Why become a member? ×

Peavey bass amps

buff

Im using a 400 watt late 70's head at the moment, its as loud as hell. Most gigs, it doesnt need turning up past 3. I do use a sansamp with it, but sound wise it doesnt sound much different than the svt3 i had a while back. Maybe my ears have had it ;)

I've used other people's Peaveys and I think that they're excellent for tone. I'm currently hankering after one of these Max 700 (or Firebass) heads that people are selling on here, but I can't decide between one of them and a new Tour 700 Head, as there only seems to be about £100 difference in price.

[quote name='buff' post='386283' date='Jan 20 2009, 03:46 PM']Weird really in the states you get the impression peavey are the working bass players amp of choice. Must admit the late 80's early 90's torquise lettered front's look nasty :P[/quote]

I think being US manufactured for years helped them on the other side of the pond - there seems to be more pride in domestically made products over there. And before Far East manufacture became the norm they would have been more competitive than any overseas gear.
I've never owned a Peavey amp, though I had a MegaBox for a while. They're decent amps (even if they do weigh a ton ;) ) but have probably suffered image-wise due to not having a high end bass amp that has taken off in the way the 5150 guitar amp did.

[quote name='buff' post='386283' date='Jan 20 2009, 03:46 PM']Weird really in the states you get the impression peavey are the working bass players amp of choice. Must admit the late 80's early 90's torquise lettered front's look nasty ;)[/quote]

now i'm no fashionister but the peavey logo and colour choice as always upset me. shame they are fantastic value amps.

My B rig (the one I use for jam sessions and other precarious gigs) is a series one Peavey Combo 300 with the Black Widow 1x15 ... I got it last year for peanuts thanks to a bit of basschat help and local paper advert spotting...
It's about 30 years old, weighs a ton, looks like it lived in a damp cellar for 10 years ('cos it did) and sounds great.

I've had Peavey 1x15 combos of various sorts off and on almost as long as I have been playing.
Brilliant bang for your buck and more or less bulletproof. Certainly almost any amp repair bloke can nail them back together for pennies...

My bass playing brother in law plays his Ric 4001 through the series one 75 watt TNT 1x15 he got secondhand about 30 years ago. It still sounds fine...

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='386176' date='Jan 20 2009, 02:48 PM']I use a peavey.
admittedly, its an old yeboard combo, but its a great practice amp!
matt[/quote]

There's a broken Combo 300 KB for sale in Newport if you want spares/second speaker cab ..

[quote name='Galilee' post='386268' date='Jan 20 2009, 03:41 PM']I've used other people's Peaveys and I think that they're excellent for tone. I'm currently hankering after one of these Max 700 (or Firebass) heads that people are selling on here, but I can't decide between one of them and a new Tour 700 Head, as there only seems to be about £100 difference in price.[/quote]

If it helps I'll let my Firebass go for £225.

[quote name='johnnylager' post='386255' date='Jan 20 2009, 03:35 PM']I've said it before & I'll say it again - Mark IV head + Sunn 2x15 = tone heaven. Or is that volume heaven? Never used any effects then either.[/quote]
I still have the Mark IV head and I really love it.. Wouldn't sell it (not that it's worth much mind) as it's got such great features and I like the sound of it a lot..