Why become a member? ×

£400-£500 to spend on Amp, Whats around?

lamf37

Hi,
apologies for using my first post here to bum info', but I would rather trust you all than
some w***y shop assistant who is desperate for me to buy a LINE6 amp, because
"it's got these effects on it mate"...
I am about to start playing again in a Punk Covers band, playing old Pistols/Clash/Stranglers
type stuff and am looking at getting an amp, whether it's a combo or head and cab, that will
be capable of fillling small to medium gigs.
I dont mind the second hand market(which i presume these days is all i can afford with my limited funds)
any help lads will be amazing.
Cheers Rich

Here's a good versatile amp for pub gigs: :)
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=34623"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=34623[/url]
In that price range I went thru the same problems over the past few weeks.
It comes down to Ashdown MAG series, Gallien-Krueger solid state heads and cabs (1 x 15, 2 x 10, 4 x 10)
Hartke (esp. the LH500 valve head) a snip at about £225 for 500W of valve power.
The new Marshall MB4210 2 x 10 combo at 450W (thru 2 x 4 ohm cabs) very versatile tones and a lot of power for the money
Peavey second hand stuff, have a look thru the classifieds on the forum here, some great bargains.

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='367373' date='Dec 31 2008, 07:23 PM']Hartke (esp. the LH500 valve head) a snip at about £225 for 500W of valve power.[/quote]
I hate to nitpick but it's not 500W of valve power, it's 500W of solid state power with a valve preamp! :huh: Lovely things, a damn fine bargain they are.

Shameless plug time: I am selling a [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=34809"]Trace Elliot V-Type combo[/url] on here, it's a great little combo and plenty capable of all sized gigs it's done - from tiny to pretty huge. Would sound awesome for your punk stuff :)

your budget will give you loads of choice secondhand,on here or flea bay.if you want to buy new i would have thought ashdowns mag series might be one of the sounds you are looking for,well inside your budget if you go for a 300w combo.you could then add an extension cab later if need be.wish i had that budget ive got gas :huh: :)

The Ashdowns are good sounding heads but remember that the output on the ABM's and MAG's is in to 4 ohms so you would need either a single 4 ohms cab or two 8 ohms to get the full, stated output.
So a 300watt Ashdown combo will only give you around 200watts without a second cab. Might enough output.
I gigged with a MAG300 C-115 combo for a year or so and it seemed to do the job but now i have a better set up i can see that the MAG was struggling a bit.
I also felt the MAG's sounded a bit louder and more middy than my ABM i had for a few weeks.
You could look at a Ashdown little giant 1000, 500watts in to 4 ohms for £284. Ive not read any reviews of these heads yet but on paper the look like small, digital versions of the MAG heads, only cheaper.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='lamf37' post='368769' date='Jan 2 2009, 07:45 PM']Thanks for all the replies and offers, they are really appreciated,
can someone offer any opinion on this amp?
[url="http://www.dv247.com/invt/36093/"]http://www.dv247.com/invt/36093/[/url]
thanks again
Rich[/quote]

That amp looks good.

BUT, for that price you could get such a better set up buying used here!

Honestly, if you paired up my EBS cab or Richards Aguilar it'd still leave you with £400 for a head on here and you can get a hell of an amp for that price!

Just my 2 cents of course :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='368830' date='Jan 2 2009, 08:34 PM']Thats my thinking as well.
I think so far this thread has been based on a lower price point. now we are talking around the £800 mark we could more or less start over again.[/quote]
Sorry lads, i failed to mention, i can get that amp for £450.00

[quote name='lamf37' post='368833' date='Jan 2 2009, 08:38 PM']Sorry lads, i failed to mention, i can get that [b]amp[/b] for £450.00[/quote]

Sorry to be picky but if you are referring to the H&K 'combo' as opposed to 'amp' be sure to use the correct terminology as they are quite specific and different beasts and in different price brackets.

The top of the range H&K gear is quality stuff but I tried one of their mid-priced basskick combos (300w 1x15) some time back and it was poor 'when compared to the bassbase range' (I stress that as it would be fine for some folk but not on the same par as their higher level gear). I would assume that the QC stuff sits in the upper/mid price bracket so should be decent but I'd want to try before buying.

Lads,
Thanks for helping with the offers and pointers, I decided to go for the H&K QC415 Combo after all.
I think/hope I had a bargain at £410.00,
I received it this morning and gave it a quick run through and am delighted so far.
thanks again.
Rich