Why become a member? ×

More Ashdown extension cab questions...

Paul S

I have an Ashdown MAG 210T 300 EVO II combo and, at some point, would like to add an extension cab.

As I am not much of a risk taker it seems sensible to me to get an Ashdown cab to ensure compatability - I intend to get myself down to PMT in Southend to try the MAG 115 and MAG 210 and see which I prefer. As someone pointed out in one of my previous, seemingly endless posts about cabs, it is most likely I would prefer the sound of the 210 cab as I chose that in the first place but, I guess, my ears will judge it.

However, to finally get the the point, occasionally - and currently in the for sale forum - the ABM series cabs turn up secondhand for about the same cash, maybe a little more, than a new MAG cab would be.

These are rated at 350W, I think, which is a good deal higher than I need - would my combo drive it sufficiently?

Are there any other differences - better build quality etc?

Are there any advantages/disadvantages in getting an ABM cab as opposed to a MAG cab?

There is a value for money/peice of mind pay off perhaps. Any thoughts and wisdom gratefully accepted!

I'm of the opinion that Ashdown gear is best matched to it's range. MAG with MAG etc, this however isn't the setup I have - due more to budget more than choice.

Main differences are a better build quality of the cabinet with the ABM and it looks nicer ! They use the same speakers though.

I know my ABM head sounds much much better through an ABM cab than it does my own MAG, i'd expect it should be the same for the MAG head also. Definitely a case of suck it and see :).

i was under the impression that the speakers were different between the mag and abm, may very well be wrong though.
as for what to get it is indeed up to you, and you probably need to try the rig up quite loud as low volumes dont give you a real idea though that can be hard to do in a shop.
also try and get the cabs close to a wall.
go for what you like the sound of but do try the 2x10s stacked on their side so the tens line up vertically,and try them the normal way round to.
as for between the abm and mag if you can try them both with your combo and see what you prefer.
other than that i'm just jealous. :)

The ABM cabs are made of birch ply and are not too heavy, the MAG cabs I think are MDF or partical board. I would recommend the ABM stuff but I haven't tried the MAG gear so I can't say if one sounds better than the other.
I have used an ABM combo and an ABM cab and they were ok.

When you go to PMT are you going to take your own combo to try with the cabs?

When you mention the cab can handle 350 watts, that's all well and good, it is the sensitivity and frequency responses that you should pay some attention to but as thousands of people have said millions of times before, try with your ears.

What you are doing seems to be spot on, good luck and I hope the MAG cabs work out, I'm sure they will. :)

personally i wouldnt mix mag gear with the abm range,but try a abm cab with your mag combo if thats what you want yours ears will probably decide your decision at the end of the day,bear in mind that prices have gone up on gear so depending on your budget you might have to go for the mag cab.not many secondhand abm cabs around at the moment,although there is a abm 2x10 for sale on here.dont forget to haggle with pmt over your purchase,they are all hungry for sales at the moment.

Edited by bassmansky

I don't know much about Ashdown but I would guess that an ABM cab should have a "better" sound and build quality than a MAG cab. How would Ashdown sell ABM cabs if they weren't an improvement on their lower priced line? Then, if this is still your sound, you are in a good position to upgrade your combo to another ABM cab and a head.

I would recommend the ABM cabs for sound over the MAG, but if you are going to stack your combo onto the ext cab you might want to check dimensions to make sure it's fully supported as the ABM cabs can be quite a bit smaller.

[quote name='ezbass' post='366213' date='Dec 30 2008, 01:38 PM']I would recommend the ABM cabs for sound over the MAG, but if you are going to stack your combo onto the ext cab you might want to check dimensions to make sure it's fully supported as the ABM cabs can be quite a bit smaller.[/quote]
The ABM handles don't lend themselves to sideways stacking either. B&Q do good rubber feet though.

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='366221' date='Dec 30 2008, 01:50 PM']Apart from the difference in cab building materials, what else is different beteween MAG and ABM cabs?

Cheers

Matt[/quote]

They are the same Blueline drivers but with higher power handling than the MAG speakers - I think that's about it really.

The main difference in sound between them comes from the construction differences.

Thanks everyone - the usual sound advice. Literally, it seems. I'll pester those good folk in PMT in the new year and come back with my thoughts. If not a new cab. I also emailed Ashdown and I'll see what their reply is regarding the 'official' position of mixing the ranges.

In my ignorance my main concern was that the amp wouldn't be powerful enough to drive the bigger ABM cab but it seems this isn't an issue.

Chris b you make a very good point I hadn't considered at all but, yes, it would be a first step towards and upgrade, if ever the day came for one of those!

Thanks all.

Great here, innit! :)

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='366221' date='Dec 30 2008, 01:50 PM']Apart from the difference in cab building materials, what else is different beteween MAG and ABM cabs?

Cheers

Matt[/quote]
apart from the cost ?:) nothing i dont think,dont now if the mag 2x10 cab has a switchable horn like the abm cab though.should have looked on their website first!mag gear is great value for money IMO,but not on par with the abm range which you would expect considering the price difference.

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='366221' date='Dec 30 2008, 01:50 PM']....Apart from the difference in cab building materials, what else is different beteween MAG and ABM cabs?....[/quote]
On the web site the specs are completely different. Ashdown are defining their ABM line as "Pro" and their MAG line as "Semi-pro" so the facilities and components will certainly be different, including the speakers. Comparing the 4x10 cabs, the ABM speakers are higher wattage, more sensitive, and handle a better frequency range, which what you'd expect from a higher priced product line.