Why become a member? ×

Gah! Gig horrors!

Cantdosleepy

We've got a gig (my last with this band) on Friday at the Dry Bar in Barbican. We booked the venue and paid to use it for a private function, giving the cash upfront. Our band and two mates' bands are playing. We've sold out all of the pre-bought tickets. We're doing DJing and other stuff. All looking good.

Just found out that the promoter has added another FIVE acts to the night. Three are full bands. He's given them half hour slots - starting times of 19:30, 20:00, 20:30. Given all the prepaid private party bands will want a soundcheck, and given we're all adults with adult jobs so won't be able to get to the venue before 6pm, this isn't remotely possible.

Private function, mate.

Grrrrr. Etc.

Contact the tacked on bands yourself and politely tell them that they will not be playing, using booking error as an excuse.

Does the promoter even have a clue how gigs work? I mean there's just no time for the bands to switch over, let alone soundcheck. I've experienced such people before. They seem to think more bands = more people but they never think about the logistics of the whole thing.

Edited by TheDarkReaver

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='356096' date='Dec 16 2008, 04:00 PM']It is Club McGriff, but it wasn't done on the pretext of pay-to-play. The singer is dealing with it - should be okay.[/quote]

Yeah, when I suggested he might be getting 'confused' I was giving Mr. Griffiths the benefit of doubt. He doesn't do stuff on the pretext of pay to play, just on the pretext of 'encouraging' bands to bring down a minimum of 20 people.*

Or maybe he doesn't do stuff like that any more and just made an innocent mistake.

*Yes, that's another euthemism.

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='356038' date='Dec 16 2008, 03:00 PM']We've got a gig (my last with this band) on Friday at the Dry Bar in Barbican. We booked the venue and paid to use it for a private function, giving the cash upfront. Our band and two mates' bands are playing. We've sold out all of the pre-bought tickets. We're doing DJing and other stuff. All looking good.

Just found out that the promoter has added another FIVE acts to the night. Three are full bands. He's given them half hour slots - starting times of 19:30, 20:00, 20:30. Given all the prepaid private party bands will want a soundcheck, and given we're all adults with adult jobs so won't be able to get to the venue before 6pm, this isn't remotely possible.

Private function, mate.

Grrrrr. Etc.[/quote]

Sue him. If you want I can write a threatening letter for you. I can't sign it though - you'd have to sign it yourself.

Good good. On the night just tell him that none of the other bands are playing OR you are taking back your money AND all the money generated at the door. And if he refuses, kick the sh*t out of him and then piss on his bloodied mouth while he's lying unconscious in a back alley. You know, if you decide the letter isn't working.