Why become a member? ×

Status or Musicman

jezzaboy

Having owned an Status Series II (5 string) and an 'Ray5 and currently have a 'Ray4. I would say that the Status had much more punch than the 'Rays and you can get more tonal variation with the Status by virtue of great EQ and the mid switch, great for slap! Loved the necks on both. Status basses are usually more expensive both new and s/hand. I guess when it comes down to it I wish I hadn't sold the Status and don't miss the SR5 quite so much.

Does that help?...no, I thought not ;)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='385404' date='Jan 19 2009, 09:01 PM']They still are upper class basses :P Have a plunder through the options list & you're hitting £3k on some of them![/quote]

i think i have to agree with you on that...

the mm iirc doesnt have many options and would seem to be better value..ie under 3K

;)

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='386411' date='Jan 20 2009, 05:05 PM']+1 I still miss my trans teal 2EQ Stingray with the Status MM neck.

jezzaboy,I bought your Tribute L2K from you and then sold it onto another basschatter in Dundee for the same money. It was a great bass-with G&L a year ago it was ok bringing them in from the States but the exchange rate has put a stop to that. the cherryburst semi hollow Asat that tonyf has FS at the moment is a cracking bass. I owned and gigged it for a while and it had a monstrously big tone. I'd have it back in a heartbeat if I had the readies but I've still got a beauty of a USA SB-2. if you ever want a play on it let me know.[/quote]

Dub Man

Ah well, glad to hear that you got some pleasure from it and sent it on to a good home. Have bought a black m/n tribute from Hartnolls and it should be here on saturday.

Jez

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='388924' date='Jan 22 2009, 07:27 PM']Dub Man

Ah well, glad to hear that you got some pleasure from it and sent it on to a good home. Have bought a black m/n tribute from Hartnolls and it should be here on saturday.

Jez[/quote]

Jerry, yes m8 it was a great bass that tribute of yours - actually was making me feel bad about my USA G&Ls at the time. anyway it went to DLloyd on here and I'm pretty sure he still has it. heres a pic of it amongst friends when I was loving G&Ls maybe a bit too much (I only have the SB-2 on the right nowadays)

anyway congrats on the black/maple L2000. I take it you didnt see the blue MM Sterling on ebay at the moment? the seller is from your neck of the woods.

cheers

Keir

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='383938' date='Jan 18 2009, 01:10 PM']Musicmans are great secondhand buys at the mo. Try before you buy though - because they are heavy - esp Stingrays.[/quote]

+1 to all of that. I've just picked up a really nice Stingray for £600, which compares well to used prices a year or two ago. And this one is surprisingly light - nowhere near as heavy as my Warwicks.

I would also compare 2 band and 3 band EQ stingrays. The one I've just got is 2 band and to my ears sounds much more ''Stingray'' than the 3 band I owned previously.

[quote name='simon1964' post='389144' date='Jan 22 2009, 11:24 PM']+1 to all of that. I've just picked up a really nice Stingray for £600, which compares well to used prices a year or two ago. And this one is surprisingly light - nowhere near as heavy as my Warwicks.

I would also compare 2 band and 3 band EQ stingrays. The one I've just got is 2 band and to my ears sounds much more ''Stingray'' than the 3 band I owned previously.[/quote]
i would definatly try both a 3eq and a 2eq stingray. I dont think id be satisfied with a 2eq, i find myself using the mid eq knob more than the other 2! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

i do not have MusicMan or Status, but tried both some times, 5 strings versions!

Sorry my english
1-first big diference is the Looks, one look more classic(musicman) the other more modern(status,and the finished look more...,luxury?? (big diference)
2-second diference i notice was the weight and balance (yes the musicman with 5 strings neck is more heavy and unbalanced)
3-the status neck have less problem with strings , guess you will need less the need to loweer or up the strings (the status neck do not change so much with hot or cold)
4-about the sound , BOTH sound good (and you always have the EQ from the amplifier if you want more about sound )

now it depend of you ,if you go for the Looks, for the sound , more for the specifications...

Dificult hey ??? :-) (well ,i know what i buy if have the money)

Rogerio
www.makemusicnews.com

I'd definately advise you to consider other makes... most notably Sandberg.
I was an EBMM stalwart through and through. Even owning the Franken'Ray with a Status neck that Dr Nick now has.
However, when I tried a Sandberg it was game over. Huge tonal qualities with the PM configuration.
Speak to Darren at Bass Merchant and he'll sort you out with a demo / order.

Well - story rather than an opinion.

I was a dyed in the wool Fender head but several years ago found myself also in the possession of a Status graphite necked Energy and a 2 band EQ Stingray. Very fine basses they were too. I liked the 'precision put right'ness of the Ray and the modern playability of the Status.

Sometime later I decided to get Jon Shuker to build me a bass that would , in a sense , do the job of both. It's more of a posh, lightweight Ray than a Status but has the 'moderness' of tone. As a result I sold the others.

Not that long afterwards I bought another Status - I've never felt the need to buy another Ray.

Take from that what you will.

Opinion - if you want something a lot different to the Fender , buy a Status. If you want to feel you're safely at home - buy the Ray.

[quote name='mrcrow' post='410181' date='Feb 15 2009, 05:04 PM']we dont all use the same pre amps, amplifiers, speakers etc
or even play the same way
better or best takes a lot of quantification sonically

better criteria are build, finish and playability...but then we dont all have the same hands[/quote]

Absolutely. I played my Groove 5 through molan's (Barrie's) valve setup and it sounded absolutely horrendous! But when I got home I plugged it into the basscube (and later the MarkBass) & it sounded fantastic!

And yes, we all play differently. I do find more and more that my signature style of playing is audible through whatever I'm playing.

Rich.