Why become a member? ×

Singers that don't

SH73

6 minutes ago, bassace said:

And poet. But no singer.

Agreed.

I played in a band, on and off,  back in the early '80s and occasionally we did, at the behest of singer/guitarist number one, a couple of Dylan numbers. Suddenly,  from his normal, soprano voice would come this nasal, caterwauling whine. Jeez, it was excruciating!

A few years later, I saw him doing a solo spot and he'd dropped his range and sounded enjoyable to listen to.

My Dylan torture song is Rainy Day Women 12 and 35

On 24/06/2019 at 09:16, NikNik said:

Phil Collins as Genesis' front man.

For me the one that worked.

The best thing that happened was PG leaving genesis, for both him and them.

I would say that guy in Greta Van Fleet.

Oh, and Ian Gillan in Black sabbath, not so good.

Edited by Woodinblack

6 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

The guy from Stone Temple Pilots fronting Velvet Revolver. 

He had absolutely no business being there and they were a mediocre band because of it. They should have gone with Sebastian Bach. 

Scott Weiland in Velvet Revolver for me as well. 

I always thought Josh Todd from Buck Cherry would have been a great fit. However I heard that when he jammed with the band Slash and Duff thought he had the tendencies to be another Axl. Basically when you lose out on a gig to Scott Weiland because the band think that Scott Weiland is going to be less hassle than you it is pretty damning. 

Perhaps controversial I know, but it seemed to me like he was doing a substandard Axl Rose rather than being the kind of cool version of Scott Weiland that I actually liked in latter period STP. It was especially off-putting in the sense that Weiland had adopted very Eddie Vedder traits in the Plush era STP. Ultimately when I heard Velvet Revolver I always thought 'does Eddie Vedder ever get drunk and sing some Guns 'n' Roses songs for a laugh?'. Make no mistake, if he did, I would pay to listen. 

I would also say Lajon Witherspoon from Sevendust. Not because he is bad and the band are good. More that he is a great singer stuck in a (very) average nu-metal band. 

Edited by thodrik
I can't spell
  • Like 1