Why become a member? ×

Tunes for beginners?

Eight

Hi all,

I just bought my first bass guitar and am sorting out a teacher for the new year, but in the mean time I've just been practicing some of the boring (but necessary) stuff like scales, learning the fretboard notes etc. etc.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend some good rock/metal/blues songs to try as I'm having real problems here. Every time I think of something I find
the tab is woefully incorrect; or
I can't make out the bassline well enough on the track to decipher the tab; or
the songs I have the "dots" for are too hard; or
all of the above. :)

Such a newbie post I know, but I'm feeling a little demotivated now and thought it'd be better to try and remedy the situation even if it meant embarrassing myself here.

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='364376' date='Dec 27 2008, 06:39 PM']Hi Eight, and welcome.
I started a thread about this a while ago, Ill see if I can find the link for you.[/quote]
Cheers mate, I'd appreciate that. I did do a couple of searches before posting, but didn't find anything (probably made poor choices in search terms).

[quote name='Eight' post='364371' date='Dec 27 2008, 06:34 PM']Hi all,

I just bought my first bass guitar and am sorting out a teacher for the new year, but in the mean time I've just been practicing some of the boring (but necessary) stuff like scales, learning the fretboard notes etc. etc.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend some good rock/metal/blues songs to try as I'm having real problems here. Every time I think of something I find
the tab is woefully incorrect; or
I can't make out the bassline well enough on the track to decipher the tab; or
the songs I have the "dots" for are too hard; or
all of the above. :)

Such a newbie post I know, but I'm feeling a little demotivated now and thought it'd be better to try and remedy the situation even if it meant embarrassing myself here.[/quote]

Hi Eight and welcome!

I'm in a similar position to yourself, don't be embarrassed, everyone has to start somewhere.

I have a list of songs that are very easy along with some written guidance on how to play them.

This will get the motivation up as these are easy enough to get quick results with and play along to tracks.

If you PM me your email address, I'll send it all.

Regards

AM

I found it!

Im not sure if this what you actually want, but have a look and if there is something there for you,then so be it!
Other wise, listen to all your fave songs!

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=31035"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=31035[/url]

You might have to cut and past that, or youll find it on page 10 i think of the general bass discussion thread. there are a few of them on here.

Cheers
Matt

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='364382' date='Dec 27 2008, 06:46 PM']Just before he finds the link, can I just squeeze in:

Peaches - The Stranglers
Dancing in the Moonlight - Thin Lizzy
Whole Lotta Love - Led Zep
Smoke on The Water - Deep Purple

Good Luck and Happy Playing![/quote]

How about 'The Chain' ?
yeah!

[quote name='mewsie' post='364409' date='Dec 27 2008, 07:33 PM'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq6O_9RjCUs&feature=related"]gimme some lovin'[/url] is a nice straightforward song![/quote]
That's a very cool track - so cool I had to try playing it straight away. I got about half way through before my plucking hand seized up, lol.

And that octave riff just told me my bass is out of tune. *sigh*

:)

[quote name='Eight' post='364433' date='Dec 27 2008, 08:17 PM']That's a very cool track - so cool I had to try playing it straight away. I got about half way through before my plucking hand seized up, lol.

And that octave riff just told me my bass is out of tune. *sigh*

:)[/quote]

hahaha! doubly good exercise then! triply good, even!

x

The Chain was the first song I learned on bass, closely followed by loads of U2, The Cult, The Cure, Talking Heads, etc.
You'll find hundreds of songs that are easy to play. I suggest starting with something like "With or without you" by U2 as it has a very easy bassline but will help you to keep time as it's just constant 8th notes (there's bound to be tonnes of songs that could fit that bill that you already know tho).

Anyway, best of luck on learning bass. It's fairly easy to get the basics of.

G

You'll find loads of tabs on www.bassmasta.net
A lot of these with have a few wrong notations in but youlll soon figure it out.

Some good suggestions on this thread.

might also be a good idea to get a tutor who will give you a grounding in tecnique and the ability to read music.

Hope it all goes well.

Cheers
Matt

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='365420' date='Dec 29 2008, 12:40 PM']might also be a good idea to get a tutor who will give you a grounding in tecnique and the ability to read music.[/quote]
I agree. I plan to start taking lessons in the new year (I didn't think the christmas holidays was a good time to go hassling tutors :) ) - was just asking for suggestions to keep me going until then. I can read music (not amazingly well, but functional), but I know there's also so much beyond technique that a good teacher is going to be able to help me through.

And its great that so many people have suggested tunes to try out - thank you for this - I'm having a lot of fun playing (or trying to) through them.