Why become a member? ×

Sandberg California JM5,SOLD

P-T-P

I've uhmmmed and ahhhed for a couple of weeks about this but eventually decided to see what the interest level is.

This is a Sandberg California JM5 which was a NAMM 07 showcase piece (as detailed in the neck pocket) which I picked up a few months back. At the time it had been converted to a passive bass with a BadAss bridge on it, through body stringing added and a dunlop straplock button placed at the back of the body near the neck joint.

I've since had the Glockenlaing pre-amp restored with the appropriate control knobs and replaced the BadAss with the correct Sandberg bridge which basically puts this bass back as close to original as it can be. The through body strining ferrules are still in place but probably won't work with the Sandberg bridge (I've not tried) and the dunlop straplock button is still installed as it doesn't get in the way and may be of use to someone down the line. The one possible spoiling factor with the ferrules is that they aren't in a perfect line, though they're not visible really when playing so not a big deal hopefully.

That's the story over with, here's the bass.

As, you can see the body is a stunningly grained natural ash job which is nicely complemented by the black guard, neck inlays and nut. The bass is 34" scale but the Low B sits really well and is nice and tight sounding, possibly down to the zero fret. The action is low and the neck, intonation etc. has been well set up.

Tonally, when I first got the bass back in restored condition I described it as "Epic" to a fellow basschatter. And it I'll stand by that, with the proviso that it's not quite as epic as my DJ5 (a familiar tale for me). There's oodles of tone here, probably more MMan than jazz, though with the coil tap engaged, it does a damned good jazz impression, better than some Fender jazzes I've played.

Pick-ups are a Delano Jazz and Delano Power Humbucker and they deliver a very beefy punch with loads of mid-range presence for you to play around with using the controls, giving stacks of variety.

Controls are Vol - Bal - Treble Cut/Boost - Bass Cut/Boost with the Volume control being push/pull active/passive and the treble control working as a passive tone control when passive is selected using the volume knob. There's also a two way mini-toggle switch which allows the rear coil of the humbucker to be tapped.

Bass comes with a Sandberg gig bag that's in decent nick.

For a sale, I'd like to get £750 delivered in the UK (or £730 collected) or offers in that region (the same bass would cost in the region of £1150-£1200 new, and probably won't have such nice figuring).

Ideally though I'd like to trade for something of lesser value with a some cash also coming my way... e.g. Fender US jazz or P, Lakland 55-01, Warwicks maybe, Geddy jazz, Yamaha or Ibanez 6 perhaps. Jazz and P wise I like maple necks in an ideal world. All things considered but please don't be offended if what you have to offer in the bass department isn't my thing.

Would consider straight swaps for Lakland DJ5 or Fender Jazz 4 FMT/QMT. Maybe a few other similar things.

Drop me a PM or give me a call on 07515 929935.

Edited by P-T-P

Swap for an MM stingray 5'er? Have got a couple of pics ok my facebook site and could get some more if required

Drop me a pm if it's of interest, I'm pretty local too!

Cheers

[quote name='P-T-P' post='381395' date='Jan 15 2009, 03:29 PM']I've uhmmmed and ahhhed for a couple of weeks about this but eventually decided to see what the interest level is.

This is a Sandberg California JM5 which was a NAMM 07 showcase piece (as detailed in the neck pocket) which I picked up a few months back. At the time it had been converted to a passive bass with a BadAss bridge on it, through body stringing added and a dunlop straplock button placed at the back of the body near the neck joint.

I've since had the Glockenlaing pre-amp restored with the appropriate control knobs and replaced the BadAss with the correct Sandberg bridge which basically puts this bass back as close to original as it can be. The through body strining ferrules are still in place but probably won't work with the Sandberg bridge (I've not tried) and the dunlop straplock button is still installed as it doesn't get in the way and may be of use to someone down the line. The one possible spoiling factor with the ferrules is that they aren't in a perfect line, though they're not visible really when playing so not a big deal hopefully.

That's the story over with, here's the bass.

[attachment=18692:sandberg_02.jpg]
[attachment=18693:sandberg_01.jpg]

As, you can see the body is a stunningly grained natural ash job which is nicely complemented by the black guard, neck inlays and nut. The bass is 34" scale but the Low B sits really well and is nice and tight sounding, possibly down to the zero fret. The action is low and the neck, intonation etc. has been well set up.

Tonally, when I first got the bass back in restored condition I described it as "Epic" to a fellow basschatter. And it I'll stand by that, with the proviso that it's not quite as epic as my DJ5 (a familiar tale for me). There's oodles of tone here, probably more MMan than jazz, though with the coil tap engaged, it does a damned good jazz impression, better than some Fender jazzes I've played.

Pick-ups are a Delano Jazz and Delano Power Humbucker and they deliver a very beefy punch with loads of mid-range presence for you to play around with using the controls, giving stacks of variety.

Controls are Vol - Bal - Treble Cut/Boost - Bass Cut/Boost with the Volume control being push/pull active/passive and the treble control working as a passive tone control when passive is selected using the volume knob. There's also a two way mini-toggle switch which allows the rear coil of the humbucker to be tapped.

Bass comes with a Sandberg gig bag that's in decent nick.

For a sale, I'd like to get £750 delivered in the UK (or £730 collected) or offers in that region (the same bass would cost in the region of £1150-£1200 new, and probably won't have such nice figuring).

Ideally though I'd like to trade for something of lesser value with a some cash also coming my way... e.g. Fender US jazz or P, Lakland 55-01, Warwicks maybe, Geddy jazz, Yamaha or Ibanez 6 perhaps. Jazz and P wise I like maple necks in an ideal world. All things considered but please don't be offended if what you have to offer in the bass department isn't my thing.

Would consider straight swaps for Lakland DJ5 or Fender Jazz 4 FMT/QMT. Maybe a few other similar things.

Drop me a PM or give me a call on 07515 929935.[/quote]

[quote name='ieuanmacey' post='381419' date='Jan 15 2009, 03:52 PM']Swap for an MM stingray 5'er? Have got a couple of pics ok my facebook site and could get some more if required

Drop me a pm if it's of interest, I'm pretty local too!

Cheers[/quote]

PM'd

[quote name='cockbongo' post='381490' date='Jan 15 2009, 04:54 PM']PM sent ;)[/quote]

replied

[quote name='P-T-P' post='383912' date='Jan 18 2009, 12:45 PM']A little bump. Had some interesting offers but none quite on the mark yet. Anyone else? Price is negotiable, especially for cash deals.[/quote]

Lovely bass Pete,

Good luck with the sale/trade.

Vern.

ps: anyone dealing with Pete = He`s a top man ;)

Thanks for the coffee and hospitality Pete, took the bass to it's new home and gave her a good run through - absolutely love it

Pleasure doing business, was good to meet you and happy shopping!

Best wishes

Ieuan

p.s. can you leave me some [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=37325"]feedback[/url] please?

[quote name='P-T-P' post='385823' date='Jan 20 2009, 11:18 AM']bump

Any last minute interest. Going to do a deal this afternoon if not.[/quote]