Why become a member? ×

This is just wrong - right? - Heatwave

Hamster

[quote name='The Funk' post='384584' date='Jan 19 2009, 12:46 AM']That doesn't sound like Martha Reeves & The Vandellas - and I'm pretty sure the cover by The Who didn't go like that either (although I can't find a copy in my collection).[/quote]

Well I never ..
Nice heads up, TheFunk

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='384692' date='Jan 19 2009, 09:19 AM']Heatwave my arse - we do that in our set and it's nowt like that. I learned the bassline from Standing in the Shadows of Motown - Babbitt plays a bit of it solo as well as the performance.[/quote]

Babbit's bassline is particularly stunning when you compare it to the original record. I guess he had a long time to refine it.

The original was played on a double bass kirky, but that video is just awful. Clearly made by someone who doesn't have a clue. I have the Standing in the shadows of Motown book and its a really great book for learning lots of Jamerson's lines. A transcription of heatwave is in there so i would recommend that if you want a really accurate version.

The Jam also recorded a cracking version of Heatwave on their 1979 album Setting Sons.

Kev