Why become a member? ×

SansAmp BDDI - New vs Old

Dubs

What’s the difference between the new and old versions of the BDDI? Today I’ve had the chance to A/B them and they’re definitely not the same – if both are set with the same control values they sound completely different. However, you can definitely make them sound very similar, so similar in fact that you probably won’t be able to tell which is which. I’m just interested if anyone knows why they’re different or how they’re different and why they modified the design?

For reference, here are some pictures:

[attachment=18722:DSC02039.JPG] [attachment=18723:DSC02040.JPG]

Old on the left– New on the right (for both pictures).

I was simply told 'The electronics have been improved' by one of the tech guys. There's certainly a difference in the switching/ bypass circuitry and the newer version has additional gain stages for the line level/ instrument level output. I've not had either open to take a look at, so unfortunately couldn't comment further.

[quote name='Merton' post='382125' date='Jan 16 2009, 10:50 AM']Glad they've got a proper battery compartment on the new one ;)[/quote]

Yeah it’s a good thing if I was ever going to run it with a battery, but I’m not, so basically I have to have battery cap/compartment lid (whatever you want to call it) off all the time after I apply some Velcro because the battery lid has a 1 or 2mm lip that would stop the Velcro attaching flat to a carpeted surface. Seeing as how many players apply Velcro to the bottom of their pedals for them to be used with a carpeted pedalboard, I think the battery compartment could have been designed better.

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='382176' date='Jan 16 2009, 11:40 AM']Yeah it’s a good thing if I was ever going to run it with a battery, but I’m not, so basically I have to have battery cap/compartment lid (whatever you want to call it) off all the time after I apply some Velcro because the battery lid has a 1 or 2mm lip that would stop the Velcro attaching flat to a carpeted surface. Seeing as how many players apply Velcro to the bottom of their pedals for them to be used with a carpeted pedalboard, I think the battery compartment could have been designed better.[/quote]

The programmable version has got little feet on it like the old one in your photos, so the velcro thing isn't an issue with the battery compartment -- i wonder why they didn't do that on the new version you've got there?

Well, hang on to the old one for a few more years, and then sell it to some nut as an "original, vintage" version for 5 times what you paid for it. ;)

[quote name='escholl' post='382764' date='Jan 16 2009, 08:50 PM']The programmable version has got little feet on it like the old one in your photos, so the velcro thing isn't an issue with the battery compartment -- i wonder why they didn't do that on the new version you've got there?[/quote]
I have the current version and it does have the rubber feet.

Or rather doesn´t ATM. I took them off because they got in the way of the velcro (while the battery lid was not an issue).

[quote name='escholl' post='382764' date='Jan 16 2009, 08:50 PM']The programmable version has got little feet on it like the old one in your photos, so the velcro thing isn't an issue with the battery compartment -- i wonder why they didn't do that on the new version you've got there?[/quote]

I took the feet off the new one before I took the pictures, no idea why I did this though ;)