Why become a member? ×

Audition Pieces..

Gretschilli

[color="#8B0000"][size=4][font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]I've got an audition to get into music college coming up, and i want to get ahead with preparations, and so was wondering whether anyone had any suggestions for audition pieces - what would really impress you guys and what would you be looking for in a player !?

I've had suggestions such as Dolphin Dance, Rampage - Marcus Miller, Nowhere to Run (Jamerson), some Jamiroquai tracks.. Then i thought of transcribing a piece..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated !!

Happy Christmas ! :) :huh: [/font][/size][/color]

[quote name='Gretschilli' post='359123' date='Dec 19 2008, 08:17 PM'][color="#8B0000"][size=4][font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]I've got an audition to get into music college coming up, and i want to get ahead with preparations, and so was wondering whether anyone had any suggestions for audition pieces - what would really impress you guys and what would you be looking for in a player !?

I've had suggestions such as Dolphin Dance, Rampage - Marcus Miller, Nowhere to Run (Jamerson), some Jamiroquai tracks.. Then i thought of transcribing a piece..

Happy Christmas ! :) :huh: [/font][/size][/color][/quote]

Heyo,

Well the songs you've listed are a very good place to start, a very good variety between them and all quite bass specific. If it was me you were auditioning for, I'd be looking to see if your more capable of keeping things simple and if you have a good feel for groove, I'd also look to see if (when applicable) your compitent when it comes to soloing both with an ensemble and without. If you do manage to select a piece and transcribe it successfully that would also go down quite well, it'll show better examples of your theory and ability put together.

I hope thats some help.

Josh.

[quote name='Gretschilli' post='359123' date='Dec 19 2008, 08:17 PM'][color="#8B0000"][size=4][font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]I've got an audition to get into music college coming up, and i want to get ahead with preparations, and so was wondering whether anyone had any suggestions for audition pieces - what would really impress you guys and what would you be looking for in a player !?

Happy Christmas ! :huh: :huh: [/font][/size][/color][/quote]

Good choices, especially 'Nowhere to Run' - can't go wrong with some good Motown. :) 'Tears of a Clown' & 'Love Is An Itching In My Heart' have got good grooves as well.

Good luck with the audition

A college will see so many players and if yet another Marcus Miller/Jaco/Jamerson (yawn!) turns up they will probably fall smack in the middle of the competition, and could easily disappear off the radar!
Try and be different and show some imagination. My suggestion is to finger pick, with chords, lead line and bass line, Bye Bye Blackbird.

Donkeys years ago i went to Music collage in the states....
And the advice i was given for the audition was..
Try to show some Musicianship..
Rather than just a Bass chops merchant with stick on ears.. :)
[ And at the time i proberly was both :huh: ]
Whatever you do try and make it sound musical.
A chordal arrangement of a tune is usually good for that.
Good luck, with whatever you do.
I am sure it will be fine.

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='359556' date='Dec 20 2008, 01:29 PM']Donkeys years ago i went to Music collage in the states....
And the advice i was given for the audition was..
Try to show some Musicianship..
Rather than just a Bass chops merchant with stick on ears.. :)
[ And at the time i proberly was both :huh: ]
Whatever you do try and make it sound musical.
A chordal arrangement of a tune is usually good for that.
Good luck, with whatever you do.
I am sure it will be fine.

Garry[/quote]

+1 for the chordal stuff, that always sounds nice!

I'd try to include as many grade 8 techniques as possible, but in a tasteful manner. Small sections of tapping, harmonics, slapping and so on can really impress the 'judge'. Don't overdo it though, as most won't want to see a 5 minute summary of your chops, but rather a taster of your overall musical ability.

[quote name='stonecoldbass' post='359149' date='Dec 19 2008, 08:47 PM']I think a cross selection of styles always goes down well, maybe look at 'come on come over' by jaco, a jazz standard or 2, maybe a latin/funk thing?
good luck,
keep us posted!
craig[/quote]

I don’t know what other FE colleges ere are like, the one I went to the staff would not be able to do most of Jaco, or Marcus Miller justice never mind the pupils.