Why become a member? ×

Replacement pickups on vintage bass

MonkeyTrick

I found a late 70s / early 80's EKO bass and it is the most comfortable I've ever played. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the pickups. They are not great for big grindy tones. I usually use a lot of effects in one band and just through a Darkglass b3k in another but these pickups sound awful through either when compared to my Squier P or Ibanez Src6. It's not the flatwounds, I've tried the setup with both. I've been looking at replacements but I'm pretty overwhelmed with choice and unsure which size is going to fit as the stock ones seem super small can anyone give some advice? Pics below for sizing.

IMG_20191008_091928001.jpg

IMG_20191008_091936247.jpg

IMG_20191008_091921228.jpg

IMG_20191008_091856651.jpg

Edited by MonkeyTrick

Just now, Steve Browning said:

Not sure of your location but could you get those pickups rewound to your spec?

A good friend works at Eternal Guitars (they make the old Wizard pickups) and he is constantly talking about what can be done.

Great idea! I'm based in London. I know next to nothing about wiring pickups but will get in contact.

Removing the pickup & surround should give you an idea of whether or not there's room to install something different without routing the body.

Have to say if it was my bass I wouldn't want to mod it irreversibly, or at worst, visibly. These Ekos are pretty rare and I'd be looking at mounting a different pickup in a new surround, using the existing screwholes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Removing the pickup & surround should give you an idea of whether or not there's room to install something different without routing the body.

Have to say if it was my bass I wouldn't want to mod it irreversibly, or at worst, visibly. These Ekos are pretty rare and I'd be looking at mounting a different pickup in a new surround, using the existing screwholes.

Yeah I agree, I'm not keen on modifying the body so it would have to slot in. God knows how I'd find ones that will line up nicely. 

On 10/10/2019 at 14:57, MonkeyTrick said:

Just wondering if it's going to set me back more than the value of the guitar haha

You'll be pleasantly surprised just how affordable it is. 

Few weeks back I had David at Bloodstone build me an insanely overwound humbucker in single coil format. Cost a lot less than an off the shelf Duncan 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1