Why become a member? ×

Argos misrepresenting a Cort Bass?

yorks5stringer

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='374614' date='Jan 8 2009, 11:19 PM']The Google ads at the top of this page say "Bass Cort Guitar at Argos": open the ad and it's an "Encore"
WTF is going on, how can they mislead people like this?
Ad has gone now but it will be back......[/quote]

I have a Gmail account. I exchanged a few emails with a friend on the subject of a cycling holiday in Belgium and sure enough I got an ad suggesting that if I wanted to buy Belgium then Ebay was the place to look...

[quote name='Rowbee' post='374630' date='Jan 8 2009, 11:33 PM']Are you sure you want to buy Belgium? It's very flat. I'd go for Azerbaijan or something if I were you.[/quote]

That's what I thought. It was a very boring holiday as far as the cycling went; the WW1 graveyards were an emotional experience though.

[quote name='bremen' post='374625' date='Jan 8 2009, 11:27 PM']I have a Gmail account. I exchanged a few emails with a friend on the subject of a cycling holiday in Belgium and sure enough I got an ad suggesting that if I wanted to buy Belgium then Ebay was the place to look...[/quote]

Buy it! That's where they make Stella! A prison sentence for assault, GBH and murder awaits!

Agree with the WWI graveyards. I'll be going again this year too.

Edited by WHUFC BASS

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='374915' date='Jan 9 2009, 11:09 AM']Buy it! That's where they make Stella! A prison sentence for assault, GBH and murder awaits![/quote]

We rode past an establishment called the University of Artois. The Viz reader in me found that funny. -Where have you been? -ah, sorry I'm late, love. I was studying at the University of Artois.

[quote]Agree with the WWI graveyards. I'll be going again this year too.[/quote]

I was horrified and moved to stumble upon a field full of graves of kids from New Zealand. What the f*** did it have to do with them? It's like a Brit in 2009 getting called up to join in a scrap between Jupiter and Uranus.

[quote name='bremen' post='374931' date='Jan 9 2009, 11:33 AM']We rode past an establishment called the University of Artois. The Viz reader in me found that funny. -Where have you been? -ah, sorry I'm late, love. I was studying at the University of Artois.[/quote]

I was studying the university of Guinness and Vodka the other night. Had a lot of homework to do as well.

[quote]I was horrified and moved to stumble upon a field full of graves of kids from New Zealand. What the f*** did it have to do with them? It's like a Brit in 2009 getting called up to join in a scrap between Jupiter and Uranus.[/quote]

They were part of the Empire as was Canada, Australia, India, parts of Africa and Ireland - where my great uncle's were from. Both fought in World War One. I recently researched one of their army records and he served with the 5th Royal Irish Lancers. There was no historical record of the regiment in print so I decided to write one. Its available on Amazon if anyone is interested.

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='374934' date='Jan 9 2009, 11:38 AM']They were part of the Empire as was Canada, Australia, India, parts of Africa and Ireland[/quote]

I know, I was just imagining how remote and irrelevant it must have seemed to a Kiwi till the call-up came.

[quote]- where my great uncle's were from. Both fought in World War One. I recently researched one of their army records and he served with the 5th Royal Irish Lancers. There was no historical record of the regiment in print so I decided to write one. Its available on Amazon if anyone is interested.[/quote]

What's your name (or the name of the book)?

It probably won't actually be Argos creating those adverts, it'll be someone who is part of their affiliate scheme. They pay for every click on the ad in the hope that you subsequently buy something and, through some tracking in the URL, they'll get a cut of the purchase price. I can't imagine it working very well in this case.