Why become a member? ×

What are Wharfedale up to...?

wateroftyne

So how much did they spend on market research before trotting that load of shyte out? Obviously there will be a few people who will quite like that design and it would be nice to see a move away from the innocuous black box but FFS what kind of tasteless, talentless chuffin designer came up with that! Sorry, I hate to see any company underachieve but that has a massive FAIL stamped right across it.

• 1 year later...

Just walked into PMT in Romford and they had a Wharfedale Bass stack in there. Seem to have maroon / red vinyl covering and actually aren't that bad looking. There was a compact looking 1x15 and a 4x10.

Best of all, the 1x15 was £129! Some youngster sales assistant was hovering over me, so didn't fancy giving it a whirl. Anyone tried it yet?

Edited by Sharkfinger

I don't know the Wharfedale bass/guitar rigs but my band uses their Wharfedale Pro (red label) PA system (2 2x15"+T on the bottom plus 2 1x15"+T on top) and i haven't found another PA sounding as good as that for an acoustic band. We tried Mackie, EV, JBL,... and i still prefer Wharfedale. Very defined and well balanced. It's been lasting for 5 years now and still working without complaints.

The tweed [i]guitar[/i] cabs/speakers are not bad and the guitar amps are visually better too. The bass stuff isnt [i]that[/i] bad, frankly i dont care what it looks like if it sounds good. I am just at a loss to understand why they thought they had to [i]jazz up [/i]the looks of the Bass range? Does it really need to be looking [i]that [/i]different from the guitar amp range? I mean why? Surely it would have saved a few bob to make them all from the same material.

• 2 weeks later...

always been a 15`s man myself (still am :) ) but gonna start of with the wharfedale as my first 2x10 cab as i have joined a second band of a different genre so looking for different sound.

will post my opinion when i have bought and tried it out but would be interested to hear any opinions from anyone that has tried one

[quote name='MythSte' post='369884' date='Jan 4 2009, 02:06 PM']*Starts Frantically writing to Mission asking if theres any hope of bass cabs!*[/quote]

Trust me, that could end just as badly from my experience in hi-fi retail mission have, quite knowingly, turned out some awful plastic/chipboard tat! The amount of 702e's and 701's that disintegrated was unreal, mission banned us from asking about it in the end; they simply fessed up and said, 'yup. We spent the money on buying reviews so we could make these really cheap and sell a pile of em, ...what of it, shut up and sell em!' They were truly awful! I had several incidents where if you picked up the speaker by the port the whole front baffle would tear out the top of the cab, drivers n all :-) you could squeeze em and hear em creak too lol. But the blinded masses would wave their what hi-fi reviews and buy em all day long, usually returning several pairs refusing to believe the truth, ah Good times, anyway I digress. Sadly wharfedale have also been off form for a very long time now. Shame.

Edited by gafbass02

blurb on the 2x10 cab....

Wharfedale Musical Instruments designs and builds its own loudspeakers from the ground up (including cones and all hardware), thus each speaker in the WHB range has been specifically made for that product – something that no other company that we know of can claim, thus resulting in a no-compromise approach to our sound quality. For instance, our titanium high frequency horn has a special angular flare projecting the sound not only straight ahead into the audience – but, uniquely upwards into the player’s hearing.

All cabinets are solidly built from plywood and all feature extensive internal bracing for vibration free performance down to the lowest notes.

The classy good looks come from all Wharfedale proprietary cabinet hardware.

Feature Summary:
2 X 10” bass cabinet
2 x Wharfedale WMI-B10-100-16 bass guitar loudspeaker in optimally tuned cabinet.
200 watts @ 8 ohm use.
Coupled with proprietary Wharfedale titanium compression driven multi-angular high frequency horn using high power crossover network
Black vinyl with Grey painted “W” steel grille. Wharfedale side grab handles.
Rear mounted combined Jack/Speakon input socket plate.
Dimension(mm) = 613 (W) x 412 (D) x 427 (H)
Weight = 23.2K

[quote name='crez5150' post='383102' date='Jan 17 2009, 12:47 PM']Seems the product listing is up.... interesting though look far to far-eastern looking I think. They've also gone back to using the original Logo on these - [url="http://www.amps.wharfedale.com/Products/Series/tabid/82/PID/2/Default.aspx"]Whafedale[/url][/quote]

woah they've got a bit of a grannys nitted top vibe going on

I played through one of [url="http://www.amps.wharfedale.com/Products/product/tabid/83/PID/11/Default.aspx"]these[/url] in Leeds' PMT a couple of weeks ago, it was paired with the 15" cab. I can't remember how much it was, but I remember thinking it sounded pretty good for the money. However, it did have a bit of a cheap feel to it.

• 2 weeks later...

bought the 2x10 for £129 in PMT southend..... well worth the money. solid cab and delivers a tight,punchy sound.

took off the original grille though and stuck these on....

[url="http://img225.imageshack.us/i/02092010060.jpg/"][/url]

makes a change from lugging this around....

[url="http://img202.imageshack.us/i/rige.jpg/"][/url]

happy days