Why become a member? ×

Gumtree G&l L2000 Manchester

[url="http://manchester.gumtree.com/manchester/80/33447880.html"]http://manchester.gumtree.com/manchester/80/33447880.html[/url]

He's also got a Aria ZZB with original hardcase

[url="http://manchester.gumtree.com/manchester/19/33447519.html"]http://manchester.gumtree.com/manchester/19/33447519.html[/url]

Good prices for both.

He's emailed me back saying that he doesn't have any pics because he's not any good with a computer (?). He's invited me round to check it out but as I'm in Aberdeen that's a bit impractical. Markytbass, your profile says your from Mars which is a bit of a jog too but if you are local to him and want to check out the G&L (I presume you'll get a similar email to mine) could you have a look at the ZZB for me..... or if any other BC'ers in the vicinity for that matter.

[quote name='solo4652' post='384738' date='Jan 19 2009, 10:14 AM']I live 6 miles from him. I've emailed him to say I'd like to come round for a look at the G&L, because I'm very interested in buying it. What happens if I want it? Don't want to jump a queue, if one is forming. What's the etiquette here?

Steve[/quote]

Fair dos to be honest. Trading at a distance you're always at the risk of someone local doing the deal. No-one here's made a strong declaration of intent regarding the G&L anyway. Go for it. Ultimately it's the seller's prerogative to sell to whoever.

[quote name='neepheid' post='384746' date='Jan 19 2009, 10:26 AM']Fair dos to be honest. Trading at a distance you're always at the risk of someone local doing the deal. No-one here's made a strong declaration of intent regarding the G&L anyway. Go for it. Ultimately it's the seller's prerogative to sell to whoever.[/quote]

OK then - just didn't want to tread on anybody's toes. I'm waiting for him to contact me about a viewing of the G&L. If I go and see it, can I help somebody with a try-out of the Aria?

[quote name='BassBunny' post='384922' date='Jan 19 2009, 01:20 PM']Let us know how you got on Steve.
Neck is certainly not Jazz Like but they are awesome Basses.
I wouldn't part with my GL2500[/quote]

Hello mate,

I knew the neck wouldn't be jazz-type, but went to see it anyway. Glad I did - it's dirty, with old strings, but has no major issues, with a dead straight neck. Yes, the neck's wide, but it's relatively thin and comfy enough. Lots of knobs and switches to try to understand. I thought it was a real bargain, so I bought it.

While I was there, I saw, played and took photos of the Aria. So, if out7shined could pm me with your email address, I'll be able to send some pictures.

Steve

[quote name='solo4652' post='385085' date='Jan 19 2009, 03:50 PM']Hello mate,

I knew the neck wouldn't be jazz-type, but went to see it anyway. Glad I did - it's dirty, with old strings, but has no major issues, with a dead straight neck. Yes, the neck's wide, but it's relatively thin and comfy enough. Lots of knobs and switches to try to understand. I thought it was a real bargain, so I bought it.

While I was there, I saw, played and took photos of the Aria. So, if out7shined could pm me with your email address, I'll be able to send some pictures.

Steve[/quote]
Good Move and welcome to the wonderful world of G&L.
I have a schematic of what the controls do if you want it or you should be able to get one from the G&L Web-Site.
What colour is it? Maple or Rosewood neck?

[quote name='solo4652' post='385085' date='Jan 19 2009, 03:50 PM']...While I was there, I saw, played and took photos of the Aria. So, if out7shined could pm me with your email address, I'll be able to send some pictures.[/quote]
Cheers Steve. Pm'ed.
You're a credit to the BC community. ;)

I'm with BassBunny I think we need some pics of your bargain G&L.

[quote name='BassBunny' post='385150' date='Jan 19 2009, 05:01 PM']Good Move and welcome to the wonderful world of G&L.
I have a schematic of what the controls do if you want it or you should be able to get one from the G&L Web-Site.
What colour is it? Maple or Rosewood neck?[/quote]

It's natural finish with what looks like rosewood neck. I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

Yes - please do send me a schematic of what all these knobs and switches do! The pots are a little scratchy, and I'm hoping they simply need a bit of a clean up. Would a quick squirt of WD40 help?

Steve

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='385159' date='Jan 19 2009, 05:16 PM']Cheers Steve. Pm'ed.
You're a credit to the BC community. ;)

I'm with BassBunny I think we need some pics of your bargain G&L.[/quote]

Here you go:

[attachment=18906:008.JPG]

[attachment=18907:009.JPG]

[attachment=18908:010.JPG]

[attachment=18909:011.JPG]

Only 2 minor issues so far:

Slightly scratchy pots - might be a bit dirty, since everything else was. Is there a simple way I can spray/clean them without unscrewing or undoing anything!?

The plastic nut/bead thingy on the end of one of the tuners fell off yesterday. I managed to save the plastic washer and the metal locking washer, but not the nut itself. So I'll have to raid the toolbox to see if I have anything that will fit over the turned end of the tuner.

Other than that, the bass is in excellent condition with no visible marks or dings at all. Got a bargain, I think.

Initial play last night nearly shook the windows loose. Brilliant, rich, complex tones available. It'll take me years to work out how to use all the settings.

Steve

[quote name='solo4652' post='385732' date='Jan 20 2009, 09:49 AM']Slightly scratchy pots - might be a bit dirty, since everything else was. Is there a simple way I can spray/clean them without unscrewing or undoing anything!?[/quote]

You need switch cleaner - Servisol Super 10 or some equivalent. Take off the back cover and look at the pots. There should be an opening in the pot casing, usually where the contacts are. Spray a little stuff in there then turn the pot back and forth through its entire range a few times.

Can't remember if the pots are sealed but even spending a couple of mins winding them to and fro could do the trick. If there is an opening neephoid is right, get some servisol. DON't use WD40. The great thing is it is actually a Passive set-up with the active pre-amp stuck after the Vol/Tone arrangement so if worst comes to worst the pots can easily be changed.
Not sure what you mean about the Tuner issue. I have a pretty compehensive "spares" box and may be able to help.
Here is the description of what the switches do.
[attachment=18914:ASATbass..._diagram.pdf]

It is actually pretty simple.
Volume, Treble (Boost Only), Bass (Boost Only), 3 Way Switch for pick-up selection. 2 Way Switch for Series/Humbucking mode on pick-ups. 3 Way Switch for Passive/Active/Active with Treble Boost.

[quote name='BassBunny' post='385820' date='Jan 20 2009, 11:12 AM']Can't remember if the pots are sealed but even spending a couple of mins winding them to and fro could do the trick. If there is an opening neephoid is right, get some servisol. DON't use WD40. The great thing is it is actually a Passive set-up with the active pre-amp stuck after the Vol/Tone arrangement so if worst comes to worst the pots can easily be changed.
Not sure what you mean about the Tuner issue. I have a pretty compehensive "spares" box and may be able to help.
Here is the description of what the switches do.
[attachment=18914:ASATbass..._diagram.pdf]

It is actually pretty simple.
Volume, Treble (Boost Only), Bass (Boost Only), 3 Way Switch for pick-up selection. 2 Way Switch for Series/Humbucking mode on pick-ups. 3 Way Switch for Passive/Active/Active with Treble Boost.[/quote]

Thanks for sending the switch information. Already, the switches are sounding less crackly from some use. Could I get the servisol from my local hardware shop?

I've tracked down a place in Cheadle that should be able to sort out a replacement tuner-nut.

Here are the pictures I took of the Aria ZZB:

[attachment=18949:001.JPG]

[attachment=18950:002.JPG]

[attachment=18951:003.JPG]

[attachment=18952:004.JPG]

[attachment=18953:005.JPG]

[attachment=18954:006.JPG]

The owner told me he bought the bass secondhand 10 years ago, so he doesn't know how old it is. The bass seemed to be in sound overall condition. Some buckle rash on the back of the body. Some dings and scrapes on the lower horn - see photo, but nothing serious - cosmetic, really, as far as I could see. The neck looked pretty straight and true to me. When plugged into the owner's amp, the volume and tone pots seemed to work OK. Bass could do with a wash and brush up, and certainly a new set of strings. Hard case looked perfectly serviceable, if a little travel-weary.

The owner's name is Brian Martin. He wasn't aware of Basschat.

So, over to you lot to contact Brian direct via the original Gumtree ad, if you're interested in this bass. I'm out of the loop now.

Steve