Why become a member? ×

First bassline of 2009

ednaplate

Put my back out on Boxing Day, suddenly got MUCH worse on New Year's Day, played for maybe 30 minutes on Saturday (a selection of Steely Dan songs) because another BassChatter popped in to see me - just long enough to give me GAS for his Ken Smith 5-string - and ... erm ... that's it.

In too much pain to pick up a bass. How Godawful is that?

I have set myself the new years resolution of learning Jaco Pastorius's Teen Town, i bought a book of his containing a cd of backing tracks, i perhaps wouldn't have bought it if i had known in advance that the backing tracks were to be played by an army of 1980's casio keyboards on acid!

But i did buy it, just lucky for me the transcription is spot on, now i have to learn it, however long that will take!

Clearly it's just me.

Whilst I would love to join you all in identifying a classic and legendary bass part utilising my newly acquired double thumbing technique, I have to be honest and admit that the first bassline I played in 2009, executed with flair and aplomb at 00.01 a.m. on January 1st, was 'Auld Lang Syne'.

Why wouldn't it be?

We are shaking the set up a bit so I've had a few new songs to learn this week:

Michael Jackson : Get on the Floor (Got to love Louis Johnson)
Michael Jackson: Thriller/Billie Jean medley (Going to try some V Bass synth sounds on these)
Amy Wino: Rehab (Going to play this on my Stagg EDB)
Aretha Franklin: Natural Woman (Stagg again)
Christina Aguilera: Candyman (Another Stagg number. Crap song though which I'm going to try and persuade the band to drop)
Stevie Wonder: I Wish (played it as part of a medley before but we are going to do the full version. Nate Watts' crazy slides are great fun to learn)
Brand New Heavies: Midnight at the Oasis (Even with a transcription this is kicking my arse)
Martha and the Vandellas: Nowhere to Run

and just for fun(!) like some others here I've been trying Rhythm Stick. Got the notes and rhythm sorted but can't play it at full tempo yet. I will nail it even if it kills me though!

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='371711' date='Jan 6 2009, 10:31 AM']Clearly it's just me.

Whilst I would love to join you all in identifying a classic and legendary bass part utilising my newly acquired double thumbing technique, I have to be honest and admit that the first bassline I played in 2009, executed with flair and aplomb at 00.01 a.m. on January 1st, was 'Auld Lang Syne'.

Why wouldn't it be?[/quote]

:)

[quote name='rayfw' post='371773' date='Jan 6 2009, 11:31 AM']Christina Aguilera: Candyman (Another Stagg number. Crap song though which I'm going to try and persuade the band to drop)[/quote]

Another one that is going onto my 'won't play' list. It's shocking and I cringe everytime anyone even [i]mentions[/i] it never mind actually [i]plays[/i] it...

Edited by bilbo230763

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='371791' date='Jan 6 2009, 11:42 AM']Another one that is going onto my 'won't play' list. It's shocking and I cringe everytime anyone even [i]mentions[/i] it never mind actually [i]plays[/i] it...[/quote]
It really is pants isn't it?