Why become a member? ×

Valve preamp - a few questions

umph

now with my new fetish for submini valves i've found some that run with a plate voltage of around 15V and have a low enough current draw to not eat there way through batterys like theirs no tommorow.

now i have a few questions i want to ask before i go into designing this, what kind EQ do people want with their basses? Would you want to be able to control the gain on the bass and get a tubey grind coming straight out of the jack and at the flick of a switch / turn of a knob go back to a clean sound? Are you opposed to using two batterys(would make them last longer due to not needed voltage doublers?

thanks for any input into this! its something i've been thinking about for a bit and may be offering for sale as a DIY kit or as complete in a box / put into your bass for you.

I use my gold Warmoth with both my wedding and rock bands.

I need a clean sound for the wedding band as we have a drummer, guitarist and keyboard player so I don't want to be lost in a mushy bassiness. I like to have an overdrivey type sound with the rock band as a) it is the kind of sound I prefer and ;) it fills out the band as there is only the drummer, guitarist and me.

I don't like pedals or mucking about extensively with controls so a knob or switch would suit me. Before going down the lightweight route, I was seriuously considering an all-valve amp but the weight out me off.

I would definitely be up for something like this.

I'm very interested to see what you have in mind

Edited by Delberthot

i've built it and thus far its just got a master volume/gain knob sounds great and very valvey. Only problem is it requires a fair bit of padding to stop the valve being microphonic. I'll hvae to make some sound clips sometime, oh and the battery life seems fairly reasonable to since its been going 3 or 4 days and i havn't had to replace it yet!

Edited by umph

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='389041' date='Jan 22 2009, 09:41 PM']I wonder what you could do if you pulled appart/modded one of the takamine valve preamps[/quote]
i think they run with starved plates and have a battery life of an hour or two, so not ideal, The only gripe is microphonics like if you hit the bass or play really hard you get ringing, i need to think of some kind of way of padding it out to prevent this.

[quote name='umph' post='393586' date='Jan 28 2009, 12:45 PM']i think they run with starved plates and have a battery life of an hour or two, so not ideal, The only gripe is microphonics like [b]if you hit the bass or play really hard[/b] you get ringing, i need to think of some kind of way of padding it out to prevent this.[/quote]

I do both