Why become a member? ×

Spector preamp change

niceguyhomer

I've been thinking of changing the preamp in my Spector LX5 after reading the "Tone Dump" thread on Talkbass. I just find the Tone Pump a bit raw and too hot for some songs.

Yesterday, I tried a Warwick Streamer 6 in PMT in Manchester and it sounded sweeter and a lot more 'musical' to my ears so I've now made my mind up to go ahead and change the preamp.

Trouble is, it's difficult to make your mind up which one to go for. I'm thinking of buying either the EMG BQC System or the ACG 02 but to be honest, I'm not that convinced about either for various reasons.

Anyone got any comments / advice for me before I take the plunge?

PS - I take back whatever I said about Warwicks - I'd be very happy with that Streamer 6 I tried.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='377452' date='Jan 12 2009, 10:38 AM']I've been thinking of changing the preamp in my Spector LX5 after reading the "Tone Dump" thread on Talkbass. I just find the Tone Pump a bit raw and too hot for some songs.

Yesterday, I tried a Warwick Streamer 6 in PMT in Manchester and it sounded sweeter and a lot more 'musical' to my ears so I've now made my mind up to go ahead and change the preamp.

Trouble is, it's difficult to make your mind up which one to go for. I'm thinking of buying either the EMG BQC System or the ACG 02 but to be honest, I'm not that convinced about either for various reasons.

PS - I take back whatever I said about Warwicks - I'd be very happy with that Streamer 6 I tried.[/quote]
Send Cetera a PM. He's got quite a few Spectors with a variety of preamps in. He is the man in the know...... ;)

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='377452' date='Jan 12 2009, 10:38 AM']I've been thinking of changing the preamp in my Spector LX5 after reading the "Tone Dump" thread on Talkbass. I just find the Tone Pump a bit raw and too hot for some songs.

PS - I take back whatever I said about Warwicks - I'd be very happy with that Streamer 6 I tried.[/quote]

I'm here.... no need for a PM ;)

Before doing anything.... e-mail [email protected] and ask him about the new option of a dip switch/power reducer for the TonePump. I believe this is a new development for those who find it too hot...

Otherwise, I also enjoy the tones I get from my Aguilar OBP-3 and EMG BT systems...
I think you may like the OBP-3

As I'm sure you are aware Al the ACG pre will give you a much wider spectrum of tones. The only possible problem I see is the existing active pickups. Alan at ACG or John East would be able to advise you here.

I like the tone pump for what it is but if you are a one bass covers all the bases type of guy then I can see the issue. I've read through the thread on TB and don't totally go with it. I'm sure some guys don't 'read the tin' and appreciate that the tone controls are boost only and then think about the significance of this.

I'd say check out the switch option 1st (I'm going to check it out myself). It probably won't have any resale implication and could be the cheapest, easiest and most Spectoracular way of getting something more versatile.

Pedro

Edited by GreeneKing

I've been thinking of whacking the EMG system into mine as well. I know Josh was looking into it before so perhaps he can chip in.

It's not that I don't get on with the tonepump, I use it flat 99% of the time.

Some extra control would be handy, in being able to cut as well as boost. Plus you get the extra mid control which would be sweet.

[quote name='Basszilla' post='377772' date='Jan 12 2009, 03:07 PM']I've been thinking of whacking the EMG system into mine as well. I know Josh was looking into it before so perhaps he can chip in.

It's not that I don't get on with the tonepump, I use it flat 99% of the time.

Some extra control would be handy, in being able to cut as well as boost. Plus you get the extra mid control which would be sweet.[/quote]

All I can chip in with is that I'm in the exact same boat and I'll wait until Al updates his before I do mine.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='377761' date='Jan 12 2009, 02:56 PM']I've read through the thread on TB and don't totally go with it. I'm sure some guys don't 'read the tin' and appreciate that the tone controls are boost only and then think about the significance of this.[/quote]

HUGE +1

It's amazing how the 'all on 10' brigade don't understand the less is more concept. Start with tone controls 'off' (in this case EQ is flat... then just add to suit taste ;)

Thanks fellas - I always use it with the tone pots rolled completely off. The 'switch' route sounds interesting but that won't cure one of my other dislikes - two volume controls - I'd rather just have a master volume and a blend pot if I possibly can.

I've been using my Rebop 5 a lot more lately and apart from the very soothing benefit of reduced weight that my shoulder enjoys, I actually prefer the tone / lower output. TBH I think that's half the problem, cos whenever I switch back to the Euro, it's a bit like getting out of my Mondeo and driving a Dodge Viper with the traction control off.

I don't get it with the tone pump? I have been to several forums where many people seem to criticize it??? If it's that unpopular why have they persisted with it? It's all very well saying that it's that people are using it wrong, but the fact still remains that a lot of users don't like it!

The 'Tonepump' imo is great, it's full on mid biased bass. Spector aren't green and they didn't ignore the competition when they conceived this pre amp. From the platform of a strong mid frequency it gives you the ability to add tons of bass and treble. These basses are always going to be 'out there' in the mix and that maybe isn't a bad thing.

We would be the 1st to complain when an instrument doesn't 'cut the mustard' and I can think of a few manufacturers that might apply to.

It makes a change for us bassists to complain when a bass it too hot ;)

Peter

I've just heard back from PJ at Spector. It seems the post mid 08 basses have an internal switch (I think it's a switch but it may be a trim pot) that tones down the TonePump. If you want a newer Tonepump they are $100 basically.

So it's worth a look inside guys to see if you've got one. I'd guess Sound Control stock probably won't have but worth a look.

Peter

I guess it's all a matter of taste and what sort of band you play in. I didn't get on with the Tone Pump in my Rebop 5 and an OBP1 didn't help much either. So now I've got it wired passive, with La Bella flats on it. I think it sounds great, but I'm expecting to be frog-marched out of the Spector club any minute now. ;)

[quote name='spinynorman' post='388021' date='Jan 21 2009, 11:03 PM']I guess it's all a matter of taste and what sort of band you play in. I didn't get on with the Tone Pump in my Rebop 5 and an OBP1 didn't help much either. So now I've got it wired passive, with La Bella flats on it. I think it sounds great, but I'm expecting to be frog-marched out of the Spector club any minute now. ;)[/quote]

+1

Rewired my Spector to passive volume/tone controls and do prefer it a lot over the active tone control. But my Spector is from the Kramer era, so afaik it´s not the Tone Pump and I generally dislike active tone controls.