Why become a member? ×

Thoughts on Mayones Viking/Patriot/Prestige/Comodous?

SirMoxie

Help! I'm very intrigued by a Mayones Viking 4 string I played recently (the finest playing bass I've held in recent memory) but there's so little info about these out there outside of a select few videos. I don't see much about Mayones on the bass forums other than the Jabba Jazz Bass model, which seems relatively common. I PM'd a couple of people I found who are/were owners but would love to hear more.  I'm in the US and we don't see as much from Mayones over here.

Does anyone own (or DID you own) any of these models in the "humbucker-based" family? I listed all of the models that are mostly similar other than body shape. If you did own one but don't anymore, what turned you off? What do you think of the tone and playability?  I'd really love to get more input on these basses before I seriously consider taking the plunge. Right now I feel as though I'm going in blind, outside of my own personal experience, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but it's quite an investment so I'd like to know more. Thanks so much!!

I love this Viking... It looks like a Ric for the modern era...

viking_4_001.jpg

Edited by SirMoxie

I have played few in a shop. One beauty was very dark, so a good looking one, but the weight was enormous. If weight is an issue, I would check that first. These Mayonnaises are certainly a good shot: looks, workmanship, quality, but the weight raises some discussion.

11 minutes ago, itu said:

I have played few in a shop. One beauty was very dark, so a good looking one, but the weight was enormous. If weight is an issue, I would check that first. These Mayonnaises are certainly a good shot: looks, workmanship, quality, but the weight raises some discussion.

Thanks itu!  This model is about 9.5 lbs... about the same as my Fender Jazz and my 4003S... so not bad at all!

Edited by SirMoxie

I had a feel, that the builder(s) is a seasoned worker. Seams felt tight and good, so the woodwork was as it should be, very good. For the price in my country, I might say that they were solid performers. As I am into lighter instruments (rather 6 than 10 lbs), they were not my cup of tea.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, itu said:

Weight is the thing that struck me about the ones I’ve tried. Some very nice basses, but very heavy.

• Like 1

FYI - there is a Mayones Comodous Classic 6 for sale in central Dublin, details here. I'm in Dublin too but don't have €1,700 to play with. I can't see whether the owner would ship it, but I imagine the cost won't be much less than a return flight on Ryanair, even with the €50 extra they charge for instruments.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dood said:

P.S. LOVED IT!

I also really like the BE Ash basses too and would like a 5 string.

Thanks Dood!  Yes, that's a great video demo.  I found a couple of others as well but not enough!  You know how this is... it's never enough.  :)

51 minutes ago, bnt said:

FYI - there is a Mayones Comodous Classic 6 for sale in central Dublin, details here. I'm in Dublin too but don't have €1,700 to play with. I can't see whether the owner would ship it, but I imagine the cost won't be much less than a return flight on Ryanair, even with the €50 extra they charge for instruments.

That's 2 more strings than I prefer, and I'm hoping to find a Viking, but it's a beautiful piece!!

1 hour ago, SirMoxie said:

Thanks Dood!  Yes, that's a great video demo.  I found a couple of others as well but not enough!  You know how this is... it's never enough.  :)

No problem!

I loved the neck profile and balance on these. The example I played I don't recall being too heavy and I particularly liked the voicing of the preamp that suited the bass nicely even though Barts aren't my usual 'first choice' of pickup (even though they are good, no doubt about that.)

I really want to try a 5 string version to see what the Low B is like - but what I did notice is the strength of tone in the lows. A punchy rounded kick verses some instruments being a little woolly in comparison. 

16 minutes ago, Dood said:

No problem!

I loved the neck profile and balance on these. The example I played I don't recall being too heavy and I particularly liked the voicing of the preamp that suited the bass nicely even though Barts aren't my usual 'first choice' of pickup (even though they are good, no doubt about that.)

I really want to try a 5 string version to see what the Low B is like - but what I did notice is the strength of tone in the lows. A punchy rounded kick verses some instruments being a little woolly in comparison. 

That’s really good info… Thank you!  Apparently these Aguilar preamps are really nice, though I  haven’t experienced much of them first hand. What I am also really interested in hearing is how it might fit in the mix with either a live band or in a recording. Was hoping that maybe someone here has experience with one or both with these… Or even with the pick up and preamp combo!

Edited by SirMoxie

32 minutes ago, SirMoxie said:

That’s really good info… Thank you!  Apparently these Aguilar preamps are really nice, though I  haven’t experienced much of them first hand. What I am also really interested in hearing is how it might fit in the mix with either a live band or in a recording. Was hoping that maybe someone here has experience with one or both with these… Or even with the pick up and preamp combo!

The thing with some basses that I review is that they can have say, a scooped tone, or a peak in the pickups response that can't really be ironed out. I recall one instrument, thinking that I couldn't hear it in any other genre than metal. It was a lovely bass but in had "no middle" and all the great pick attack in spades. It wasn't really even the fault of the electronics as I'd heard them in a completely different bass and they were fine. It just had one dimension.

Anyway, cut to the chase. The Viking has a really nice focussed tone without any of the above. I would have a hard time trying to think of a genre it wouldn't sound good in actually. I don't own a Mayones by the way. I had to give this one back!

• Thanks 1

I have only tried a Jabba Custom in Guitar Guitar. Fit and finish was up there with my own Vigiers and Sadowskys, which is about as high a praise I can give. If the quality is the same in the other basses I don't really see where you could go wrong. Preamp wasn't entirely for me (I think I prefer the simplicity of the Sadowsky preamp) , but wouldn't have been a deal breaker in terms of buying the bass. 

3 minutes ago, Skybone said:

Really like the shape & build of the Viking, just wish they'd make a passive version.

Would like to find a 4 string one to try it out.

It’s got a passive switch!!  Passive mode sounds great too. Disengages all of the knobs except for volume/pan/tone in passive mode. 

15 hours ago, Dood said:

The thing with some basses that I review is that they can have say, a scooped tone, or a peak in the pickups response that can't really be ironed out. I recall one instrument, thinking that I couldn't hear it in any other genre than metal. It was a lovely bass but in had "no middle" and all the great pick attack in spades. It wasn't really even the fault of the electronics as I'd heard them in a completely different bass and they were fine. It just had one dimension.

Anyway, cut to the chase. The Viking has a really nice focussed tone without any of the above. I would have a hard time trying to think of a genre it wouldn't sound good in actually. I don't own a Mayones by the way. I had to give this one back!

Right!  I found that it does sound kind of scooped at times (not necessarily a bad thing depending on what you’re doing) but then when you boost that mid EQ knob just a bit it really smooths it out and gives you a nice full and even frequency response across the spectrum!

Edited by SirMoxie

16 hours ago, Dood said:

No problem!

How do you delete posts? Accidentally replied to the wrong one!

Edited by 4000

15 hours ago, Dood said:

i’ve Found this with a lot of modern basses. Many that I’ve owned, stick them in a guitar band and they disappear, no matter what you do with the eq. Some you can get round by heavily boosting the onboard mids and bass; Ibanez SRs spring to mind.

Edited by 4000
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, 4000 said:

i’ve Found this with a lot of modern basses. Many that I’ve owned, stick them in a guitar band and they disappear, no matter what you do with the eq. Some you can get round by heavily boosting the onboard mids and bass; Ibanez SRs spring to mind.

Well, in a moment of madness I went to the shop last night and bought myself the 4 string Viking!!  I love it so far.

I will post back here after I rehearse with the band this coming week and see how it sits with other instruments in the room.  I'm also going to do some tracking with it in some old projects, replacing some old bass tracks, to see how it sits in a recorded mix compared to my other basses.  I'll let you know how it goes!  Woohoo!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SirMoxie said:

Well, in a moment of madness I went to the shop last night and bought myself the 4 string Viking!!  I love it so far.

I will post back here after I rehearse with the band this coming week and see how it sits with other instruments in the room.  I'm also going to do some tracking with it in some old projects, replacing some old bass tracks, to see how it sits in a recorded mix compared to my other basses.  I'll let you know how it goes!  Woohoo!!

Congratulations! - As they say on the internet, "this thread is useless without pictures", so looking forward to seeing the new beauty! Brilliant :) 

10 minutes ago, SirMoxie said:

How did I not do that already!?!?!  Here it is!

fullsizeoutput_43dc.jpeg

Whoa! That looks great! I take it it’s a wenge neck?

Do you mind me asking what sort of price range? No problem if you’d sooner not say.

Edited by 4000