the adapter sliding off. I think you should cut three suitably-positioned rectangular holes in the top-left corner of the board, and then you can plug the adapter into there for transit. Maybe have a couple of pegs to wind the cord round too.

Edit: though this does reduce the amount of space available for pedals. But you get the idea.

S.P.

Edited by Stylon Pilson

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='386060' date='Jan 20 2009, 01:44 PM']But then you run the risk of the adapter sliding off. I think you should cut three suitably-positioned rectangular holes in the top-left corner of the board, and then you can plug the adapter into there for transit. Maybe have a couple of pegs to wind the cord round too.

Edit: though this does reduce the amount of space available for pedals. But you get the idea.

S.P.[/quote]

That’s potentially a really good idea. I’ve got enough space on the back of the board for the holes for the power supply so it wouldn’t mean sacrificing any pedal space (not that I’ve even got enough to fill it at the moment ;) ). See here:

[attachment=18943:back.JPG]

Edited by benwhiteuk

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='386091' date='Jan 20 2009, 02:04 PM']That’s potentially a really good idea. I’ve got enough space on the back of the board for the holes for the power supply so it wouldn’t mean sacrificing any pedal space (not that I’ve even got enough to fill it at the moment ;) ). See here:[/quote]

You don't want it sticking out at the back. You want to keep the footprint rectangular for transit. I'd be looking into ways of using the space underneath the board.

S.P.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='387297' date='Jan 21 2009, 11:10 AM']You don't want it sticking out at the back. You want to keep the footprint rectangular for transit. I'd be looking into ways of using the space underneath the board.

S.P.[/quote]

That’s a good shout. I’ll think of something if it becomes an issue after using it for a month or so.

[quote name='TheBrokenDoor' post='387575' date='Jan 21 2009, 02:52 PM']Are you using a lid when transporting?

This looks a million times better than my last attempt (mdf and nails!!!)

Dan[/quote]

I was thinking about making some sort of lid for it with detachable hinges and butterfly locks, but I’m gonna see how it goes and see how hard it is to transport it as it is. I’ve still not committed to this as an all purpose alternative to my Pod XT Live though ;)

[quote name='kdphysio' post='388011' date='Jan 21 2009, 09:56 PM']Nice one!

I'll think i'll use this thread as a resource when i build one.....you obviously watched alot of Blue Peter as a kid! ;)

Karl[/quote]

:P this is one I made earlier…

(not really)

Cheers guys.

Yeah I've looked at a few gig bag type things but they're either a bit too small or massive. I’ll keep looking cos I think that’s probably the best/easiest solution – it would take a lot of hassle to build a lid for it that’s practical.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='kdphysio' post='388011' date='Jan 21 2009, 10:56 PM']Nice one!

I'll think i'll use this thread as a resource when i build one.....you obviously watched alot of Blue Peter as a kid! :)

Karl[/quote]

I used this as a resource too and am now the proud owner of a similar board. Mine has extra supports, a recessed bit for my power supply, and no carpet but otherwise pretty similar. I made it to fit in a messenger bag I had lying around. "Borrowed" wood, screws, glue etc from dad's garage, total cost = 4 quid for velcro tape. Will post pics when I stop being lazy. Cheers for the inspiration ben!

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='457385' date='Apr 8 2009, 01:59 PM']Yeah apparently so, but I can’t see how that’s a useable gigging setup.[/quote]

I bet it seemed like a great idea to begin with, but it is a little bit ridiculuos.

Nice board by the way. I've been meaning to raise mine up a bit to fit my power supply underneath. Going to give it some time this weekend.

Did you staple or glue the carpet to the wood?

[quote name='mrdirtyrob' post='457381' date='Apr 8 2009, 01:56 PM']I used this as a resource too and am now the proud owner of a similar board. Mine has extra supports, a recessed bit for my power supply, and no carpet but otherwise pretty similar. I made it to fit in a messenger bag I had lying around. "Borrowed" wood, screws, glue etc from dad's garage, total cost = 4 quid for velcro tape. Will post pics when I stop being lazy. Cheers for the inspiration ben![/quote]

Good stuff man, get a pic up :)