Why become a member? ×

Finding a Band

bubinga5

Hey people,im currently not in a band so am looking for other musicians..anyone got any suggestions on good sources on the net or elsewhere..

Im into funk jazz soul, and that seems to be rare round my area..I thought bass players were rare and everyone was looking for them..i have transport, good equipment and a good attitude IMHO, so am ready to go...

Any suggestions??

Is everyone else in bands on here??

Edited by bubinga5

Try musician classifieds websites like [url="http://www.partysounds.co.uk"]Partysounds[/url], [url="http://www.joinmyband.co.uk"]Join My Band[/url] and [url="http://www.formingbands.co.uk"]Forming Bands[/url], as well as any local musician forums there are in your area (if any). Actually, pretty much any music website that has a 'Musicians Wanted' forum could prove fruitful - I found my current band completely by chance while looking on [url="http://www.drownedinsound.com"]Drowned in Sound[/url]. I found that it took a while to find a band who were playing the same sort of music that I wanted to, and there were a couple of failed auditions along the way, but ultimately it was time well spent. Good luck!

I found Musofinder quite good. Like Joe, I had a few bad auditions, a few successful ones I subsequently wished had been unsuccessful (bands are keen to find bassist and often say all sorts of things about the style of music they play to get you in, and then want you to play root notes to Shania Twain covers at 1/1oth of the dbs that the guitarist - whose band it is - plays at), and a couple of all-round successes. Go to as many auditions as you can, it's fun and a great learning experience
Good luck
Chris

I've not had any luck with the musicians sites like Musofinder myself - I think the only responses I ever had on them were from people cutting and pasting a standard "how much does it pay" type reply, and clearly hadn't even bothered to read the ad. I had by far the best response from ads on Gumtree.

Gumtree, Trade It (free ads paper around Bristol),
There are a few Glos based forums.. Ask Parker Muse for pointers as he is in your area.
Literate, clearly written and specific adverts saying what you want to do, level of ambition, commitment, pro, semi-pro, age, influences etc. - put them up in music shops, college noticeboards, give them out at jam sessions.

Play at and make contacts at jam sessions and let people know you are looking.

Yea, just go to and play at open mics and stuff, chat to people and make new friends. I've gotten a ton of gigs this year just from doing that, through new contacts and from being asked from the open mic venue to play a gig there, plus its great fun in itself.

Also your best bet ad wise is to put up and answer ads in music shops. The effort and interpersonal contact involved in putting one up or responding to one seems to filter out most of the idiots.

Edited by Oscar South

band mix is good. join my band is full of very young people into green day and slayer.

oh and i should say both forming bands and band mix charge, however forming bands wont let you post email and website addresses but band mix dont stop you so you get the 'service' for free if you use your nogging!

good luck.

Edited by Rusty Shackleford