Why become a member? ×

Age of Bass

Adam11Gs1B

Hi All, A few years back I inherited a few guitars and a Bass, being barely able to play guitar I paid little attention to the BASS. I decided to list the instruments on my insurance. Looks like you can pick up a second hand replacement for around £150 but as I am a hoarder and will never let it got I am more interested in the year of manufacture as there seem to be several versions. This one was built in Vietnam with serial No. starting 1210****. I suspect will will be early 2000s as that is around when he started taking lesson and I think he got it new but I just found out the Flamenco Guitar I was also given is from 1964 which put his interest in guitars and bass far further back than I knew so not sure now if this is a MK1 Milestone and older than I suspected.

Any help much appreaciated

Cheers

A,.

2 hours ago, Adam11Gs1B said:

Hi All, A few years back I inherited a few guitars and a Bass, being barely able to play guitar I paid little attention to the BASS. I decided to list the instruments on my insurance. Looks like you can pick up a second hand replacement for around £150 but as I am a hoarder and will never let it got I am more interested in the year of manufacture as there seem to be several versions. This one was built in Vietnam with serial No. starting 1210****. I suspect will will be early 2000s as that is around when he started taking lesson and I think he got it new but I just found out the Flamenco Guitar I was also given is from 1964 which put his interest in guitars and bass far further back than I knew so not sure now if this is a MK1 Milestone and older than I suspected.

Any help much appreaciated

Cheers

A,.

I have no idea what bass you're talking about. Any pictures?

As @kodiakblair says that is a Milestone 4. It has the later headstock logo, earlier versions had the 'modern' Peavey logo (i.e less pointy than the original). The Milestone 4's with the 'modern' logo would date from late 90's to 2001-02. The OP's with the later logo would be post 2002. These were mass produced, especially in black and they are almost always found on ebay for very little money, despite all Peavey's having such nice necks.

• Like 1

Great, thanks Kodiakblair and hooky_lowdown so a Milestone 4. Early 2000 is spot on to when I remember a bass amp appearing at my farther in laws house. That has really helped my OCD in cataloguing my instruments.

I like the idea of learning Bass but my ear is not great and I struggle to hear what the Bass is doing unless its very obvious like the pink panther thyme. I've learnt the intro to that and Booker T's green onions, can anyone recommend similar fun clear bass rifts to learn?

(stupid question alert) I assume my ear is bad at pick out bass notes or is there trick/nack to hearing the bass? Or is it like most things focus and practice? 

Thanks again

Adam