Why become a member? ×

Mind your P's and J's

Sambrook

11 hours ago, Davo-London said:

Unfortunately no, I don't have any recordings.

The Jazz configuration was definitely Jazz-like, unsurprisingly, although I have it wired with one volume and one tone control, and a blend control, so it is a bit different from the usual. 

I moved the neck pickup towards the bridge because I like the sound of pickups closer to the bridge, for the better definition they provide, and I wanted to try something that would not sound like any other of my basses. It was just a bit of an experiment. 

I used a pair of DiMarzio Area J, pickups. They're humbuckers but they sound reasonably 'traditional'. I have them on a Jazz bass and sound really nice. I wired each in parallel. The bridge pickup alone sounds like you'd expect. The 'neck' alone sounds like a sharper Precision with a bit less low end. Actually no, it really doesn't sound like a Precision :D but it does have a bit of that midrange 'bark'. It has a bit too much high midrange, but turning down the tone control tames it a little and it's a cool sound. However, it's with both pickups on that it really comes alive. I use the blend control to make it a bit fatter or a bit more defined depending on which way I turn it. I think I will rewire each pickup in series, for a fatter sound, although maybe all I need is to be able to put both pickups in series with each other... I don't know, there's a few combinations I haven't tried yet so I don't know which is best.

It takes less than 10 minutes to turn it back into a 'Jazz': simply replace the pickguard and screw the neck pickup in the other position. Add another 10 minutes and I could make it a PJ ;) Large pickguards are useful if you want to experiment with pickup positions etc.

On 26/04/2019 at 17:19, dannybuoy said:

The extra pickup and pot does affect the loading of the P pickup and change the sound ever so slightly. In the same way that your bass will sound brighter with 500K pots vs 250K. Many purists prefer a solo P for this reason, others fit a toggle switch, others don't notice or don't care about the difference!

This is interesting.  I was going to change the preamp on my Fender deluxe (to get a better passive circuit ironicly).  Maybe I'll disconnect the J pickup and Blend control and see how it sounds.

Very cool McNach.  I confess with all the Jazzes I've played, I find the Jazz neck PU sounds a bit disappointing and not very Precision-like.  Curiously my neck Jazz PU (Nordstrand) on a custom Cliff Bordwell ball bass sounds better and more like a Precision bass than any Fender Jazz.  I can't explain that as the ball bass is totally non-Fender in wood and design (walnut, neck-through, shape, 2-octave neck etc).  I'm sure it's not the Norstrands as I've put them in a Fender Jaco Jazz bass (MIJ) and still don't like the neck-only PU sound.  Totally flummoxed.  

Great to see your experimentation.  Can you define the difference in sound between the two neck PU positions?

Regards

Davo

Edited by Davo-London
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Davo-London said:

Very cool McNach.  I confess with all the Jazzes I've played, I find the Jazz neck PU sounds a bit disappointing and not very Precision-like.  Curiously my neck Jazz PU (Nordstrand) on a custom Cliff Bordwell ball bass sounds better and more like a Precision bass than any Fender Jazz.  I can't explain that as the ball bass is totally non-Fender in wood and design (walnut, neck-through, shape, 2-octave neck etc).  I'm sure it's not the Norstrands as I've put them in a Fender Jaco Jazz bass (MIJ) and still don't like the neck-only PU sound.  Totally flummoxed. 

My Mike Lull PJ5 is the best "Fender" I've ever played. Proof that the quality of the construction, components and wood actually can make a difference when it's done well enough. Even so I'll usually only use the P pickup for 90% of the time. The P bridge pickup is good but if I want any more punch or dynamics I'll use my Jazz.

On 26/04/2019 at 14:13, nightsun said:

I found the J pickup on my P/J would allow me to dial in a little growl when needed. Guess it's horses for courses

My own thoughts exactly. I've had several PJ's over the last couple of years, and the added J pickup didn't seem to negatively affect the P pickup in any way (not that I could hear)
My Limelight PJ sounds absolutely superb - I mainly use the P pickup, and simply add a little J to suit the song or sound I want it to. Works every time for me :)