Why become a member? ×

New place to buy basses

Prosebass

Dear distant departed days!

Don't know what happened to the rest of the Arias, but [url="http://www.btinternet.com/~shadows_archive/shadows/AlanJ/AJones.htm"]Alan Jones[/url] is a kind of a crypto-Shadow, or long-term Jet Harris stand-in. Don't think that's an Aria he's playing in the pics, though... :)

Wow - I remember those ads, and I'm suddenly feeling very old. 1980-ish? I paid £250 for my Precision at the beginning of '81 (and another £50 for the case). I've still got a bunch of music mags dating back to '75 stashed away.

As for the bass that Alan Jones is holding, it looks like a one of the PE series guitars Aria did but I've never seen a bass version. How strange.

[quote name='Prosebass' post='354007' date='Dec 14 2008, 01:43 AM']Shocking prices......if only

[attachment=17188:IMG_2099.JPG]

Now we know where all the Aria's are ! and who is Alan Jones.....and don't tell me to Wiki it I'm trying to promote conversation....

[attachment=17189:IMG_2105.JPG]

And this guy looks over the moon ...

[attachment=17190:IMG_2106.JPG]

Better days.....I dunno just different, certainly more innocent .
God I must be bored.... :)[/quote]

You've just reminded me...................
Without knowing it at the time, I bought a Fender Jazz bass that belonged to him back in the 1980s. I was playing in Birmingham and had to get an urgent repair done to my fretless Precision. Took it along to a small repair/shop and amongst other items for sale, I saw this rather nice Jazz bass on the wall and a Roland Space Echo pedal, both in tasty condition. I bought both of them on the spot. I think the bass was about £300
A while later, a friend was working in the "Time" musical band in London and phoned me to ask if I still had the Jazz bass, which I did. I was informed that the bass had been sold "without authority" by the shop and the owner, Alan Jones, who was playing bass in the "Time" show, would like it back! Aaarrrggghhh.
All credit due to the man, we eventually talked on the phone and he offered to pay me whatever I had paid for the bass so no unpleasantries at all. All was done in a friendly manner, I seem to remember that the explanation was that he had put the jazz bass in the shop for repair and the repairer had thought that it was also for sale. (Hmmm, never did ask more about that!)
I'd also forgotten that he later had a terrible auto crash so all credit that he got back on his feet and it seems is still playing.

Edited by mybass

[quote name='BigRedX' post='354195' date='Dec 14 2008, 01:07 PM']Thanks.

I've got that very magazine somewhere in a box in the attic along with most of the other issues from 1974 to the early 80s.

Now I can see the Shergold prices they look like much better VFM IMO. £399 for a double-neck like Mike Rutherford'? Bargain![/quote]

Early copies of IM are bringing anything from £5.00 -£10.00 on fleabay at the moment. I think I had everyone from about 78 to 82 but they got thrown years ago. Interesting adverts and some very in depth interviews and technical tests.

My early copies of IM will be very battered, since they were pretty much the only contact I had with pro musical instruments as an impressionable teenager, as none of the local music stores had anything better than Grant and Columbus copies in stock.

Stephen Delft was my hero in those days and I made my own guitar while I was in the 6th form by following his articles.