Why become a member? ×

1968 Fender Jazz Bass

Mike

Greetings all!

After my Shuker which arrived recently, I'm clearing out several basses - possibly to make way for one more, but more about that another time!

This is a bass I bought a few years ago. According to the serial number, it's a 1968 model. I bought it from an ex-pro, who was leaving the country, and he in turn had bought it from the Bass Centre (I believe the old one at Wapping) who had verified the bass's age, as well as the modifications to it, which I will highlight in a moment.

It's a sunburst finish, but quite faded at the front, so very little red. It might be due to the type of finish of this period, possibly. The back, as you can see in the pictures, is still reasonably bright and colourful. I wonder if it's been hung up in sunlight or something. Still, it's a nice tobacco sunburst effect now.

The neck was bound and most likely blocked with inlays - however, at some point, the fingerboard was removed and a fretless lined ebony board installed.

The pickups are non original EMGs - although I have no idea how old they are. They are active, and powered by a battery found beneath the control plate (which may or may not be original - I've no reason to think otherwise) along with the knobs, which certainly aren't original! These EMGs sound absolutely fantastic - genuinely how a jazz should sound. My preferred tone is either full on, or bridge only, and really is a wonderful tone. I can try and record it, perhaps, for any potential buyers.

The neck, although showing the age, feels beautifully worn in and smooth. I have shown the bass to Mike Walsh of Iceni Zoot basses, and he mentioned there is a very slight bow in the neck. He told me this when I asked him about the possibility of refretting it. He says while it's absolutely fine for a fretless, if it were fretted there would be difficulties.
So, to sum up, as it is, it's fine (I have a relatively low action on it - it could probably go lower but not comfortable for me) as a fretless, but if you were thinking of refretting it, it's probably worth buying a replacement Fender fretted neck.

It's got the battle scars of decades of gigging and rehearsing, and over the years the pickguard seems to have disappeared, along with the chrome pickup covers and finger-rest.

Now, I can send higher quality pics to anyone if they send me their email address.

Ideally I'd like the buyer to see it and play it first, but I can ship if need be. It didn't come with a case so I can either dig out a soft case and box it really well, or perhaps buy a cheapish hard case round here at the buyers expense and ship it that way.

I'm based in Chelmsford, in Essex, very close to the A12 which in turn is not far from the M25 (think Lakeside!). I'm in a CM2 postcode area.

Here are some pics, hope they work!

Oh, the price?! Genuinely open to offers - I know what the economic climate is like. But this is a fantastic historic bass with an unbelievable fretless sound, so it would make a fine addition to the discerning bassist's stable!

Cheers!

Mike

Edited by Mike

Oh this is lovely. Very tempted, Can you see how much the neck is bowed? I only like to play with paper thin action would you say it has a low action?

I am terrible at guessing prices. Do you have a ballpark figure we can work from?

Cheers. Rob.

Edited by Shockwave

Well, I can just about see the bow, I don't think it's too bad at all. I have had a fretted neck on this bass for the last few months and it sounded wonderful. When I put the fretless neck back on, I was still getting low action, without any problems. I see you're in Bristol, not too local, sadly, and I'm not around your neck of the woods anytime soon.

Pricewise, I know what I'd like but I'm willing to compromise. I would be interested in a trade for a Sadowsky 4 string with rosewood board, put it that way!
Genuinely, I'm not sure what I can get in this climate. If I get any offers maybe it'll clear it up and I'll have a firmer idea. I'm not looking at making a killing, I like to give BCers a reasonable deal and I think my past sales have reflected that - to the point that people have bought my gear then sold it for profit!

I could be annoying and say it's worth whatever someone will pay for it! :)

I remember meeting this bass at the bash a acouple of years back. I don't think the pics do it justice as I remember thinking at the time that it was the ultimate vintage Fender, it just oozed history and mojo. I reckon you must have polished it for the pics Mike!
TBH I can't believe you're selling it, you seemed pretty attached to it a while back. Either way, good luck with the sale, despite the current financial situation, there'll be a lot of people wanting it I'm sure
Chris

Hi Chris

Thanks for the message. It is a wonderful bass. I'm not selling it because I don't like it - I just don't really play it enough to justify it, which is terrible. I think I'd use certain basses more than this one. If it doesn't sell I'm not too worried!

Thanks for your mini-review, I think you nailed it! :)

Regards

Mike

[quote name='Brother Jones' post='371527' date='Jan 5 2009, 11:38 PM']Interesting. A four string Metro or a five?[/quote]

Hi there, it would be a 4 string, with rosewood board I'd be after.

I don't suppose.......?

[quote name='Brother Jones' post='372517' date='Jan 6 2009, 10:20 PM']Sod's law - my 4 is a maple board and the 5 is pau ferro.

Oh well...[/quote]

I wouldnt rule it out, what were you thinking? Got pics?

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='380883' date='Jan 15 2009, 12:24 AM']Why is it a three-colour sunburst on the back, but only two on the front?[/quote]

[quote name='Mike' post='370700' date='Jan 5 2009, 10:37 AM']It's a sunburst finish, but quite faded at the front, so very little red. It might be due to the type of finish of this period, possibly. The back, as you can see in the pictures, is still reasonably bright and colourful. I wonder if it's been hung up in sunlight or something. Still, it's a nice tobacco sunburst effect now.[/quote]

In original post man!

[quote name='Jase' post='380892' date='Jan 15 2009, 12:33 AM']Looks a fine bass Mike, nice, comfy and worn. Looks a fine job on the ebony board.[/quote]

Cheers Jase - it really is. I think the neck is one of the nicest parts of it.

And thanks Josh!

Any other questions let me know!

• 3 weeks later...