Why become a member? ×

1980's Trace Elliot Head (SOLD)

iamthewalrus

Hi all,
I've got a 1980's Trace Elliot head which is surplus to requirements, so have decided to put it up for sale.

It's an AH500 which I think dates back to about 1985/86. I bought it 2nd hand from the Bass Centre in Wapping 12 years ago - was gigged regularly between 1997 & 2006. There are quite a few battle scars on the casing, the uv light doesn't work & the control knobs on the rear for the seperate inputs wobble a bit. Dimensions: 20.5" x 7" x 16.5".

The good news is that it does work - the only reason why I don't use it is that I got a new amp for a wedding present from my wife (otherwise I'd still be using it). It is loud (in true Trace Elliot fashion). As it's taken a beating over the years, all I'm asking is £100. If you're interested, please feel free to PM me. Buyer collects from either Reading or Chessington as the weight is considerable. Pics below.

Cheers,
iamthewalrus.

Edited by iamthewalrus

Wow... thats in awesome condition!! I have the same pre in a combo from that era. Absolutely awesome! I bet thats an awesome unit... I fancy that myself if im to be honest, but I think at that price, its gonna go very soon. Maybe after Christmas, I may be very interested if it hasn't already gone! Is it bi-ampable? Would you be able to courier at my expense?
Very very nice anyway!!!

Edited by overwater#1

As described, it's well used but in reasonable nick for it's age. I'm struggling to find info / manuals / schematics for it. I think it's a Mark IV and has the Mono Full Range / Mono BiAmp / Stereo Full Range output switch.

Just got to find a few bits for it and I'll see how it works with my twin BFM cab build (after I've finished putting in the new kitchen!)

I'm in most of Christmas / New Year if you want to pop around and play through it :)

[quote name='Hamster' post='361062' date='Dec 22 2008, 04:13 PM']As described, it's well used but in reasonable nick for it's age. I'm struggling to find info / manuals / schematics for it. I think it's a Mark IV and has the Mono Full Range / Mono BiAmp / Stereo Full Range output switch.

Just got to find a few bits for it and I'll see how it works with my twin BFM cab build (after I've finished putting in the new kitchen!)

I'm in most of Christmas / New Year if you want to pop around and play through it :)[/quote]

It's definitely a Mark IV. I had a Mark V AH250, which looks similar, but I recognise the subtle differences. If you can find Mark V details, they'll be the same.

From memory, you've got two 250 watt amps into 4 ohms. They can be run full range, bi-amp or stereo.

EDIT: If you got to this page [url="http://www.trace-elliot.co.uk/support_3.php?flag=GB&lan=UK"]http://www.trace-elliot.co.uk/support_3.ph...g=GB&lan=UK[/url] and choose "AH 500X Series 6", that document should give you a fair amount of relevant information.

Edited by bassaussie

[quote name='bassaussie' post='361101' date='Dec 22 2008, 03:42 PM']It's definitely a Mark IV. I had a Mark V AH250, which looks similar, but I recognise the subtle differences. If you can find Mark V details, they'll be the same.

From memory, you've got two 250 watt amps into 4 ohms. They can be run full range, bi-amp or stereo.

EDIT: If you got to this page [url="http://www.trace-elliot.co.uk/support_3.php?flag=GB&lan=UK"]http://www.trace-elliot.co.uk/support_3.ph...g=GB&lan=UK[/url] and choose "AH 500X Series 6", that document should give you a fair amount of relevant information.[/quote]

Thanks for that :) I've always fancied having a Trace but don't really know one from the other.

Voxpop - I pm'd wthin 4 mins of the ad going up - if it makes you feel better ^_^

[quote name='Hamster' post='361197' date='Dec 22 2008, 05:02 PM']Thanks for that :) I've always fancied having a Trace but don't really know one from the other.

Voxpop - I pm'd wthin 4 mins of the ad going up - if it makes you feel better ^_^[/quote]

Thanks Hamster......have a great xmas.

[quote name='Hamster' post='361197' date='Dec 22 2008, 06:02 PM']Thanks for that :) I've always fancied having a Trace but don't really know one from the other.[/quote]

They're very good amps, and the one you've got will provide more than enough power for most gigs. I gigged an AH250 around Sydney for years, and I never encountered a gig where it didn't have enough power. My personal opinion is that the Mark IV and V amps represent Trace at their very best, they were just awesome amps, especially when you consider what the competition had to offer at the time they were available.

[quote name='bassaussie' post='361229' date='Dec 22 2008, 05:34 PM']They're very good amps, and the one you've got will provide more than enough power for most gigs. I gigged an AH250 around Sydney for years, and I never encountered a gig where it didn't have enough power. My personal opinion is that the Mark IV and V amps represent Trace at their very best, they were just awesome amps, especially when you consider what the competition had to offer at the time they were available.[/quote]

I used to have an early AH150 and never played a gig where it didn't have enough power!

Hi all,
Would just like to say thanks to everyone who took the time to PM me - I've answered everyone who sent one.

To be honest, I didn't actually think anyone would buy the amp & would be destined to be forgotten. Many thanks to Hamster for meeting up today & collecting.

Cheers,
iamthewalrus

[quote name='iamthewalrus' post='361329' date='Dec 22 2008, 07:36 PM']Hi all,
Would just like to say thanks to everyone who took the time to PM me - I've answered everyone who sent one.

To be honest, I didn't actually think anyone would buy the amp & would be destined to be forgotten. Many thanks to Hamster for meeting up today & collecting.

Cheers,
iamthewalrus[/quote]

MB1. :)
.... Jammy Rodent! :huh: