Left leaderboard
JvJazz83

any experience with Ibanez Promethean heads?

Hi, guys!
I'm just trying to figure out if a Promethean head might be the right amp for me.
I currently own a GK MB200 head, playing to a GK MBE 210 cab (1. gen. with neo elements). This amp sound a little harsh and boomy to me playing my JV Jazz Bass. (Have to cut back the bass and treble a lot)
An Ibanez Promethean head (P500H) has surfaced on a sales-page here in Norway for about the equivalent of £130. I have read many good things about this amp, but nearly nothing newer than 2015 or something. ( I know it's discontinued). I also read about the slow start issues, and will ask about that if I contact the seller.
So. Is it fair to believe that the Promethean might give me a different sound going through the same GK cab?
Can the eq and "vibe"(?) knob make it a little "warmer" sounding, with less of a mid scoop?
Does anyone have these anymore? experience With both would be awesome.

PS. Other amps i have been looking at in the 500-800w range, cost from £300 up used...

Thanks in advance.
Halvor

Not sure about the Promethean head, but I recently bought the little P20 practice amp & it's brilliant. Very well-but with a good range of sounds from such a little monster.

If the head is anything like, I imagine it's very good.

I used to have a GK MB210 (the 500W combo version with the 2x10).  I also still have a Harley Benton BA500H which is pretty much the same thing as the Promethean.  It is my back-up amp and it sounds really nice with a P bass with flats through an old 1x15 cab and my particular playing style.  I would say yes, it's easier to dial in a warmer tone compared to the GK.  But there are so many variables involved.  To take a different approach - how about a Zoom MS-60B, B3, or B1 pedal?  You can plug this into your GK.  It has many amp emulations built in, and flicking through them and tweaking is a lot quicker and cheaper than buying & selling heads when you are searching for your best sound or experimenting with all the options.

Thank you for your replies.

I am looking for a second amp head anyway, so I thought I might try the Promethean. Get a little more power as well as have the ability to rehearse together with my 15 year old, who is just starting to learn. I play only as a hobby, so budget is tight. No paying gigs at the moment...

• Like 1

I used to have the original Promethean combo, which featured the head you're talking about.

It's an awesome piece, very loud with a nice warm tone. The graphic EQ is very useful and all in, if I'm honest, I wish I'd never sold mine.

I have no idea why on earth they stopped making them, but it was a bad move. The newer ones are a bit pants...

If I was you I'd go for it 😎

Eude

I remember the warm and round tones and power coming from a 15" combo I used on a gig once. I was impressed by the sound of this little Ibanez. I think it's a good amp for the price. Good luck.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Chrisbassboy5
      Hi Folks, am a professional tuba player and string bass but now out 10years from the Army and 50th birthday in Sept just treated to an 8mth old IBANEZ SR655. in immaculate find with Ddario' flats for £440. Love it and off we go learning and enjoying 'woody. 
      See you around folks..  Chris

• By Notsowyldryan
      A good well balanced bass with a great variation of tones. It’s served me well through my university years but don’t have a use for it anymore. It even comes with its own fitted case! 
      PM me if interested  

• By lorin926
      EDIT: PRICE DROP: £500
      Edit: This is also being offered for sale on consignment at the Bass Gallery.

Hello Everyone!

I'm offering up my Ibanez SRSC805 in Deep Twilight Flat finish. The bass is just over 1 year old, I bought it in April 2018 and it has served me well, but I miss having 6 strings. So, I'm selling it to fund purchase of a 6 stringer. The bass has not been used heavily, but it has some minor, discrete dings. I've been using it averagely 4 times a month at church.

This bass will not be sold with a case. 

I will not ship this bass. Cash on Collection from me in Uxbridge, may be able to meet and deliver in London (within reason, since I don't drive).
      Dings: 1) on the underside edge of the body, where the guitar makes contact with the thigh.
                   2) Headstock logo has a minor flaw
      I tried to capture these in the pics.
      This is not being offered for the UK market anymore, so here's a link to Ibanez's USA website for you to see the specs: https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/detail/srsc805_1p_03.html . 
      Please message me if you're interested.

• By waveydavy
      For sale set of 5 gotoh resolite tuners. Lightest version of the gotoh gb7 style heads. Gold, excellent condition. 3l, 2r,( or 3 bass side, 2 treble side as on Spector and Warwick 5strings)
      These are not a direct replacement for schaller m4, 14mm hole required
      link to spec- http://g-gotoh.com/international/product/gb350.html
      the lighted weight bass tuners available 

• By TAzMilitello
      *Last price drop: about £270 = €300
      FOR SALE this great 5 strings Ibanez GSRM25BK miKro 28.6" Short-Scale 5 String Bass w/Black finish. Comes with original Ibanez strap, documents, keys, both original brand new ibanez Mikro soft bag, cost recently 30€ from Thomann, and an hard case (with a value of 70€) and always as a gift the new Sansone Strings Set (with a value of 60€ and made in Italy especially for this bass), equal to those already mounted on the bass recently, all accessories that obviously do not give on the purchase with the bass!
      Small hands make big sounds with this Ibanez miKros. These compact bass have many of the features of their bigger counterparts, great sound, great low-B string,  so really comfortable!
      Photo of bass 😉📸: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Qt5q_QefoAqberQDDq3u-u85yE84vngG
      Foreign Currency: about payments different from the Euros currency you can pay by clicking using this ►Transferwise bank transfer◄ link.
      Specifications:
      Neck Type: GSRM5 Maple Neck 726mm/28.6" Scale Body: Agathis Fretboard: Rosewood fretboard w/ White dot inlay Fret: Medium frets Number of frets: 22 Bridge: B15 bridge Neck PU: standard J neck PU (passive) Bridge: standard J bridge PU (passive) Hardware color: Chrome Color: Black Setup by an expert luthier, wonderfully resonant woods, perfectly functional, really good conditions!

ABOUT SHIPPING:
      Bass is located in Italy (Sicily). No problems for international fast shipping (following prices including shockproof packaging):
      To Italy: 30€ (1/2 working days) To Ireland/Great Britain: 60€ (4/5 working days) To Germany and Austria: 45€ (3/4 working days) To Spain: 60€ (4/5 working days) To France: 65€ (4/5 working days) To Lithuania: 75€ (4/5 working days) To Romania: 80€ (4/5 working days) To Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands: 65€ (3/4 working days) To Czech Republic (CZ): 80€ (4/5 working days) To USA and Canada: 110€ (6/8 working days)