Why become a member? ×

Stingray GAS!

Wil

So, what's the Stingray all about then eh? I've been gassin' all this week, for no good reason, for a black maple board Ray. A 4 string, even, and I'm a 5 string man!

I think its because I've been hankering for something a bit more organic than my graphite necked Status of late, but with the same solid build and enough cut for a modern rock band. I love the looks of the 4 string ray, and hate the looks of the 5, hence the preference for the 4. It would need to be able to handle BEAD tuning, mind...

Now, I love my Statii, but I tend to have more of an affinity for my old battered Series 1 with its wood neck than the S2 I had made, which is a shame. The S2 sounds a bit sterile to my ears, and although it feels great its all about the noise it makes, right?

Now, the question is, should I chop in the Status for a Stingray? :huh: And of course, the Sterling hasn't even come into the equation yet... :)

[quote name='Wil' post='38815' date='Jul 30 2007, 10:21 AM']So, what's the Stingray all about then eh? I've been gassin' all this week, for no good reason, for a black maple board Ray. A 4 string, even, and I'm a 5 string man!

I think its because I've been hankering for something a bit more organic than my graphite necked Status of late, but with the same solid build and enough cut for a modern rock band. I love the looks of the 4 string ray, and hate the looks of the 5, hence the preference for the 4. It would need to be able to handle BEAD tuning, mind...

Now, I love my Statii, but I tend to have more of an affinity for my old battered Series 1 with its wood neck than the S2 I had made, which is a shame. The S2 sounds a bit sterile to my ears, and although it feels great its all about the noise it makes, right?

Now, the question is, should I chop in the Status for a Stingray? :huh: And of course, the Sterling hasn't even come into the equation yet... :)[/quote]

Well if you want to see both that exact Stingray and Sterling, that colour, both single pick ups and both maple boards, Sound Control in Birmingham have both in.

Infact they only have those two and a Stealth Bongo in their MM section.

Worth a trip up to try before you buy?

Edited by Bongo Steve

Mine's a 2 EQ version of the one above. I use that and a jazz live, and at Saturdays gig, the ray sounded so awesome, the jazz didn't get a look in all night. Power, punch and clarity all rolled in to one sexy body................ and the bass is nice too.

I'd always wanted one, now I've got one, and it's my number one, I love it.

add a matching black headstock then thats what i am after. like you i was never a fan of the five string but the more i looked at it the more i liked it. I now have a five string fretless mm black body, black scratch plate with a pau ferro fingerboard and im in love with it.

[quote name='Rayman' post='38831' date='Jul 30 2007, 10:50 AM']Mine's a 2 EQ version of the one above. I use that and a jazz live, and at Saturdays gig, the ray sounded so awesome, the jazz didn't get a look in all night. Power, punch and clarity all rolled in to one sexy body................ and the bass is nice too.

I'd always wanted one, now I've got one, and it's my number one, I love it.[/quote]

Same here - my Jazz is purely a backup bass, will never take the number one spot.

OOOOOHHHHH it's the Aerosmith bass, very very nice indeed.

[quote name='Wil' post='39495' date='Jul 31 2007, 01:10 PM']Can the 2EQ stingray cut through as much as the 3EQ?[/quote]

[b][size=4]YES[/size][/b]

[quote name='metaltime' post='38840' date='Jul 30 2007, 11:07 AM']add a matching black headstock then thats what i am after.[/quote]

You mean like this one? :)

The Sterling and HH Ray are no longer in my possession, but the Black H was the first "high end" bass I ever bought, and she's definitely a keeper. I also have a 2 band Black Ray with Rosewood fretboard, which is strung with stainless slinkys, whenever I'm after a slightly different sound. Love my Rays.

Well if Dave's gonna name drop then I will too COUGHCOUGHCLIFFWILLIAMSCOUGH!

AND its black :)

Plus my 77/78 slapper.

If you can find a graphite necked cutlass, or even a status necked NAMM Stingray you might find they bridge the gap in sound between your statii and the stingray. A Status Groove Bass might also help keep you faithful while letting you play around a little. :huh:

oh blimey Al, is that a 1 piece body on your sterling?! Phwoaaar.

[quote name='Wil' post='39573' date='Jul 31 2007, 04:02 PM']I thought you sold your Cutlass Kiwi?
I remember it was too expensive for me, but the Cass Lewis fan in me wants it so much! wub.gif[/quote]

I did sell it (funnily enough, Cass Lewis almost bought it) but then I found one that was even rarer than a normal cutlass - one with a 3 bolt neck and there's only about 5 of them known plus mine is ex AC/DC :)

I have a 2 band black 87 Ray with a maple fretboard.
I wanted the mid pot so I changed the electronics for a J-retro unit supplied as a direct replacement.
Sounds cool and looks great.

After playing it for 16 years or so I find it too heavy now for 2 hours of gigging on a regular basis.

Its semi retired now in favour of the Fender Jazz V

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='39581' date='Jul 31 2007, 04:16 PM']oh blimey Al, is that a 1 piece body on your sterling?! Phwoaaar.
I did sell it (funnily enough, Cass Lewis almost bought it) but then I found one that was even rarer than a normal cutlass - one with a 3 bolt neck and there's only about 5 of them known :huh:[/quote]

Cass Lewis nearly bought your bass?!

:)

Blimey!

Lovely Sterling Homer.

[quote name='wazz' post='39583' date='Jul 31 2007, 04:17 PM']I have a 2 band black 87 Ray with a maple fretboard.
I wanted the mid pot so I changed the electronics for a J-retro unit supplied as a direct replacement.
Sounds cool and looks great.

After playing it for 16 years or so I find it too heavy now for 2 hours of gigging on a regular basis.

Its semi retired now in favour of the Fender Jazz V[/quote]

Fancy selling?

[quote name='Wil' post='39587' date='Jul 31 2007, 04:26 PM']Cass Lewis nearly bought your bass?!

:)[/quote]

Yeah, he was offered the bass but turned it down because he was more interested in buying Harleys at the time apparently. He's a Cutlass collector, so the Bass Centre tell me. Dave Swift from Jools Holland's band also gave me a call about it, but he wanted to refinish it! I never ended up finding out who it eventually went to.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='39581' date='Jul 31 2007, 04:16 PM']oh blimey Al, is that a 1 piece body on your sterling?! Phwoaaar.
I did sell it (funnily enough, Cass Lewis almost bought it) but then I found one that was even rarer than a normal cutlass - one with a 3 bolt neck and there's only about 5 of them known :)[/quote]

It is indeed a one piece body sir :huh:

[quote name='Wil' post='39589' date='Jul 31 2007, 04:26 PM']Fancy selling?[/quote]

Wil, I happily got divorced but I could never part with "the wife".
I get bad looks from the guitar rack everytime I go out to gig with the mistress now!